“Excellent Value”

LSE Carr-Saunders Hall
Ranked #68 of 948 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Carr-Saunders Hall isn't a commercial hotel shouldn't be compared with one and offers dorm type accommodation in central London during vacation periods at really good value. There is security, privacy and breakfast, charged at reasonable rates; the rooms, bathrooms, etc are clean, breakfast offers a wide choice of food.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We were in London for a few days with two small children and not a lot of money. Carr-Saunders Hall provided us with a really excellent base for visiting lots of different parts of London. Although the rooms are pretty basic in themselves, the beds were comfortable and everything was scrupulously clean. We paid £60 per night for each twin room, and this included towels and a really generous breakfast. I would recommend it to anyone - my two children (3 yrs & 6 yrs) were very happy, as was my mother (over 60).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jane H
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was visiting London in the summer of 2010 and instead of staying in a dorm room I found myself fancying something a little bit more private for a change, however still on a budget. It was then that I came across Carr-Saunders Hall just off Tottenham Court Road.
Carr-Saunders Hall only operates as accommodation during the university breaks because it is a student halls of residence during university term time.
I found the rooms to be priced only slightly higher than for a hostel in the centre of London, and for the low price I received a clean, fully-furnished room with two beds, an excellent view of the post-office tower right outside of my window, and I received excellent shower and toilet facilities immediately opposite across the hallway which were large enough for the people on the floor.

The breakfast that was included was excellent and you were entitled to around seven pieces of cooked food (with a small fee for extra pieces). The best thing for me was the rooftop terrace on which you could eat your breakfast and admire the post-office tower or just to admire London awakening from atop the building.

Excellent accommodation. Only flaw is that it's only available during the university breaks and not for the whole year!

Room Tip: All rooms are incredibly sound proof and you'll have a great night's sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank harrychown
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at Carr-Saunders Hall in April with my teenage son because we were attending an LSE visit day. It was a good opportunity for a prospective student to test the accommodation. It is in an excellent location for a visit to central London. It has to be remembered that this is student halls. The decor is dated and very tatty but it is clean. We had two single rooms. The rooms have a bed, desk, small wardrobe, and sink. No rooms are ensuite. By choice I would not stay anywhere with shared bathroom facilities. I recommend packing flip-flops to wear in the shower. When booking there was not much information about what was provided but there are basic toiletries and a towel provided. No mirror. No hairdryer. Breakfast canteen style - very good value and good choice. I would recommend Carr-Saunders Hall for young lone travelers who want to avoid single supplement and don't mind shared bathrooms - they will get good value, great location, and good breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LMcG_12
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here during the London Marathon and will be staying again in July. We had a twin room which was very clean, if a bit worn (but it is student accommodation after all). The beds were very comfortable and the heating very efficient.

The price of £53 for the night for a twin room was marginally more than a hostel, but for that you get your own private room and a good nights sleep and a proper breakfast. Hostels in central London charge anything between £76 and £90 per night for a twin room with shared facilities, so this is a bargain! I was impressed the breakfast and the cleanliness of the dining hall.

The showers and toilets were very clean, the only problem I saw was the level of cleanliness in the kitchen. Other guests had left behind plates, mess and wrappers everywhere and although I recognise that this is down to others' laziness and poor hygeine standards it would be helpful if the staff could wander by now & again to tidy up.

Other than that, the location is excellent and it is a very good standard of accommodation for the price. Would definitely recommend.

3  Thank west49th
Reviewed May 3, 2012

If you are under the age or 25 (or want to feel that way) or have a large family, this dorm property might do for a night in central London. Hostels are a better bet, however. It is difficult to find, even with a London A-Z, and especially in the rain. Take a taxi. Remember that the room barely has a wash basin, and the loo is through several hall fire doors and unisex - can be a challenge in the middle of the night. The showers are, well, je ne sais pas du tout. Look for the soap,shampoo, etc. in stapled small brown bags on the desks. The breakfast in the rooftop cafeteria is excellent and included. If you ever wanted to see the Post Office tower at barely above eye level, this is your chance. Also close to the British Museum.

Room Tip: Close to a toilet.
4  Thank campion106
Reviewed April 28, 2012

All I have to say is that it was much better than I expected. The bed was a bit old, but good enough for a couple of days. As it was my first time sharing bathroom, I was really afraid I would regret this choice, but it was really clean and I had no problem at all. Actually, I did not even see other people there! The breakfast was excellent! Great variety, and you can, as many of the students do, save a fruit or muffin for later! The only thing I didn't like was the check in time (3pm). I think it's too late. I was able to leave my suitcase there earlier and check in later, though.
I'd certainly go back and I highly reccommend this place.

2  Thank LUCIANA M
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Carr-Saunders Hall, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Thank you for your useful feedback, we hope to see you again soon!