LSE Bankside House
Doubletree
$405
$337
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $397/night.

$322
$299
$198
$165
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $194/night.

$155
Novotel
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$130
$122
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $139/night.

$149
$1,505
$1,193
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstudent accommodationtate modernglobe theatresouth bankbasement barmillennium bridgehalls of residenceshared bathroomsouthwark tubeborough marketbasic accommodationnational theatrelaundry facilitiessingle roomst paulsclean towelsbeans
Reviewed October 1, 2013

don't expect first class hotel with room service, but a clean room to rest and sleep while staying in London, near restaurants, shops and underground station, with friendly staff and mixed customers. Perfect for those who still feel student inside, to avoid for ladies and gentlemen who want to feel 1st class people waiting for grooms to take them to the lifts...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear pwlfrenchfan,

We're pleased to hear that you found your stay at Bankside House provided you with an ideal location for visiting London and good value during your stay. We're also pleased to hear you liked the amenities in the local area!

We hope to see you again soon at Bankside House!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The location is brilliant and so very easy to get to all the places we had come to London to see. We got to breakfast early to avoid the queue and couldn't fault what was provided to start the day.
Staff at the desk were extremely helpful and we had no problems leaving our luggage in the room at reception though I was a little concerned about leaving anything valuable as the door didn't appear to be locked at one point.
Our rooms were adequate for the type of accomodation (I.e. Student in term time) though we did find that early in the morning we got the noise of other room's plumbing. We had a splendid view of the Shard, the room was clean, internet facilities in reception and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear C_W,

We're very happy to hear that you found the location of Bankside House brilliant for exploring London during your stay with us. I'm particularly pleased to read your kind comments about our staff - this is an area in which we aim to provide a top quality service for our guests and it's always gratifying to hear this is paying off. I will be sure to pass these comments on to our team.

We do hope you'll stay with us again at Bankside House! We've just had Wi-Fi installed across the building to ensure a better experience for all guests.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great value for money - £62 for a double room (single occupancy) B&B with en suite. You won't find that for even twice the price anywhere nearby. Superb location, ideal for the Southbank Centre, Globe Theatre, Tate Modern and many city attractions.Plenty of towels - which were needed - see the below. The breakfast was excellent but the serving staff were grumpy. The room was basic with no TV or radio (although I believe it had wi-fi). Two single beds, one of which was knackered but the other was comfortable enough The only mirror was in the bathroom. There was a wardrobe with some hangers. I don't think a hair dryer was provided - I'm a 'skin head' so didn't think to look for it! The bathroom was eqipped for wheelchair users. Although toileteries were provided I would recommend bringing your own. The shower was of the 'walk in' type. The shower controls were basic - the more you wind the knob, the hotter the water and the higher the pressure - which was MASSIVE making it painful to spray directly onto the face and as for the 'under parts' - lets not go there at all! Walk in showers are fine when they drain correctly but mine didn't (room 139) The floor had not been laid correctly and instead of the water running to the drain it instead flooded everywhere and even when it had eventually drained away there were still large puddles remaining, making return visits to the basin or loo a splashy experience. Fortunately, there were two sets of towels and I used these to lay across the puddles. Maybe the drain was a little slow running but above all the floor needs to be re-laid. I could not have tolerated it for a more lengthy stay. I will stay there again but not in this room unless assured the bathroom floor had been re-layed. Great for a low budget visit but remember - you get what you pay for and nothing more.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Paul H,

We're delighted to hear that you found Bankside House great value for money during your stay here. I'm also pleased to hear that you found our breakfast excellent. As you mention a 'walk in' type shower, you would have been in one of disabled accessible rooms, of which there are a few on each floor. I apologise that there was an issue with the water draining while you stayed - as you correctly point out this should not happen. Thank you for providing your room number as I will have maintenance take a look at this immediately.

We're extremely pleased to hear that you'll stay with us again - hopefully when placed in a room without a walk in shower you will find the experience much improved.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

For London the price per night is reasonably good value and I like it However it is not the place to take someone for a Romantic weekend. The location is just behind Tate Modern, Southwark tube is about 10 minutes easy walk.

The room we have had was clean and very basic with nothing to help lift the ambience, with no paintings, empty bookshelves and plain walls . Very spartan. Two single beds on a collapsible metal frames with mattress, sheets and duvet. It is decorated to a very basic standard but the beds are comfortable and can accommodate someone over 6'. The en-suite shower was a wet room and designed for the disabled, the washbasin and shower head are lower than normal. The room is 'mid' sized in that it did not feel cramped. No TV or radio in the room and no Wi-Fi in the room we had on the 6th floor, you may pick up reception elsewhere. You do get towells and shower gell and tea/coffee making. The room was quiet, no problems sleeping.

I liked the refectory style room for breakfast on the ground floor, you are warned on entrance you are only allowed 6 items. The food tasted fine with plenty of options This is good basic self service.

There is a bar (think student bar) on the lower ground floor, it was extremely quiet on a Saturday night (i.e. dead), pool tables and TVs featured and the drinks were a bit cheaper than most London venues.

There is a place for Taxis to drop off at the front and access is good with several lifts.
Reception was friendly enough and you can leave baggage in a little room before you check in or after you check out. Although the room is lockable I would not leave anything valuable, people just pick up their bag and no checks were made.

The Globe and Tate are nearby. There are places to eat and drink on Southbank are numerous with superb views across the Thames to St Pauls and the London skyline. As I said earlier, a likeable place just dont expect normal 3 star hotel standards.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Britman_uno
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Britman_uno,

I'm delighted to hear that you found Bankside House to be great value during your stay in London. I am glad you found the room to be satisfactory for your requirements. I apologise that you did not find the decor entirely appealing - as a dual purpose residence we have to balance the needs of both students and hotel guests when decorating our rooms. We hope that it did not detract from your overall experience too greatly.

We hope to see you again at Bankside House soon!

Henry Hayes,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Had to go last minute to London and a lot of hotels were booked. I decided pure on availability on the LSE bankside house. It's a low-budget hotel, so don't expert the Hilton.

Upsides:
- Big rooms. With a capital B.
- Bathroom is smallish, but decent shower (although also on the small side). And those people complaining about the toilet not flushing decently, need to listen to the staff. You push the handle down hard and keep it down for a second or two, then it does its work. Had the same issue upon arrival but figured out the trick. Shampoo, shower gel and a lot of towels provided.
- English breakfast included in the price, was a very pleasant surprise. Good food. yes, six items maximum of the warm food, but it's enough. Nice touch: breakfast room has a library on the side with books to read.

Downside:
- bed was old. woke up with back pain. But I get that very easily.

General: I usually book around Wembley because it's cheaper. This place is equally cheap but breakfast is included and it's smack dab in the center.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 424. Was in a corner in a side hallway, away from the elevators: very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear ShariDB,

I'm glad to hear that you found our rooms large and our breakfast to be to your satisfaction! I apologise that you felt the bed was old - we're currently undertaking a comprehensive review of all of our bedding at Bankside House, so if you return you should see an improvement in this area.

We hope to see you again soon!