For London the price per night is reasonably good value and I like it However it is not the place to take someone for a Romantic weekend. The location is just behind Tate Modern, Southwark tube is about 10 minutes easy walk.
The room we have had was clean and very basic with nothing to help lift the ambience, with no paintings, empty bookshelves and plain walls . Very spartan. Two single beds on a collapsible metal frames with mattress, sheets and duvet. It is decorated to a very basic standard but the beds are comfortable and can accommodate someone over 6'. The en-suite shower was a wet room and designed for the disabled, the washbasin and shower head are lower than normal. The room is 'mid' sized in that it did not feel cramped. No TV or radio in the room and no Wi-Fi in the room we had on the 6th floor, you may pick up reception elsewhere. You do get towells and shower gell and tea/coffee making. The room was quiet, no problems sleeping.
I liked the refectory style room for breakfast on the ground floor, you are warned on entrance you are only allowed 6 items. The food tasted fine with plenty of options This is good basic self service.
There is a bar (think student bar) on the lower ground floor, it was extremely quiet on a Saturday night (i.e. dead), pool tables and TVs featured and the drinks were a bit cheaper than most London venues.
There is a place for Taxis to drop off at the front and access is good with several lifts.
Reception was friendly enough and you can leave baggage in a little room before you check in or after you check out. Although the room is lockable I would not leave anything valuable, people just pick up their bag and no checks were made.
The Globe and Tate are nearby. There are places to eat and drink on Southbank are numerous with superb views across the Thames to St Pauls and the London skyline. As I said earlier, a likeable place just dont expect normal 3 star hotel standards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bankside House provides Bed & Breakfast accommodation near the Tate Modern Gallery - it's just a one minute walk away from the front door. Bankside House is also located near The Shard, Shakespeare’s Globe, Borough Market and St Paul’s Cathedral as well as being within easy reach of the City of London and the West End. With its location and price, Bankside provides incredible value for anyone wishing to stay in central London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your LSE Bankside House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bankside House Hotel London
- Bankside Hotel London
- LSE Bankside House London, England