“Avoid”

Oxford Hotel London
Ranked #987 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Dirty cramped rooms! TV didn't work... Floors not cleaned. No air conditioning, dirty walls covered in stains. The bathroom stank. No free wifi and the list goes on and on.....,,,£365 for 2 nights absolute robbery.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Bryandub

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Room was tiny and at least 10•C above the street level temp with no airconditioning.

The street is noisy and curtains are poor - we had to sleep with earplugs and eye-masks.

Shower failed twice and was generally unpleasant with poor consistency, flow rate and temperature.

Breakfast is basic, rushed and the toaster hardly works. Expect to wait 10 mins for toast.

On the plus side it was clean and the location was OK, but I definitely wouldn't stay there again, even if they dropped their rates by half (which is what the place is worth).

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maelstrm
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were booked to stay for 3 nights from 18th to 20th May, 2014. Our room was the worst we have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. Read the reviews and don't do as I did and give this hotel the benefit of doubt.
I thought that some people could complain about small things so I gave it a go.
We can put up with tiny rooms with no air conditioning (luckily it wasn't hot when we were there) but when the shower didn't work when we needed it to nor did the toilet flush on the second morning, we decided to check out early.
On the first night, the TV remote didn't work so the desk clerk had to wait till he had a moment to leave the desk in order to come to the second building down the road where our room was situated in order to try a variety of remotes that didn't work. Finally one did but we took the opportunity to ask him if we could change rooms. His response was that he just worked nights and we would need to speak to the manager in the morning.
We had booked a day tour which required us to leave the room by 7.15am so we decided to leave our request till we returned. On our return from the tour and a late dinner, I endeavoured to shower and found that it wouldn't work. Once again I called the desk and this time got a sympathetic lady who listened to our problems and a further request to move given the current situation, and once again we were told that we couldn't move because no rooms were available.
The following morning we found that not only did the shower not work, but the taps over the basin didn't work, nor did the toilet flush. Another call to the desk got some results. We were told that if we were to walk to the first building, we could use a shower in a room that was miraculously available at 8.00am. We got dressed, walked to the building carrying our change of clothes, went up to the third floor to the room we were allowed to use and got ready for a shower. Horror of horrors, this one trickled but at least I felt I could make do. Just as I got the wrapper off the soap, this shower stopped working and I was thoroughly frustrated. We decided to brush our teeth, have breakfast and check out.
Breakfast was a farce. The bread went through the toaster and came out as dried white bread with no colour. I put it through again as the dial was already set to the limit, and this time it came out slightly brown. There was a small selection of spreads, boiled eggs in shells, some cereals and drinks. Thank goodness the air conditioner was on otherwise it would have been completely airless as we were in a basement with no external ventilation visible.
We went to the desk to check out and told the staff member of our total dissatisfaction, but he was totally unresponsive and couldn't care less about our valid complaints.
The building we were in was so badly designed with a warren of rooms and narrow corridors, it would have been awful had there been a fire anywhere. The light in the corridor outside our room was a sensor, so if we took a little longer to insert the key into the lock, it would go out and we were left in total darkness till we could activate the temperamental sensor again.
What a shambles. Don't take any notice of the photos online as they have been professionally mastered so that the so called foyer and some rooms actually look half decent. This is a hotel that uses cheap labour and one poor staffer was trying to stack the clean towels on the floor just outside the tiny lift that everyone had to use. It must be awful to have to work here, but people want to keep their jobs.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel
1  Thank ZoeR549
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night on May 29th. We expected a small room given the location and price, but could not have anticipated the disgusting conditions we found.

There was no duvet on the bed, so we unfolded one of the blankets on a shelf and found feces stains all over it. We immediately brought it down to the front desk who did not seem shocked, did not apologise, and told us there were no spare blankets and no duvets so we'd just have to make do. We checked the other blankets and there were small stains on them as well, it was clear they had not been washed.

The breakfast room is tiny compared to the number of people trying to use it. Breakfast consists of hard boiled eggs, toast, cheese and cheap cornflakes. The milk for the cereal was warm. The coffee was vile.

When I first checked in, I was given a key to a room - when I opened the room I was shocked to find someone already in it. He was just as shocked as me! I went back to the front desk who explained that guest had decided to stay an extra night and they'd forgotten to move my reservation to a new room. I should have taken this warning and left right then!

Overall, the most disgusting experience I have ever had in a hotel anywhere - and most of my travel has been in the developing world. I have had much better experiences staying in youth hostels, and would strongly discourage anyone from staying here, ever. It's not worth it.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
1  Thank Leah C
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed here on 27th/28th May. This is the worst British hotel I have ever stayed in. Although the room was relatively clean, it was very dated and in desperate need of some upgrading. The walls were filthy and were only painted around the furniture, the bathroom door hinges were falling off, the bed was more like two camp-beds pushed together and the wall fan cable didn't actually reach a socket. Wouldn't have plugged it in anyway as the electrics were seriously dangerous. Bare cables exposed and various sockets in the room kept going out when I was using a hairdryer. Breakfast looked pretty shabby, although I didn't get to try it as there was never any room in the tiny basement restaurant. Great location for underground but not worth putting up with this very poor service!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel was filthy, the staff were rude and I definately y would not recommend it unless you were desperate. Although a good location near EArls Court, the soap tray was rusty, no shower tray so the water ran into the bedroom. Curtains and windows dirty and the hairdryer blew up in my hand when I used it. When I reported it, it took the receptionist 30 minutes to bring me another hairdryer. Booked 2 single rooms and my friend's bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable although my bed was fine. Breakfast staff were very rude and same staff were cleaning the rooms, linen left in corners of corridors on the floor. Avoid this hotel unless you are desperate.

Room Tip: Very noisy hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed in a ground floor room at the Oxford Hotel on March 24 - 25th during our trip to the UK. The room was actually the largest we had during out trip to the UK and it was clean which is the most important thing. Yes the room looked tired and the decor was dated, but you don't travel to London to hang out in your hotel room! The location was wonderful, we were easy walking distance to Hyde Park, to the Underground and from there to anywhere you might want to go in London. The television was in good working order with a variety of channels, something my husband enjoyed after a long day of sightseeing. The room included a mini fridge, a microwave and a kettle, we enjoyed the convenience of being able to eat take away in our room in the evening to cut a little down on our expenses and as a quiet way to unwind and rest our feet. It felt like a luxury having our own shower and toilet, yes it was small but the water was hot and it got us clean. North American travelers will need to adjust their expectations of hotel rooms when staying in London if they hope to stay on budget and this place did admirably for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple