“Worst hotel in London”

Oxford Hotel London
Ranked #983 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 11, 2014

And that is saying something. I have stayed in about 25-30 hotels in London over the last couple of years and I think this was probably the worst experience so far. I will also say that I am well aware that London is a difficult market for decent hotels at a decent price and so my expectations weren't exactly sky high, but this was a sever disappointment as so many things were well out of order.
Room had no window. TV hung loosely off wallbracket and faced downward in a 45 degree angle. No remote control. Telephone didnt work. Shower was cold. Sink was clogged with hair. Also found an old dirty sock in the nightstand which the cleaning crew must have missed. Several hairs on bedsheet. Pretty disgusting all around.
And to top it all off I left my laptop charger in the room. When I called a couple of hours later to ask if I could retrieve it I was told that there was defintiely no charger anywhere and that I must be mistaken.
Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Stevie B
There are newer reviews for Oxford Hotel London

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Now this hotel. I do not like to bad mouth places, because this place was cheap. And that was the point of us getting it. But apart from having to argue with the receptionist about the fact that I prepaid, the fact that the room was next to reception and I mean like a thin wall away. The room being small, the bed being super crap, most of the furniture being broken including a mirror. I think because we were going to a concert and weren't back too late that it wasn't a problem for us. We did not really spend time at the hotel, thankfully cause we wouldn't have like too. Apart from all that. It is what you pay for I guess. It was cheap, we got cheap with a free breakfast. Which had a surprising amount of variety. So If you are going here, do not expect a lot, but if your looking for a place to crash out and leave the next morning, this is your place since they have a safe room for luggage.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jade S
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We booked 3 nights at £96 per night. We hadn't even entered our room (LG3) when I tripped on a broken tile banging my knee on the door. The room was in a sorry state with dirty walls hairs on bed rust in the shower and mould growing from the walls in the shower dust every where and a rotting door frame as well as being cramped and stuffy there was also a loose cable running across the room. I opened the window to air the room only to be met by 3 bags of dirty hotel laundry! we slept (uncomfortably) with the decision of complaining in the morning we awoke to the sound of the breakfast staff banging and crashing and shouting from one room to the next at 6:30am confirming our decision! breakfast consisted of 1 cheese, stale bread,over boiled (black) eggs, burnt bitter coffee, warm orange juice and corn flakes. I wrote out a list of my complaints which I presented to the receptionist who was very reluctant to speak to me. I asked to speak to the manager who conveniently was not there so I left my mobile number so as he could contact me (the call never came) we returned for the second night to a new room a double room that was two singles pushed together (311) it was in a worse state then the 1st. Mouldy walls and window frame pubic hairs in the shower a broken power plug in the bathroom that hung from the wall rust and dirt everywhere. Again in the morning I complained to the receptionist and this time I was accompanied to my room by a member of staff so as I could show him all that was wrong only to be told that for £100 a night I wouldn't find a better hotel!!! at this point I asked for a refund and was told again I would have to speak to the manager who conveniently was not there. 3rd night and 3rd room (g6) supposedly the best room in the hotel with a split level and kitchen... it was a disgrace a bloodied black bogey smeared on the wall and all the complaints that have been for mentioned existed here also (photos attached) I awoke at 4:45am feeling very itchy and uncomfortable I showered and was fine but when waking in the morning found I was covered in a rash that lasted all day. (photos attached)
So in short DIRTY ROOMS, UNFRIENDLY STAFF,DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT, UNHYGIENIC THROUGHOUT AND A MANAGER WHO DOESN'T GIVE A DAMN!!!! You ruined my wife's Birthday you ruined our holiday you made me Sick and you should be ashamed!!!

Room Tip: book some place else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thenosewill
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The only good thing about this "hotel" is the location, very close to Earls Court station.

Apart from that, everything was from bad to horrible. The reality was completely different (worst) from what is shown on the hotel pictures.

- Small, smelly and dirty room, with mould and disgusting stains on the walls (see pictures)
- Small bathroom, with non-working lights and door impossible to close.
- TV not working.
- Minifridge unusable (it was impossible to make it work, although the inner light did),
- The "continental breakfast" that was included consists on cheese,bread and coffee. There are 2 small rooms with tables for the breakfast, and it is impossible to find a free space to sit, and if you want to sit a table you have to clean it, as the grumpy service say they are too busy.
- Grumpy and unpolite staff.
- They charge you 5 pounds to keep your luggage in a smelly and dirty room after the checkout.
- Impossible to get a proper refund, even we point all the points above directly to the manager (Marcus). He said he checked the room and the things were ok. You only need to check the pictures included in this review.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CarmeB
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I needed a last minute, cheap hotel in a good location, which is what I got. The room and bathroom were small, which I didn't really mind, but the room was not clean, and the hotel as a whole didn't feel clean. I didn't bother with breakfast for this reason. I suppose you get what you pay for. I can only recommend this hotel to solo travelers who, like myself, just need a place to crash.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Andy S
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've stayed in many budget hotels in London and this is the best.,Ive stayed in.Well appointed room and en-suite,very clean,TV,fridge,fan,comfy bed soft towels.The continental breakfast is good ,cereals,eggs,cheese,jsm,choice of bread/rolls.Good range of pubs /restaurants nearby and tube 2 minutes walk.I will stay again and recommend at £36 for a single ensuite room doubt you could find better near central London, I've stayed in some real dumps in this price range,

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank FLANMANEngland
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I made a booking 2 months before my stay on a 'book now pay later policy' and had so much hassle with the so called 'pre authorisation' of my card. As far as a bank is concerned when pre authorising a card it means the hotel is just checking the card is valid and that there only needs a pound or so a s a balance. the hotel actually authorised my card for the whole £280.00 of my stay even though I was going to pay cash on the day. I had alot of stress before I arrived and the manager even promised me he would be on the reception when I got there. No such thing. I had booked two quadruple rooms and they were nothing like the pictures on the site. The electrics were very dangerous and we were crammed in to a too small room. The beds were very small and there were no pillow protectors on some of the pillows. I think theye thought it would make it be it ok with the extras they had added ie' the millions of packets of shampoos and soaps which just looked untidy and was unnecessary. the breakfast was basic and in a small room crammed with tables which made it uncomfortable to enjoy as there were so many guests all trying to achieve the same aim in a tiny closet space. The staff at breakfast were also extremely rude shoving past as if we were animals and didnt speak english. I can only blame management for this as they are the ones who employ the staff and should be training them appropriately. I will not be staying there again and have stayed in better for less.

Room Tip: pay up front and get the discount!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank saraperry
perlflaghotels, Owner at Oxford Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for leaving your feedback. We always aim to provide good value for money in a central and safe location close to all amenenities. I also guarantee the best price in Earl's Court at any given time. The hotel has pre-authorised your card for the first night only. This is the guarantee for the hotel in case of no show. This is the norm with all reputable companies such as Booking.com, Late Rooms etc...
We believe in delivering service while the guests are in the hotel and I am normally in the office from 9 am till 9 pm every day. We always try to ensure the our guests requests are met. If anything is amiss, one should be always reported to the management. The hotel has always a feedback form as well which I find the most helpful in understanding the needs of our clients.
Our breakfast is continental only - however we also provide eggs, cereals and cheese at no extra cost. Most staff who take on jobs as breakfast waiters are normally learning English and therefore one can't expect all of them to speak english fluently. Our staff are always trying our best, so I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with your stay.