“Not as advertised”

Ranked #961 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Axmouth, United Kingdom
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I made a booking 2 months before my stay on a 'book now pay later policy' and had so much hassle with the so called 'pre authorisation' of my card. As far as a bank is concerned when pre authorising a card it means the hotel is just checking the card is valid and that there only needs a pound or so a s a balance. the hotel actually authorised my card for the whole £280.00 of my stay even though I was going to pay cash on the day. I had alot of stress before I arrived and the manager even promised me he would be on the reception when I got there. No such thing. I had booked two quadruple rooms and they were nothing like the pictures on the site. The electrics were very dangerous and we were crammed in to a too small room. The beds were very small and there were no pillow protectors on some of the pillows. I think theye thought it would make it be it ok with the extras they had added ie' the millions of packets of shampoos and soaps which just looked untidy and was unnecessary. the breakfast was basic and in a small room crammed with tables which made it uncomfortable to enjoy as there were so many guests all trying to achieve the same aim in a tiny closet space. The staff at breakfast were also extremely rude shoving past as if we were animals and didnt speak english. I can only blame management for this as they are the ones who employ the staff and should be training them appropriately. I will not be staying there again and have stayed in better for less.

Room Tip: pay up front and get the discount!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank saraperry
perlflaghotels, Owner at Oxford Hotel London, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for leaving your feedback. We always aim to provide good value for money in a central and safe location close to all amenenities. I also guarantee the best price in Earl's Court at any given time. The hotel has pre-authorised your card for the first night only. This is the guarantee for the hotel in case of no show. This is the norm with all reputable companies such as Booking.com, Late Rooms etc...
We believe in delivering service while the guests are in the hotel and I am normally in the office from 9 am till 9 pm every day. We always try to ensure the our guests requests are met. If anything is amiss, one should be always reported to the management. The hotel has always a feedback form as well which I find the most helpful in understanding the needs of our clients.
Our breakfast is continental only - however we also provide eggs, cereals and cheese at no extra cost. Most staff who take on jobs as breakfast waiters are normally learning English and therefore one can't expect all of them to speak english fluently. Our staff are always trying our best, so I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

we stayed in LG the room was very small like a dungeon near to laundry room.bed was uncomfortable the spring of bed was expose so we have to cover with towels and blankets.Toilet was very small water every where when you take a bath.TV was bad signal and we cannot charge our phone as Outlet not working,in the morning the staff are very noisy sorting out thier laundry you will lost your privacy.Breakfast a basket of boiled egg + bread+coffe/tea. disgusting experience was there is a RAT we heard at night and eaten our food in the table.(i show the evidence to the front desk man name FANCIS in the morning all he say was "call the manager") i email the manager no replied received as i waited for almost 2 weeks, just to heard something but nothing ,this is not cheap hotel, this is the WORST hotel i experienced ever......to think its LONDON.........

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teodorico E
UK
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had arranged to stay in this hotel for one night after a gig in Earls Court. On first impression we thought it looked ok, the reception area was bright, modern and inviting. We were promptly checked in and went upstairs to our room...it was the smallest hotel room in existence I swear. I was tired from travelling therefore decided it would be worth having a nap on the bed. As soon as I sat on the edge of the bed (I'm a petite person bear in mind) the headboard rocked back and forth and the bed almost folded up on itself. I can only describe it as a camp bed type bed, very uncomfortable with an extremely thin mattress. I had a short nap as could not get comfortable and then departed the hotel for the gig. On our return later that evening, I went to have a shower and found the attachment where the shower head is held upright had broken off, meaning I had to hold the shower head up. Also the set up of the shower exposed a pipe off the wall which was scalding hot and very dangerous. There were wall plugs and fittings hanging off the wall in the room. Our nights sleep was very unsettled and uncomfortable, we were both rolling into the middle of the bed, it was almost as if it was broken?! Breakfast the following morning was no better, cramped breakfast room and very little choice to eat. We expressed our disappointment via e-mail and the response was that they provided a service therefore they cannot compensate - for the money we paid for the room (more like broom cupboard), I expected more care and attention to cleanliness too. Will not go back again but I guess you knew that!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
perlflaghotels, General Manager at Oxford Hotel London, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
The client arrived, stayed and after departure contacted the management asking for a refund or else a negative review would be posted here. This is unfair and an incorrect usage of a site as Trip Advisor, which will be reported to the relavant department as the hotel has a copy of the email submitted by the guest. If a client is not satisfied with their accommodation, the correct procedure is to contact the management point out any grievances or complaints. If justified the hotel manager has to sort out any complaints on the spot. As the guest has not done so, and their complaints are not justified, there is an element of dishonesty. If a client wasn't happy about the room sizes, surely this could have been raised immediately upon check in. However, it seems that as there was an event in Earl's Court, the clients were aware that they would not find another property which was such good value for money, well located and spotless clean.
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

The location is great, close to the Earl's Court tube, restaurants, drug store and groceries.

The TV didn't work for 2 days, but the hotel provided free internet during our stay.

The breakfast is included, but it's not worth.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Armando M
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel was a bad choice. It's only well located, but not more than that. The rooms are very tiny and don't look clean.The breakfast is awful, because there is always a crowd in the little space and you can only find eggs, cheese and bread. Forgot the ham, chocolate, and everything. NO FREE WIFI. They charge 4 pound sterling for 2 hours internet, they should know that a lot of hotels offers a free wifi service. They charge you if you leave your luggage for a few hours in the hotel after your checkout. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The refrigerator in the room did not work, and if you go in the summer, I assume that you will have a bad moments, because some rooms (like mine), dont have AC, just a little wall fan, in the opposite corner of the room, far from the bed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Boni89
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stopped at this hotel for five nights comfortable, clean, friendly train station at your back door, perfect for a 5.50am. ride to Heathrow. And plenty of local Hotels & Restaurants close to the hotel with very good prices. Free WiFi at McDonalds only two minutes away and 20min. walk to Harrods.

Room Tip: Try to obtain a room with the outside window
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreenwithPete
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

NO FREE WiFi. The breakfast is awful just bread and egg. I came with friends in winter, we booked two rooms and one of them was always cold. Beds are small and no quilt. Anyway I won't choose it next time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends