“Convenient & Inexpensive”

Ranked #974 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Hudson, New York, United States
“Convenient & Inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Conveniently located near Hyde Park and Paddington Station; Lancaster Gate is on the Central line, so you can get anywhere by tube quickly. A couple of nice pubs nearby and some cafes, too. Minuses: loud young backpacker types around, so it's not that quiet. only continental breakfast. Convenient and inexpensive. Fine for a short stay.

Room Tip: Bathroom fan makes a good white noise machine to mitigate the drunken backpackers next door.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked this room so that we didn't have to travel back from the NYE London Fireworks. As we was only sleeping there it was a lovely basic room. Everything was clean and the bathroom was nice. We had a twin room as there was no doubles left but we just pushed the beds together. The blankets smelt a bit damp but for one night it didn't matter. We had a tv and the heating was lovely. The street was a but noisy but not too much bother.

The staff don't speak much English but we never see them except for check in and check out. We also payed to have the breakfast but we didn't have time to look. Overall it was a nice place for one night

Room Tip: We had room 11 on the lower ground and it was quite noisy so maybe ask for a room at the back of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I know the hotel is not expensive especially for London at fairly short notice but it was arguably one of the least relaxing places I have ever been.

When we arrived they appeared to have misplaced our booking as it took nearly half an hour to check in with the man at the desk who it felt hard to blame due to his lack of basic English so may have just been lost in translation.

When we finally got the room we found it to be the smallest double room I have ever seen. All jokes aside my son's Uni room was bigger and it only had one bed. There was a small window onto a mouldy Juliet balcony and a small kettle with no mugs. That turned out not to be an issue as the kettle didn't work. The bed was comfy but about half a foot short for myself. As a small side note our friends room was bigger but they needed the receptionist to let them into their room twice because their card didn't work and they needed the spare he had but wouldn't loan.

Breakfast was served until 9:30 but consisted of stale cereal, boiled eggs, sliced cheese, toast and jam and I had to sit next to the ironing board and spare toilet rolls. My friends at least got to sit by the crates of orange juice so they had to get up less often than myself.

Plus points er... Quite close to the underground and a few decent pubs

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mridsdill
Ramses A, General Manager at Oxford Hotel London, responded to this review, April 14, 2016
Dear guests,

The hotel was fully refurbished in 2013. So any reviews up to 31st August 2013 should be completely disregarded.

We have asked Trip Advisor to remove reviews relating to prior to the refurbishment. We have sent proof of new ownership and of refurbishment, documents from the Building Control from the Local Council , pictures after refurbishment etc.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I feel bad writing this review but do feel it's necessary. I stayed here just before Xmas as I didn't want to travel home after a night out. I think on average you do get what you pay for and when I arrived it did take me back to my back packing days, but that was okay. I had a single room on the lower ground floor which was very basic but fine, it was only when I got back from my night out that the mouse made an appearance, probably just as well it waited as I'm petrified of mice but I'd had a drink by then! Unfortunately, having darted from the bed to the fridge (the mouse, not me) it decided to pop out again, at which point I threw my coat on and ran up to reeption. The receptionist was nice and said she'd been there for a year and never had this problem before, she did move me to another room but it was also in the basement, so I didn't get any sleep as I was worried I'd have company. Obviously I didn't stay for breakfast and the young chap on reception apologised again, but if like me you are a bit mouse phobic you may want to pay a little extra not to have uninvited guests!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Daisy599
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Considering the small price we paid for 7 nights it wasn't awful and it wasn't great but perfectly fine for what we wanted. 2 min walk from Earls Court underground, this was the best point!Breakfast was not varied at all, continental with eggs, coffee, basic cereal, toast etc though getting breakfast is the hard part due to the small eating area in relation to the amount of guests, but can't complain there much either. Rooms were small but we were out sightseeing anyway, could have used more pillows and the 'double' bed was two twins pushed together with a double sheet covering both but other than that was happy. Staff weren't rude but not overly friendly either, to sum up we got what we paid for and had a hassle free stay on the hotel side.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Templemore, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed with my sister in law and two children, our room was like a hostel four narrow beds rowed up, room needed redecorating and plaster coming off walls, lights not working in room either. My mother and friend stayed in a twin room and the window catch was broken hence they couldnt lock window. The breakfast being continental was cornflakes, toast and hard boiled egg and tables not cleared. I would not reccommend this hotel for families. Although the receptionists were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com