“Great location!”

Ranked #440 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Helsinki, Finland
“Great location!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I went to 196 Bishopsgate with 3 friends, and since we just hoped for a convenient location and clean rooms, this place was great! We got the room already an hour before the check in time, which was nice. We stayed in the top floor and the room was more than enough for us. Really spacious and clean! There was two bedrooms, one living room with a kitchen and one toilet with bathtub. The only minus comes from the single bathroom, could have had two. Anyways, the tube station is across the street, and Central line takes you directly to the citycenter without any changes. There is no breakfast at this hotel, but it was fine for us since we liked to try new places out in the city. The elevator of the hotel was also a bit creepy. They fixed it the day we got the room, but still it was making a creeky noise. However, no problems appeared. Would highly recommend and will definitely return if visiting London again!

Room Tip: If travelling with friends, ask for the top floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed here whilst down for the London Marathon for a two night stay 12th & 13th April, Room 210. We wanted a self catering place given all the complexities of catering for a marathon runner !. The apartments are really convenient - just across Bishopsgate from Liverpool St railway station & Underground. Plenty of shops, restaurants & take aways nearby plus a few good pubs. Tesco Mini , M&S Food & Sainsburys all nearby. We had a studio apartment - smart, clean modern, well equipped. Good security, safe in room, smart modern bathroom & extremely well equipped kitchen plus washing machine etc. Good free WiFi. Hard to beat at these rates really. The staff were pleasant & efficient. The only down side we found ( and this happened to us recently in Canberra too) was that the fire alarm went off at 9am ( someone burnt the toast ??). We and several others evacuated our rooms down to reception via the stairs to find reception checking people in, sending them up in the lifts whilst the alarm was sounding. Totally unconcerned. This is frightening stuff in a five story hotel. In all other respects this is a great place to stay & we would use it again - but check out the fire exits !

Room Tip: Get a room near a fire exit !
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debseleven
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologise to you about what you experienced during the sound fire alarm. Although our maintenance team had given the receptionist the green like to not to proceed to full evacuation and continue with his duties while they reset the alarm. I'm sorry that the receptionist didn't provide you with sufficient information to put you at ease during a delicate situation like this.

I'm still happy to know that you had a good stay with us and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just got home from a weekend in London which I stayed at 196 Bishopsgate.
Good rooms and service at the hotel.

Bad thing was that the windows didn't keep silence out for room 109 from the bar outside.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused by the bar outside the hotel, was this reported to our reception team? Thank you for bringing this matter up to my attention, I'm familiar with the Bar manager and would bring forward this complaint to him so our future guest would not experience the same event as you.

I hope that this does not deter you to visit us again in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Always prefer this hotel over other options around Liverpool street.... Very convenient location, good service, nice rates.....Just ask the concierge to turn on the heater during cold periods - it can get really cold in the room........

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for recommending us to the readers of this website. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Edina MN
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is probably the 8th time I've stayed here over the past 6 years and the pluses are still pluses, but the minuses continue to grow. On the plus side, the location can't be beat, the neighbourhood Tesco is a real plus, the size of the rooms are terrific, the full kitchen is excellent and the internet is free and quite good. Also, I had a mixup on our reservation (my fault) and the reservation team was extremely helpful and creative.

However....they must screen the people at reception for a complete unwillingness to smile and be friendly. I would think there is a system to identify repeat customers and welcome them back. Our room (103) faced the main street and one of the windows wouldn't close leaving a gap at the top of the window allowing air and street noise to blast in. We reported this and nothing was ever done about it and no one ever contacted us. (This surely couldn't have been new and housekeeping must have been aware of this.)

Not only did we have the street noise, but one of the bedrooms was right next to all of the heating and air conditioning equipment which rested on top of a roof at the same level as the room. We needed to run fans at night to mask all of this noise.

The furniture in the living room is really beat up as well and should be replaced or reupholstered.

The mattresses were thin and you could feel the springs/coils. These were supposedly new, but you would never see this kind of mattress at a similar property in London. Additionally, there is now box spring; this is just a mattress on top of a wooden platform. Again, this is not a normal occurrence for a higher quality property.

I would really love to see the management of this property spend time there. I've stayed at the nearby Town Hall property which is quite deluxe and quite special; there is no reason that the same level of TLC can't be applied to 196.

I would stay at 196 every time I come to London if they could make this happen.

I filled out a survey after staying here and got a response from the Operations manager. They offered me a 15% discount the next time I stayed there. I would much rather be told that the issues have been addressed and fixed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank russr
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, your repeated business and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page.

I'm sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your full expectations on this trip. We are constantly listening to our guest to improve our services here at 196 Bishopsgate.

Friendliness and warm welcomes are some of the things we place a lot of emphasis on, and I can assure you that further training would be in place to improve the service at our reception. I will also bring up your other concerns to higher manager for further investigation.

Although I'm aware you've stayed with us on countless occassion with great lodging experience I urge for another opportunity to stay with us to rehabilitate your last view about us.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I am recommending 196 Bishopsgate to colleagues and friends visiting London. For business trips, the location is great: right in the City, close proximity to business meeting and it offers a nice oasis between meetings (with wireless connection and the spaciousness of a flat, it is a good place for catching up on business correspondence). It makes no sense to stay in a hotel room when one can stay in a flat.

Travel further afield is simple as apartments are located just across the street from Liverpool station. In fact, I used the Heathrow Express to travel to Paddington Station and then it was an easy connection to LIverpool, cross the street, and check-in at reception. Throughout my stay each individual at reception was friendly and helpful (e.g. providing a change room for me to get out of airport clothes when I arrived at a very early hour from the airport and the flat would not be ready until the afternoon).

The location is also wonderful for enjoying London's historical and cultural spots, ranging from the Tower of London, the re-made Globe to more modern treasures such as the National Theatre and Tate Modern.

The immediate neighbourhood contains some good restaurants and cafes. Some tips on places to visit:
Beautiful Indian food with quality ingredients and a gourmet flair for lunch or dinner

Breakfast -- great coffee just around the corner (good coffee is just next door) at Taylor St Baristas:
1A New St, London EC2M 4TP ‎ 65 ft NW
020 7929 2207 ‎ • taylor-st.com

Healthy snacks or meals to heat up in the apartment can be procured at Planet Organic;

There are nice boutique shops and cafes a short stroll away near Shoreditch station:

The National Theatre is fairly close – even if tickets are sold out for a play, queuing at noon the day of the play for returns can be a cheap way of seeing great theatre (I saw Lear for 12 pounds the Sunday that I arrived)

The Southwark markets are fun to stroll through (and don’t miss the Cathedral and of course stroll by the Rose Theatre and the Globe)–and there is fantastic chocolate shop, Rabot 1745:

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jsengupta
Dear Guest,

I am always thrilled to read positive feedbacks like yours, you couldn’t have summarised your experience any better. I must say that you are on point with your description. Your high scores and comments are very much appreciated. The team would be happy to know that all our hard work has brought another happy guest.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate in the near future, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed here in April 2013 and have booked again in August 2014. It is great value and spacious by London standards. The location is very convenient being opposite Liverpool St Station with plenty of food outlets close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T0ny1948
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such high scores and praise of your stay with us on our TripAdvisor page. It is always pleasure to read how much you enjoyed staying with us.

We appreciate your repeated business and look forward to your arrival in August. In the mean-time if you require any assistance regarding your booking, please feel free to contact me directly.