“Thumbs up! Nearly perfect.”
Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #437 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Streymoy, Faroe Islands
“Thumbs up! Nearly perfect.”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Booked through a broker & it was the same price as a lot of 3 star hotels, some of the reviews werent great but these apartments are AMAZING. After reading previous reviews, we asked for a room away from the street. stayed in room 304. Had a studio apartment. Nice decor, lots of storage space, 1 double wardrobe with 4 built in drawers, top one has different compartments. 1 single wardrobe next to it with safe inside. Mirrored doors. Nice big bed. Headboard attached to wall, bed on wheels which wasnt ideal but thats just nitpicking. Bedside cabinets with nice lamps. Long single freestanding mirror in the corner which turned & more shelves on the back. Small tv on the wall. air con unit in the bedroom (which is a bit noisy, we switched it on until bedtime) Blackout blinds.Tempered glass double doors into lounge. Lounge had lots of gadgets & another tv & classy furniture. Nice big floor to ceiling window with wooden venetian blinds gives a spacious feeling. windows didnt open too much but there was air con in the bedroom & if you leave the doors open, still gets temp down to 18o. Wifi signal good. Kitchen had all you need & was also provided with washing up liquid & dishwasher tablets & a dishcloth & the maid even emptied the dishwasher daily (my most hated chore!) glass door into a small hallway which is soundproof nearly but the ventilation is there & is noisy so keep the door shut when you want quiet. Bathroom nice, shower, wc, in black marble & door into a small room with washer & washing tablets provided & iron. Hairdryer nice & powerful. Toiletries smell really nice. When you leave lift, theres still a few steps to walk up. Breakfast delivered daily at your preferred time, croissants, butter & jam, corn flakes, pint of semi skimmed milk, apples, bananas, activia low fat yoghurts, bottled orange juice. Right across from Liverpool St Station, next to Boots & 2 minute walk tonthe left is a large Tesco. Bad bits. Air con noisy & it was v hot when we stayed so it was a bit uncomfortable. Our 1 year stayed with us so we had a stroller & the stairs were a little inconvenient. Tesco & boots dont stock a huge amount of baby items, but enough to potter on with. (FYI if staying with a baby) but these apartments are well placed, maintained & we were very impressed.

Room Tip: 304 gets the sun in the afternoon so theres no blazing sunlight interrupting your sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am always thrilled to read positive feedbacks like yours, you couldn’t have summarised your experience any better. I must say that you are on point with your description. Your high scores and comments are very much appreciated.

We wish you well and look forward to see you again very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed 5 nights for business trip. The building is right across the street from Liverpool street tube and train station. There are many restaurants, pubs, supermarkets around. Extremely convenient. The apartment entrance and reception is small. But the room is impressive. I stayed in a studio apartment, more than enough for 1 person, much better than a normal hotel room. There's a bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom with a washing machine. The bed is soft and comfortable. Bathroom provides shampoo/bodywash. You can get tooth brush etc. from WHSmith or Marks&Spencer across the street in Liverpool Street station. I did not use the kitchen. Fridge is very handy. My room was on the 1st floor (2nd level) facing the busy Bishopsgate street. It can be noisy in the evening but that did not bother me at all. Staff is friendly and helpful. I would stay here again when I travel with family for fun!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YangCheung
Dear Guest,

I am very please to read you had a fulfilling stay, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers, also thank you for the high scores and praises. This is the type of experience we strive to provide to all of our guests!

I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate in the near future, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was really not sure about booking an apartment concept hotel compared to my usual 4-5 star hotel booking for my trip to London.

Man oh Man was I wrong, I was upgraded from a Studio apartment to an Exec Studio which surprisingly had a little terrance where I had my late evening glass of wine.

The Apartment was fully equiped from dishwashers to washing machines, everything one can have in an apartment.

The reception Staff were helpful enough to help me with directions when I wasn't certain to my journey and also allowed me to store my luggage after checkout.

I will be back and most certainly recommend to all my friends and family back home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for recommending us to the readers of this website.

I shall pass your positive feedback to the team who looked after you and I shall look forward to welcoming you back to 196 Bishopsgate in the near future,

Essex
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend
Good Points;- Nice Apartment, well furnished,very clean crockery & utensils included
Breakfast in the basket very good; Juice, cornflakes, milk, fruit, yogurt ,butter, jam & rolls
Bad Points;- Smoke detector outside our room kept bleeping every 25 seconds
10pm sat to 10am sun, reception tried to help, engineer finally came on Monday
General comments;- kitchen very hi tech" NEFF appliances" could do with basic instructions on microwave ( all symbols).Coat hooks on wall by entrance door for wet coats would help.Coasters for glass table tops. Would still return though

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate in the near future, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

London
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This place occupies a busy location right opposite the tube station and in the middle of everything. The reception area is very small leading to the elevator area that takes you to your floor. The apartment we booked was overlooking the busy road and the windows could not retain the noises of the road though.

However the apartment was simply amazing: a hallway leading to the sitting area with kitchen to the left and bathroom to the right with bedroom. You could also access the bedroom from the reception/sitting area and all the spaces were simly massive, furnished in dark colours punctuated with deep blue pillows, all looking very cool and trendy.

Probably the ones who would like to book this place would have to request apartments overlooking the back of the building to avoid being kept awake by the constant noise of the road.

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that the front part of the building wasn't your perfect cup of tea, most guest do perfer the view of the buildings and the lights especially in the night. Despite this, It's nice to know that you loved the apartment.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future and do not hesitate to get contact our reservations department or myself for any enquiries.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Cornwall
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The position is great right by the bus stop. The studios are well equipped and clean. Would definitely stay here again. Nice bathroom and good breakfast delivered to your room. The reception is small but the staff are very helpful. Really close to Liverpool St Station and great shopping.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words reviewing your stay at 196 Bishopsgate. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience; from the comfort of the apartment, the location of the property and the service you encountered.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at 196 for three nights for a weekend break and just booked it through super breaks and didn't know what really to expect , especially a 4 star apartment in London compared to a 3 star , one thousand bed hotel at the same price . Well we will not be using a hotel again, the 196 is directly opposite Liverpool underground and station and four stops on a direct link from Kings Cross so no swapping and changing lines with luggage .
The apartment are lovely and clean and modern with everything that you would need for a stay. It was so nice to have space to walk around and relax when you arrive back after a long day in London and make a coffee etc .
The continental breakfast in the morning delivered to your room is lovely .
The staff are all happy and polite and can't do enough to help you and the reception is manned 24 hours and they even looked after our luggage on the last day so we could get a bit more shopping in before our return home .
Faults ,I can't pick any , it was just a refreshing chance from a hotel
Good points ,everything it was like have your own little piece of London while you are there
Overall excellent for the price you pay compared to the same star hotel and definitely will be using again if we visit London .

Room Tip: One bed apartment
1 Thank andrew b
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the high scores and praise on our trip advisor page, I am always thrilled to read positive feedbacks like yours.

This is the type of experience we strive to provide to all of our guests, I will be delighted to share your comments with the team. We look forward welcoming you back on your next visit to London.