“Very poor customer service”
Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #479 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed in a 2-bed apt in July 2011, and the service leaves a LOT to be desired. We stayed with 3 kids and on the first night the DVD player didn't work. Guy on the desk promised that something would be done about it in the morning. Following morning the new guy on reception hadn't heard about the problem, but he promised he would do something when the services guy arrived. Later on that evening had to go down and remind them a third time..
When the cleaners were changing the beds they accidently took a white cotton baby sleeping bag that was on the bed. I asked at reception if I could get it back. Over 4 days I repeatedly asked for it to be returned but every time someone took my number, promised me that something would be done and never got back to me. So in the end I was down £25 on my stay.
So basically if you have any problem whatsoever it will not be dealt with, and you will repeatedly be fobbed off. Having said that the place was clean, if a little worn looking, but with plenty of space for the kids. Poor service doesn't justify the price though.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors if noise from the street bothers you.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Aine186605
Rinku196, Property Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following on your stay at 196 Bishopsgate Serviced Apartments.

We would also like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by our team members with regards to the DVD players and the baby sleeping bag. We have now spoken to our team members and appropriate measures are now in place to deal with such issues to avoid any occurrences.

We would like to mention that we are currently refurbishing our apartments including common areas so that we can provide our guests' with the best facilities possible.

Finally we are glad that though the price was not to your expectations, the apartment was spacious for the kids to play around and clean.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with usand please do not not hesitate to contact our reservations department or myself directly to assist you in your booking.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed here around 9 days on a business trip to London. First, temper your expectations. Visit their website and keep in mind that the pictures of the place were probably taken when the facility was just finished. The place is getting a bit old in the tooth as they say with the carpets worn down and could use a touch of paint to spruce things up. I chose the place as I only needed a decent place to sleep in and it was in a great location. I did not need any of the hotel amenities. Booked my stay with booking.com and the rates I got were exactly what the front desk charged me for.

Positives: Excellent location. All my meetings were just a 10-15min walk away. Room: always clean, free wi-fi and the internet speed was very decent, has a kitchen (if you are on a budget, you just buy something from M&S or Tesco and cook something up), washing machine, ironing stuff if you want to scrimp on laundry service. Helpful front office, printed out directions for us and gave us tips of the surrounding area.

Cons: Lift was quite small and pretty slow. It can only carry 3-4 people without luggage and goes down to two if you have a couple of large suitcases. Better take the stairs. Noisy if you're staying on the lower floors good thing my room was on the 4th floor. Slept perfectly.

London is quite expensive and this service apartment presents great value for money for a place to stay in. I would say better than the travelodge nearby even if it was newer than 196 Bishopsgate. If you are on a budget and does not need the usual hotel amenities, this would be a very good place to stay at.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the upper floors to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest

It was great to hear that you liked the facilities provided by us and our team including the rates and you were able to easily commute to your business meeting.

We would also like to mention that we are currently refurbishing our apartments and common areas and all the issues mentioned is being looked into so that we can improve our facilities.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us soon and please do not not hesitate to contact our reservations department or myself directly to assist you in your booking.

Reviewed December 23, 2011

I found 196 Bishopgate on Expedia, checked the reviews and booked an Executive Studio Apartment for £158. On arrival I was upgraded to a single-bedroom apartment. This consisted of a lobby, bathroom, bedroom, living room and fully equipped kitchen. There was a washing machine concealed in a cupboard in the bathroom. I only needed a bed for the night after a meeting in London, followed by a meeting in Essex the next day. 196 Bishopgate was within walking distance of my London meeting and directly over the road from Liverpool Street station where I needed to catch the train to Essex. I did not use the kitchen facilities in the apartment other than the kettle, but this would have been a great place for an extended stay.

I didn't have any problems, but agree with another reviewer that sound carries from above. The view from the windows wasn't great, but I wouldn't have expected anything else in this location.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Rinku196, Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Dear David

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following on your recent stay at 196 Bishopsgate Serviced Apartments. It was great to that you liked the upgrade we provided for you and also that the location was perfect for you.

We also would like to apologise if the flooring or noise from the higher floor guests have caused you any problem.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future and do not hesitate to get contact our reservations department or myself for any enquiries.

Reviewed December 2, 2011

If you remember you haven't paid amything like the price for staying in one of the "upmarket" chains and that you're right in the City this place represents great value for money. Bed was on the small side and cupboards a bit flimsy but all in all one of the best options I have used. I spend 2 nights a week in London and this is in the top value bracket.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at 196 Bishopsgate Serviced Apartment.

We are glad that our rate and property has been value for money for you and would like to inform you that we are currently refurbishing our apartments and the furniture and bedding quality will definitely be improving.

We hope to be able to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate and should you require any booking assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department or myself.

Regards

Reviewed November 21, 2011

The website does presents smart modern appartments that look clean and inviting so I suspect the photo's are still from when it was new. The place is very tired and the rooms have not been kept clean with several bulbs gone, no heated rail in the bathroom and generally looking very uncared for. We were originally booked in a 2 bed on first floor where the windows are directly over the Pret a Manager smoking/rest area so we had disturbed sleep whilst the staff there shouted at each other a few feet away from the window. We got moved for the second night to the 5th floor which was quite but the room was just as tired as the first.

Reception when we booked in was hopeless and the desk looks a tip while they are doing 4 jobs at once and yes, they had very poor english. The girl on reception in the morning was more helpful and moved us but it did take rather too much debate and she seemed to have to negotiate with housekeeping?

So a premium price for a fairly poor stay. Whoever owns this should take a close look at their investment as a bit of attention to detail could easily make the prices justified but avoid for now.

Room Tip: 3rd floor and above to avoid noise
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Ber909

Dear Ber909

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at 196 Bishopsgate Serviced Apartments. We sincerely apologise for all the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. We do not normally have such level of service and have now trained our staffs and improved the services accordingly.

We would like to mention that we have also started refurbishing our apartments and hopefully the issues and comments mentioned will not arise again.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again and should you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards
196 Bishopsgate

Reviewed November 18, 2011

1/ no native English speakers - impossible to communicate over the phone - messages apparently understood totally ignored - suspect not even registered
2/ reasonable size room, clean - but no one from the management has ever stayed here - zero bathroom lighting, nowhere to hang towel, shower difficult to get in and out, basin too high, poor storage space to unpack, inadequate mirror to dress by - cold, impersonal - designer death.

strongly recommend the Pret next door for breakfast and coffee ! and stay elsewhere - impossible to see why they should blow this location in this way - it should be rammed.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bucketlistchekov
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I booked this apartment for one night of my business travel to London. They didn't have any studios left, so I booked a 1 bedroom apartment. Upon arrival as an extremely tired traveler, they upgraded me to a 2 bedroom suite! The apartment was HUGE and really nice, however I suppose a little too big for just 1 person. But very nice nevertheless. Clean, comfortable, several different rooms - kitchen, living/office room, 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, even a little patio since I was on the top floor...unfortunately didn't have much time to enjoy any of it. Great views of the city! It was pretty expensive, but since my company was paying it was well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business