“Great Option for Those on the Go!”
Review of My Place Hotel

My Place Hotel
Ranked #923 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 28, 2014

While not a posh place, it certainly has everything one needs. The location is superb if you are out and about going in all directions. Located just 25 meters from a Earls Court Station, a station serving Picadilly, Central and District, getting about the city with minimal line changes was a breeze! The room was a very good size for a London budget hotel. We had private bath, flat screen tv and mini-frig. Internet was only downstairs in the lounge, breakfast room and lobby, yet all the nice sofas and back pillows made it a welcoming place to hang out online. Something a little different...they leave the pot on so there is always hot tea and coffee available in the lounge. They also have a lovely private garden with tables and chairs to laze in the sun. While not posh, the location and amenities would make this hotel a solid choice for any traveller.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vickie_Nagy
There are newer reviews for My Place Hotel

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The location is convenient and the receptionist was friendly, but that's really all I can say in terms of positive attributes here. A bit of an effort has been made to make the lobby look recently remodeled, but that ends once you step out of the elevator. Carpets are stained, wrinkled, and tired, and the dated upholstery on the dark wood furniture is threadbare and torn in places.

Our room was fairly spacious and included a full-size tub in the bath, but the windows were weirdly at floor level and covered with a heavy grate to keep guests from falling into the garden several stories below. The room seemed clean enough, but the bed and pillows were cheap and hard; the seat on the little vanity stool was broken, so it was impossible to sit on without risking injury. Rounding out the depressing room decor were two bare fluorescent bulbs over the bed.

The shampoo provided was bright green and came out in wobbly lumps, and smelled like lime flavoring...if it hadn't foamed up, I could have sworn it was lime Jell-O! We decided not to even try the breakfast, and had a very good one at the pub across the street instead.

All in all, not cheap enough to justify the shabby, cheerless rooms on offer.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessee S
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was disappointing. We chose it because it was fairly close to the Olympia trade show grounds. The place apparently ownes a night club that is attached to the hotel. Music was played Saturday night so loudly that it was difficult to sleep--even 6 floors above the music.

The elevator did not work to the 4th floor, so because I had a lot of heavy luggage, my room had to be reassigned to the 6th floor.

Finally, breakfast begins at 8:00 (on weekends and on weekdays). This makes the breakfast not very practical for business people. On top if that, we had breakfast included in the price of our rooms. I attempted to request a vegan breakfast for each of us. We had to miss the breakfast on the 1st day, because the breakfast started too late. On the 2nd day, we attempted to have breakfast, but other than having presented us with a carton of soy milk, no other preparations had been made. No one knew which of the products were vegan and which ones were not. We managed anyway. On the third day, there was not even any soy milk left.

I don't expect perfection in a service business. I do, however, expect that more effort is put into making the customer happy.

This was a disappointing experience. The hotel is definitely not "my place"...

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Cherence
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Was booked in here with work. Oh my this has to be the dirtiest hotel I have ever set foot in. Nothing worked in the room. The mattress had clearly been urinated on and heavily stained. I tried to phone reception to get someone to do something about it but the phone didn't work. There was no hot cold markers on the taps. No shower head to speak of. The sockets didn't work. The headboard on the so called bed is on an obscure angle and broke. I had hairs on the sheets and in
The sink. The pillows were tesco basic at best. I complained at reception and was told the majority of guests are Dss referrals. Not a
Place I would recommend. I have photographic evidence of the stained mattress. There was cigarette burns on the bath! Need I go on? Both my colleague and I checked out and into a premier inn up the road to be told they would still submit a bill to our company. Good luck on that one as the hotel has to be fit for the purpose

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Hotel could do with a full refurbishment, dining room was more like transport café and at the other end of the dining room was a lounge with a lawn mower pushed behind the so called bar breakfast poor

Room Tip: wait until its refurbished
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie313
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Spent a week in room 101 at the My Place Hotel.
Pros:
Literally around the corner from the Piccadilly Line (so straight shot from Heathrow).

Easy to find and many conveniences nearby (grocery, restaurants, late night kebabs, shops, buses, and tube.)

Plenty of hot water, comfortable bed, a few rooms have balconies (we loved ours).
Nice staff, although many were non-native English speakers so some misunderstandings.

Cons:
Small room - normal for Europe, but the heavy wooden bed took up most the room and led to numerous attacks on our shins. Highly recommend tucking duvet under mattress to avoid accidentally racking yourself on end of bed.

Night club under the hotel on Fri/Sat. We couldn't hear it from our bed most of the time, but when I took a bath at 1am there was definitely some bass coming through the floor.

Key card regularly demagnetized. Not hard to fix, but odd.

Having stayed at other London hotels, breakfast was disappointing. The free meal is strictly continental: ham, cheese, boiled eggs, white toast, instant coffee (!), juice, yogurt, tinned fruit and cereal. Nothing fresh or particularly filling. Also, it only runs from 8-9:30, which is both too late for an early start and too early for a sleep in.

Overall, I wouldn't seek it out as a place to stay unless the price/location outweighed any other options. This hotel frequently shows up in package deals, so it's worth weighing the pros/cons.

Room Tip: Some rooms offer balconies (great for relaxing or smoking.) Lower floors will hear club music on Fri...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed two nights in the hotel. Except good location, near tube and on line to and from Heathrow I can not think anything more positive of the hotel. Tiny room, old rough bed, miniature TV, poor selection for breakfast, window that is locked and yet wind is coming into the room right next to you bed head.... Staff was ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with window that openes
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business