“A returning Customer.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #924 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Mornington, Australia
“A returning Customer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Travelling to the London every year for the last 8 years, I've always stayed at My Place Hotel, the main reason is the location, close to the tube, I often travel on the District line and pick up the tube from Heathrow direct to Earls Court on the Piccadilly line, also, it's close to F.F.C .

Some of the rooms are a bit on the small size, what I do is move some of the unnecessary furniture out of the room until I leave. My main reason for travel is not to sit in my room and watch television, and when I do return I just sleep. There are improvements' being made at the hotel and it's a work in progress. The rooms are adequately cleaned daily, if they are not, I mention it to the management and wrongs are promptly rectified.

Breakfast is the important meal of the day, and being a vego I tend to miss what is served at the buffet. So cannot comment.

I give it the thumbs up. :-D

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Eric0305

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was in London with work for one night - thankfully. I was put in a single room on the sixth floor. Let's start with the positives - the shower worked well and the room was reasonably clean, the staff was friendly and the hotel is conveniently near Earl's Court tube station. However, although I didn't have a cat with me I don't think I could have swung one in the smallest room I've ever stayed in. The single bed was only marginally wider than me but the worse thing was the heat, I tried opening the windows but this did not seem to make much difference even late at night. I used the fan provided to make things almost bearable but the situation in the early morning was not helped by the wafer thin roller blinds that failed to screen any of the light or heat from the rising sun. I would add that this was not during the recent heat wave but when it was warm, rather than hot weather.
The ambience of the room was not helped by the decrepit furniture - none of the drawers of the chest of drawers would open without a herculean effort - really welcome when bathed in 90 degree heat.
The final disappointment was the 'breakfast' - you have to give 24 hours notice - and an extra £10 - for a cooked breakfast, not much use when you're staying for one night and the continental version comprised of some flaccid ham and cheese. We (I was staying with two similarly unfortunate colleagues) got given some toast so we ate that with some brown stuff I think was coffee.
All the above was available for £100

Room Tip: At worst avoid the rooms at the front of the hotel in summer - at best avoid the hotel entirely all...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dodgychris

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Honestly, don't expect much. This is the best advice you will get- in fact don't expect anything except for running water and a bed, not mentioning comfy. I spent there a night last weekend, the staff was polite and the hotel looked average (that is if you do not look up- gaping holes and leak stains are a permanent part of decoration). Our double room was an alright size however one bed was double, the other single- surely you would want the same size beds? Or this could be at least specified in the description? It was extremely hot at night as air con did not work- my friend slept on the floor because it was the only chilly spot! The package included breakfast which was composed of cheap ham, cheese, yoghurt, cereals, toasts, eggs...And a fly which favoured buffet as her hang out. At least coffee was good (from a machine).

It's a good place to stay over in terms of budget. But lower your expectations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aneta P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Receptionists where friendly enough, after we got our key and checked in I was a bit disappointed. Being a housekeeper myself in a 3* hotel, some things let me down: the fridge was not cleaned at all and was very dirty, their were lots of hairs in the shower, the bedroom fan and telephone was dusty and the bathroom floor was not very clean. After walking around on the carpet bare footed, my feet began to get dirty. There is no bath in the bathroom but an extremely tiny shower ( if you are a dress size 16 or above, you have no chance ). Also, a weird thing was, we had to turn on the bathroom light by flipping a switch inside our wardrobe. The hotel is very dated and shabby but a plus side is it's right next the underground train station but I won't be coming here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynsey B
otocad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

When I’m in London, I like to stay in the Earls Court area because 1) quick, easy access from Heathrow (or Gatwick-Victoria) via the tube, 2) from there the tube lines fan out & you can get anywhere in central London in 20 minutes, and 3) hotels are cheaper than further in.
This is the closest hotel to Earls Court tube station, less than 100 yards, so good if you have a lot of luggage to lug.
That said, it gets seedier as you go on. The outside is fresh and clean. The reception is a bit faded, but the staff are helpful. There is a new elevator. On my floor, I was met by a worn armchair and a tattered ironing board in the hallway. The room was tiny, with very worn furniture and a hardboard cupboard. No desk. Wifi in the reception & bar only, but free. Linens worn, but clean.
It was hot. North-facing and without direct sun, it was strip-off-and-sweat-more-than-sauna hot. The fan they provided was hopeless. It was cooler to go outside. I hate to think what it would be like in a sunny room.
So, come here only if you like living in a cramped sauna, or it’s cold outside, or you’re going to be out of the hotel between 8 am and 8 pm, and you don’t mind having hundred-year-old furniture so worn that it has holes in the fabric. I won’t be back.

Room Tip: Facing the garden is probably cooler
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank otocad
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Loved my stay here! There was a really good family feel and the location was just what I wanted for exploring London as it's next to the tube and within walking distance of bars in fulham and west brompton. I will be back next time I'm visiting London...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Amanda J
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here with my mom in May. The hotel is located close to a tube station and this made it very easy to get around London. While the hotel could use some updating, it is still functional. The room was on the small side, but we really did not spend a lot of time in the room. I would stay in this Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends