“It Is a Nice Place”
Review of My Place Hotel

My Place Hotel
Ranked #920 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at My Place during the Olympics in London. I have to say I was a bit worried prior to my stay there because of the feedback here on tripadvisor. I believe all those people who left negative feedback expected a 5-star standard of hotel for the price of a 3-star hotel. The hotel has a friendly and helpful front desk, great furniture, broad breakfast to fulfil different tastes. On sunny London mornings I had my breakfast in the spacious back garden of the hotel which was really very pleasant, especially for London. The location is fantastic – 30 minutes away from Heathrow airport and 10 minutes away from the West End. If you want to stay in Central London and are not willing to pay Park Lane hotel prices I can strongly recommend to stay in this, I would say, boutique hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank George1982_C

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Poky little room,broken furniture and air-conditioning,scuffed walls,Full English breakfast cost £9.95extra and was so greasy it was inedible.Dirty crockery and lounge suite.Lift didn't go to my floor.Mould in room-fridge.Room key kept failing and had to be re-programmred daily.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roger B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, at least in a western country. The room is little larger than a postage stamp. The TV is a 14 inch monitor. The button for my floor didn't work in the elevator. The hallway lights were almost always out on my floor, which made it very difficult to see. Finally, the wifi was very, very slow and was literally down 90 percent of the time. This place is a dive and not worth any more than £10 a night.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Ultramagnus123
Reviewed August 3, 2012

#1 Staff is inadequate and uninformed about the simplest information like buses to and from hotel and tourist sights- they got ruffled when asked - and I was given wrong information on just about everything, the receptionists had never walked to Chelsea FC which is a pleasant walk from the hotel, so they were incapable of giving any advice on walking distances- I told them

#2 rooms and hotel are smelly, stained, and falling down

#3 breakfast is not a breakfast and consists of supermarket strawberry jam and white toast displayed on a table of 2-feet where you need to bend down to reach the jam.

#4 nobody is English origin and have a hard time speaking English

#5 hallways are not lit so when fumbling for kay card, unless you wave your arms in front of movemnet sensitive lights, you will be lost in the dark.

#6 some rooms have no windows, stained sheets, dirty carpets

#7 the Azziz family owners should take pride in offering quality accommodation because the location is great

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elise I
myplacehotel, Manager at My Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Sir/ Madam,

We were extremely disappointed to receive your review and saddened that you feel so strongly about certain aspects of our business.

In response to your first point, I can assure you that all staff on the front desk is trained and more than happy to give each guest unparalleled advice on getting around London. If they do not instantly know the directions to and from a place they will use the internet to provide you with this information. I was born in London and have lived here all of my life and I am afraid that I often have to use the internet/ maps to locate certain places for guests and certainly do not know all bus routes, for example, throughout London at the click of a finger.

All staff on the front desk is absolutely fluent in English and they would not be employed at the hotel if they did not have an excellent command of the English language. London is a very cosmopolitan city and many of the staff who work here are from different countries which is more than often a bonus as they are often able to communicate with guests from their own countries who may be unable to speak English.

All lights in our corridors are motion-sensored to save on energy. They should automatically go on as soon as you exit the lift/ elevator. I apologise if this did not happen and I will be asking our handyman to look into this.

I apologise if your sheets were stained. We use a laundry company to provide us with all of our linen. Occasionally, we are sent back clean linen, but with defects. Our room attendants should most certainly not use this linen and it should be sent back to the linen company which we use. I imagine that this was an oversight by our staff and I again apologise. All rooms have windows and carpets are deep cleaned on a regular basis.

Continental breakfast consists of ham, cheese, boiled eggs, muesli, cornflakes, plain and strawberry yoghurts, fruit cocktail, jam and marmalade, toast, orange juice, tropical fruit juice, tea, coffee, hot chocolate. I apologise if you found this inadequate. We do have other options available from our breakfast menu if this was unsatisfactory.

We will endeavour to take your points on board to improve the experience of guest stays at My Place Hotel.

Yours faithfully,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

What can I say rubbish hotel that could be good but desperately needs an overhaul or carry on trying to suck the life out of the lower budget end market. Stay in a branded hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank colpen
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have just come back from a 3 night stay at My Place and had a very nice stay. I would not recommend this hotel if you are expecting the same amenities as you would find in one of the typical chain hotels. My Place is a small, independently run hotel and this is what I found really nice and unique about this hotel. My room was fine and clean and very quiet, breakfast was perfectly adequate and the staff were extremely kind and helpful. They don't have tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, but do have a coffee machine in the lounge which is free of charge and available all day! I will definitely be recommending My Place to my friends and will be returning next time I am in London.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ann p
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stayed at this property 3 nights at 85GBP per night with breakfast - that is $130 US per night. Upon arrival you are greeted by the overwhelming odor of cheap disinfectant. My bed’s mattress had a hole in the middle of it that you could put three fingers in, and come out the underside of the mattress. The glass curtains, at the window, are so old and dirty, you didn’t want to touch it. . The hotel advertises a garden, which is large and was once probably very pretty. Today it looks like a “junk yard” with old toilet seats piled up at the rear.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo