“Not bad at all”
Review of My Place Hotel

My Place Hotel
Ranked #908 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I previously stayed at a hotel in London where my room was literally the size of a closet. So I wasn't expecting much when I checked into My Place. Well I was pleasantly surprised as my room was literally the size of an attic.

I stayed here for a week with a friend and the room was adequate with a fridge, closet and night stand. There is free wi-fi in the lobby and breakfast area. Breakfast was sufficient as well with toast, boiled eggs, cereal, ham, cheese, yogurt, and coffee machine.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BKHKGal

Reviewed January 15, 2012

It was planned to stay four nights, but we left after two nights. Run down hotel, very small room, the staff seemed a bit overwhelmed, rates are overpriced. The Holiday Inn Express one km away is 200% better.

Room Tip: On the first floor you have wifi
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CharlesBern
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Staff on front desk helpful, room not ready for 2.45 check in, but after a massive whinge we were upgraded to another room. Upgraded makes it sound like a nicer room, but the carpets were filthy, the bath was dirty, the water took aged to heat up and there was no matress protector on the bed....
The waiting staff for the breakfast were surly, and the toast was cold. The milk was off and the selection poor.
All that being said, it was only £65 for the two of us, which is cheap.for London so you totally get what you pay for!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The hotel was better than I expected based on some of the past reviews.

The hotel is located in Earls Court and an easy walk even with luggage from the Earls Court station. The train goes directly from the airport to that stop. They used to have an elevator that took you directly from the line to the exit (2 platforms up) but that is closed for renovations. I had to drag my luggage up a flight of stairs to 1 platform and then use an elevator to get to the exit.

I got there early and I was able to store my luggage for free. Although it was about 11am I was told my room number and I was checked-in, but I had to wait until the official check-in time to go to my room. I knew that anyway so I left my luggage and began to explore the city.

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was a nice spread it consisted of coldcuts (cheese and meat), yogurt, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juice, milk, coffe and tea.

The room was a very good size. It was on the 5th floor it was nicely heated. It had a wardrobe closet, dresser, an ironing board and pants press machine. The carpet was old and stained but it seemed clean. The bathroom had a full bathtub. There is a T.V but there were only 3 channels.

Although the room is made up everyday the sheets were not changed during our 7 day stay.
But this has been my general experience throughout my stay at various hotels throughout Europe.

Overall I was happy with my choice.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Carolinap1
Reviewed November 26, 2011

First impression was that the reception staff were polite (& attractive!). The room was small but functional, slightly better than I expected from other reviews, probably because I booked through a travel agent. But just so you know, at the time I stayed a room opposite from mine was being redecorated. When I enquired about this, I was informed that the hotel was undergoing a refurb as & when so a gradual improvement should become apparant.

The lift works reliably, but it does get busy at breakfast time so it may be quicker to use the stairs if you're on the lower floors.

Room build standards vary, some have balconies, some don't. I would expect the double rooms to be bigger & better than the single rooms, but I was unable to confirm this for sure.

The lighting in the room was not very good, but all the lights actually worked & were adequate. There was a small wall-mounted TV with remote control, & 5-channels. If you feel the need for more channels there is a large flat screen TV in the lounge/breakfast room, try channels 18 & 21 for music. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room, I would have expected to find this in a three-star hotel in England. However, the hot drinks machine in the breakfast room is free for use by guests at all times. The room has an electronic safe mounted inside the small wardrobe. The room also has a 'fridge, I can't see the need for this in England... The bed was comfortable, so much so that I wrote down the name of the mattress used on it! The sheets were clean, & the towels were changed daily. The carpet was a bit grubby as mentioned by other reviewers, but not dirty as such, just old. This may possibly be improved during the refurb? A steam clean would help, though. No problem with noise from the street at night, but I had a room facing the garden so I wouldn't have noticed it anyway. However, the hotel is on a side road and traffic is only occasional.

The lighting in the bathroom was much better, more than good enough for shaving. Complimentary soap & shower gel in bathroom. Bath with shower, hot water was reliable, prompt, & at good pressure.

Continental breakfast is included in the basic room price, with English breakfast available for £9.95 if ordered one day in advance. Best to eat early, the breakfast room gets busy about 0830+. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but it's only a few yards up a side street from a main road with plenty of restaurants, a kebab house, fast food outlets, pubs, off-licenses & variuos shops. So no need to go hungry.

This hotel is well situated for the Earl's Court exhibition hall, and less than a 20-minute walk from the Olympia exhibition halls. There is an Olympia train station directly opposite from the Olympia, but as it is only one stop away from Earl's Court I think it's actually much quicker to walk. And cheaper than a £4 one-way tube ticket.

There is a nightclub in the hotel cellar, but it only opens one day a week on Fridays.

I paid £300 for four nights single room B&B, booked through a local travel agent, I plan on staying here again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden may be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank manchoy
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Seriously, stay away if you really want three stars. My fiancé and I have been on European holiday staying at mostly 3 star hotels for over two weeks now. This place is by far the worst we have seen. The carpet is paper thin and visibly stained and discolored. In fact it's barely attached to the floor. The walls are doors are all scuffed and probably not received a paint job in decades. Half the lights don't work as well as our door lock. There are random tiles missing from the bathroom and the ceiling isn't fully painted. Thank goodness we are only here for 2 nights. I really am mad at myself for not picking up shop and moving to ANY other hotel we could fin after the first night. I have never felt so compelled to send a warning via review. Don't make our mistake. Spend a little extra and get a better place.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Small room, but that's expected in Europe. Rooms were poorly ventilated therefore hot for these two Texans! Staff was pretty nice. Location wasn't too bad. About 10-15 minutes via underground to most tourist destinations. Room was clean, poorly decorated, but clean. We spent most time in city so not a big deal. Overall not bad if you are on a budget and can navigate the subway easily.

• Stayed: October 2011