“My Place.”
Review of My Place Hotel

My Place Hotel
Ranked #910 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 26, 2011

First impression was that the reception staff were polite (& attractive!). The room was small but functional, slightly better than I expected from other reviews, probably because I booked through a travel agent. But just so you know, at the time I stayed a room opposite from mine was being redecorated. When I enquired about this, I was informed that the hotel was undergoing a refurb as & when so a gradual improvement should become apparant.

The lift works reliably, but it does get busy at breakfast time so it may be quicker to use the stairs if you're on the lower floors.

Room build standards vary, some have balconies, some don't. I would expect the double rooms to be bigger & better than the single rooms, but I was unable to confirm this for sure.

The lighting in the room was not very good, but all the lights actually worked & were adequate. There was a small wall-mounted TV with remote control, & 5-channels. If you feel the need for more channels there is a large flat screen TV in the lounge/breakfast room, try channels 18 & 21 for music. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room, I would have expected to find this in a three-star hotel in England. However, the hot drinks machine in the breakfast room is free for use by guests at all times. The room has an electronic safe mounted inside the small wardrobe. The room also has a 'fridge, I can't see the need for this in England... The bed was comfortable, so much so that I wrote down the name of the mattress used on it! The sheets were clean, & the towels were changed daily. The carpet was a bit grubby as mentioned by other reviewers, but not dirty as such, just old. This may possibly be improved during the refurb? A steam clean would help, though. No problem with noise from the street at night, but I had a room facing the garden so I wouldn't have noticed it anyway. However, the hotel is on a side road and traffic is only occasional.

The lighting in the bathroom was much better, more than good enough for shaving. Complimentary soap & shower gel in bathroom. Bath with shower, hot water was reliable, prompt, & at good pressure.

Continental breakfast is included in the basic room price, with English breakfast available for £9.95 if ordered one day in advance. Best to eat early, the breakfast room gets busy about 0830+. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but it's only a few yards up a side street from a main road with plenty of restaurants, a kebab house, fast food outlets, pubs, off-licenses & variuos shops. So no need to go hungry.

This hotel is well situated for the Earl's Court exhibition hall, and less than a 20-minute walk from the Olympia exhibition halls. There is an Olympia train station directly opposite from the Olympia, but as it is only one stop away from Earl's Court I think it's actually much quicker to walk. And cheaper than a £4 one-way tube ticket.

There is a nightclub in the hotel cellar, but it only opens one day a week on Fridays.

I paid £300 for four nights single room B&B, booked through a local travel agent, I plan on staying here again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden may be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank manchoy

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Seriously, stay away if you really want three stars. My fiancé and I have been on European holiday staying at mostly 3 star hotels for over two weeks now. This place is by far the worst we have seen. The carpet is paper thin and visibly stained and discolored. In fact it's barely attached to the floor. The walls are doors are all scuffed and probably not received a paint job in decades. Half the lights don't work as well as our door lock. There are random tiles missing from the bathroom and the ceiling isn't fully painted. Thank goodness we are only here for 2 nights. I really am mad at myself for not picking up shop and moving to ANY other hotel we could fin after the first night. I have never felt so compelled to send a warning via review. Don't make our mistake. Spend a little extra and get a better place.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Small room, but that's expected in Europe. Rooms were poorly ventilated therefore hot for these two Texans! Staff was pretty nice. Location wasn't too bad. About 10-15 minutes via underground to most tourist destinations. Room was clean, poorly decorated, but clean. We spent most time in city so not a big deal. Overall not bad if you are on a budget and can navigate the subway easily.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Just back from 6 nights here. It was fine, clean and very nice staff.
It is a very basic place to sleep, just realize that going in, and spend your money on other things in London.
Location is great for Heathrow and for tube use.
Also nice grocery stores (Sainsbury one way, Marks & Spencer the other) plenty of pubs and restaurants.
Coffee from the machine at breakfast is not good, but Costa coffe right down the street.
Wifi only on first floor, overall not a bad hotel for the price n a very expensive City.

Room Tip: Higher probably better, there is street noise
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I have recently stayed at this hotel in London. It is classified as a 3-star and I think it is a 2.5 star :-) The location is PERFECT. 5 min from the Earl's Court tube station. A lot of facilities on Earl's Ct road. The hotel staff was really pleasant and they even allowed me to check-out one hour later as I had a minor delay on that day. I was given a room on the 6th floor with a view to the hotel garden. It was a double room (I shared with a friend) and unlike many similar hotels in London, you could open the window to get some fresh air! The continental breakfast wasn't anything to write home about but it was included! Free wi-fi downstairs. The only thing I didn't like was that the carpet in my room was totally stained and looked dirty. However, the bed linen was clean and I got fresh towels every day! Can't complain at all!

Room Tip: Get a room far from the elevator if you can :)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Drezende
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed here two nights in September. The lobby is clean and the breakfast area is very accommodating. The hotel is less than 2 minutes from the Earl's Court Tube Station.

However, our room on the 6th floor was out of date and dirty. There was no air conditioning or ventilation. There was very little room to walk around the bed because the size of the room.

The bathroom was older, but had great water pressure.

The staff was friendly and let us make several long distance calls from the front desk as opposed to using the room phone. Breakfast was adequate, but nothing special.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was relieved that we only had to stay in this hotel for two nights. It's good location doesn't make up for the dirty, run down condition. The room was incredibly small. A shelf for my suitcase was located just inside the door, but we couldn't open the door if my suitcase was open. The bed which had a rust stained mattress was smaller than a double and I was awake most of the night thinking about bed bugs (didn't see any, but condition of the mattress made me nervous). The hair dryer kept coming apart in my hands and the towels were so thin we could see through them! The continental breakfast was only served between 8:00 and 9:30, too late for most people who were touring. However, the night clerk (Rodge) was very helpful and put out a breakfast for us each morning before we left for our tours. Breakfast was coffee and toast. This is a hotel in a good location but definitely in need of major renovations.

Room Tip: We left for the Abcone just a few blocks away, a better location and much more comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple