“Hotels in London Need Constant monitoring”
Review of Castleton Hotel

Castleton Hotel
Ranked #904 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 8, 2012

As a professional in the tourism activity and with experience of hotels in the UK and Europe, including Malta I can only say that standards at this hotel leave alot to be decided - the rooms are too small, they are not equipped for health and safety levels and the decor is not the quality one expects from a 3 star hotel!

on the question of service standards, while the staff are very helpful yet they are over worked and de motivated - the receptionist was not at the desk when we checked in because, we later learnt, he had to check a toilet in a room!

I believe the Castleton could be a very good boutique hotel if it were professionally managed and operated.

Room Tip: Indicate that you want a room on the front and , possibly, not small and with a decent sized shower...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TourismJournalist
Mark0brien, General Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you ‘tourismjournalist’ for posting a review.
I am sorry to hear you didn’t fully enjoy your stay at our hotel. Firstly, as an experienced and well-travelled ‘tourist professional’ I would have thought you knew that most of the bedrooms in converted Victorian town house hotels are compact. We are not unique in the area for having compact bedrooms.
I also refute your comment that the rooms ‘are not equipped for health and safety levels’. In the UK we have to have the premises risk assessed in order to obtain insurance. The assessment includes the bedrooms and all public areas. We employ a Risk Manager to undertake this task. All assessments are updated yearly and I am happy to tell you that our rooms do comply with health and safety legislation in the UK.
My staff is very helpful and have a ‘can do’ attitude hence my receptionist running to a bedroom to assist a guest with their bathroom at the time you checked in. Most people appreciate this level of service…….
Regards to my staff being de-motivated, the majority have been with me for over 5 years. They enjoy their positions, are treated fairly and are like family. I do not think de-motivated staff would stay with me for over 5 years.
I too am a very experienced ‘tourist professional’ with many years’ service in hotels of different star ratings. In my professional opinion I consider The Castleton Hotel to be good budget guest accommodation in central London offering value for money in a clean and pleasant environment.
We are not as boutique hotel and have never tried to be.

There are newer reviews for Castleton Hotel

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked 4 rooms at the castleton - 3 doubles and 1 single. The single was exellent no problem,2 of the doubles were very good - proper doubles (our three grown ups were in these).The 3rd double was room 203 - we were given this room - this room must be avoided at all costs - its tiny with a shower room thats even smaller than tiny. My complaint was that all doubles should be double size not different sizes as I was given. In my opinion room 203 is a single room with a double bed. I did ask at reception but was told no its a double. The breakfast was good but lacking choice if you don't do a full English. The Hotel is clean and well situated.

Room Tip: Avoid room 203 - its not a double
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Booked into Castleton Hotel as we were hosting a guest from South Africa. We booked a family room for us as we had our granddaughter with us and a double room for our guest. you could have knocked us over with a feather when we entered our room - it was tinier than tiny!! The bathroom was a moulded plastic version similar to that of a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn. One had to literally shuffle past each other to get to the bed or bathroom, i've never actually ever stayed in such a tiny room? Breakfast was an absolute fiasco - the dining room was jam packed and the servers were clearly out of their depth with such an influx of people. There was no fresh fruit and no yoghurts - fried food or cereal only? The up side on this hotel is definitely the location and it really was quite spotless - couldn't fault it there. But out of choice, we would'nt stay there again and definitely not at the price we paid, we could have stayed at the Hilton Paddington instead and will do so in future. This is a hotel I would not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Room in the basement with a window overlooking the fire stairs and garbage which meant staff outside the window early in the morning. Double bed for 2 persons meant a bed of approx 120 cm.
Breakfast used to be good, now only fried egg, bacon and sausage. When asking for toothpick and honey, - sorry, we do not provide that.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Resenaren50
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We chose this hotel as it had parking (£20) and we needed to be within easy access of Heathrow after a friend's wedding. Staff were helpful enough but our room (2) was basically a single room with a double bed in it (an uncomfortable double bed). I had to sleep right up against the window and could hear everything on the street outside. Bathroom was small but clean and new.
Overall a very bad night's sleep, although other rooms may be better.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms on the ground floor at the front!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Located in a terrace of similar hotels a few minutes walk from either Lancaster Gate or Paddington underground stations.

Small clean well-maintained room with comfortable bed. Smallest bathroom I have yet encountered in the United Kingdom. It was one of those one piece prefabricated bathrooms. Plenty of hot water. Only one towel supplied but it was changed every day. Only quibble I had with the room was that it had no desk to work at and only two clothes hangers supplied.

Friendly staff. Good location. Lots of restaurants and pubs around. Good hotel for tourists. Poor hotel for business person due to lack of work area.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Me and my six friends, me the only girl, staied at this hotel last weekend. I sleept in an tripple room whith tre single beds. The room was clean, but small. Our room was in 2.level. The staff was very friendly and always nice too us. Food was ok.

My four other friends, all boys, lived inn an bedroom whith to single beds and one double. This room was also small, but cleen. But since they were all guys and no couples they asked for to singles blankets istead of one double blanket in the double bed. The staff said they didnt have any more single blankets left soo they had too share the large one.
That is not good enough and its the reason that I give castleton hotel tree stars insted of four.

Despite the negativ episode about the blankets we would still want to stay here in the future. Great location and a cheap hotel.