“Good rates and location for Paddington”
Review of Castleton Hotel

Castleton Hotel
Ranked #904 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've stayed at a number of non-corporate hotels in and around Paddington Station. This one is good. The rates at the time (2012 Olympics) was the best in the area. The room was in good condition and the staff was accomodating, especially when we needed more time to check out. Additionally they stored our luggage for a day while we took in the the town. I recoment this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 23, 2012

the rooms are extremely small booked a double for a four night stay there was a small double bed which was only accessed from one side later found that they were two singles bolted together not the best!! no room to open luggage properley only on bed asked if they had anything bigger only to find they were all pretty much the same size . shower cubicle was miniscule (hard pressed to discribe it as a bathroom as im sure you could of used the loo and showered at the same time) found a used cigarette on windowsill in room on arrival was still there on departure the hotel was very noisy you could hear the going ons of the other guest and staff there was also a lot of road noise breakfast was ok if you could stand awfull smell in dining room!! on the plus side the staff wee friendly and the location was good but there are far better hotels in same area for same price bracket

Room Tip: the rooms are all much the much
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark0brien, General Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you ‘Busyme12’ for posting a review. I am sorry to read that you had a less than enjoyable time in our hotel. The room you were allocated on the ground floor is a good size with a ‘zip and link’ bed. This means the beds can either be made into a double or kept as two singles. These beds are common place in most hotels including a few large 4 star hotel chains I have worked in.
The en-suite in your room is a full size en-suite with a full size shower cubicle, sink and toilet. It was stocked daily with fresh towels and toiletries.
I would like to apologise for the cigarette but you found on the window sill. I have spoken with the Head Housekeeper who has retrained the maid from that floor.
As our hotel is on a main road in central London it is expected that there will be some road noise and noise from people walking past outside.
The breakfast room is located in the basement and the only smell coming from it is the smell of cooking breakfast.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for over a month during the Olympics as I was working in Hyde Park on the festival site. It was perfect for me as it was low price and 10 minute walk to Hyde Park.
Also a benefit that it is literally at the entrance to Paddington Station, opposite a variety of restaurants and close to useful amenities.

I was working very long hours so didn't spend much time in a day there, but for somewhere to go to sleep and have breakfast it was very good. The room was always very clean and tidy when I came back every evening, and breakfast was good in the morning - although the glasses for Orange Juice are tiny!

The room was quite small for a double - should have really been a single room, but I guess that's what you expect in central London for the price. The only downside for me, as I was there for 34 nights, was that there are no laundry facilities and there isn't a launderette very close, as well as no iron or safe in the room.

Staff were friendly and welcoming, and on one of the nights when there was a noisy crowd in next door they were more than helpful in asking them to quieten down a little bit. I would stay here again for any central London stays.

Bottom line is - it is a good price for location, clean, tidy and a good breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Very close to Paddington and Hyde Park. A small room but adequate for one night stays. Felt like a single room with a double bed squeezed in. The bathroom small but looks recently refurbished and very very clean (well done the cleaners!). Reception friendly, breakfast good. Overall I would stay here again but for no more than one night.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel. It's very close to Paddington station, which is about 3 minute walk. And from Paddington, you can access airports, underground, and the rest of England very easily. At least that was my plan. The price was very reasonable, about 60 pounds, which is a great bargain for such a great location and 3 stars. But I will never stay there again.

I got a room in the basement, which meant that the window in my room can be viewed from people walking on the street. This meant, I close the window and the curtain all the time and hope that nobody get a funny idea to break into the room :(. how can I sleep?

The room has no lock. The front desk gives you a key to enter the room and there's nothing more to keep the door from opening. This made me feel really uncomfortable on top of the window situation. In the morning, the hotel worker started laundry, which was just outside my room. It was very annoying wakeup call.

Cheaper hotel means those who favor cheaper price gather. I heard young guys laughing and talking around 2am at night. With no lock on the door, sleeping in pyjama did not make me feel good.

I'm 4'10", a tiny person and felt that the bed was too small. Actually, it was so small I once fell.

Breakfast was bunch of toast, cereal, tomatoes, bacon, sunny side up eggs, and sausages. If you like these greasy typical English breakfast, that's fine. For me who came to see the Olympics and feeling like being in shape, I just had an egg and went to Paddington station grocery store to get something more decent.

I regret I tried to save money by staying in this hotel. If you can't afford to stay at more expensive hotel, the do ask for a room not in the basement.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Located 2 mins walk from Paddington, this hotel is well-placed within London to get around easily, and was good value for a central location. We had a 4 person family room, 1 x double & 2 singles. The room was a reasonable size & nicely decorated. The bathroom is a sink, toilet & small shower cubicle. It's small, but functional & perfectly adequate for our short stay. I will definitely consider returning here next time I'm in London.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed during the Olympics. Convenient location as close toPpaddington & Lancaster Gate underground - but very small room - & tiny shower.
Breakfast good but served on side plates. Staff helpful & free WiFi provided.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple