Lidos Hotel
$288
$279
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbudget hotelvictoria stationbus stop rightcontinental breakfastyogurtbuckingham palacepimlico tubegatwick expressrooms are smallbasement roomrecommend this hotelvery clean hotelshort staytea coffee making facilitiessingle roomwould stay here againno air con
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I went to Lidos about 10 days ago with my boyfriend, and we stayed there for 1 week.
Its position is really strategic, because it is near...all, such as Victoria Station, Victoria Coach Station, Buckingham Palace (about 15 mins by feet), and bus stop 24 is in front of hotel's main entrance.
Breakfast is from 7 am to 9 am, and it's continental...it's good but not abundant.
Lidos' staff is really kind and helpful.
The rooms and the bathrooms are very small but brand new because they have been restructured; they are clean kept very well.
Unfortunately renovations are not finished, so you can see workers walking the corridor and working with their tools.
Surely I will return there when I'll go again to London!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel was a perfect place for a short stay. I visited for 5 days with my granddaughter's 16th birthday. While the rooms were very small and the accommodations far from luxurious, the hotel staff were very kind and helpful. Best if all, it was sited within easy walking distance to many of London's best features including Buckingham Palace and St. James Park. Were I to visit again for a short city-stay, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelfancy
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is in a good location - I took my 3 daughters to London to see a couple of shows and visit some art galleries. We stayed for one night - the room we had was fairly shabby - but the hotel is having a much needed over haul. The breakfast was very basic - but the coffee was good!!. It was spoilt somewhat by the builders smoking right outside the breakfast room window - and the smoke wafted through whilst we were eating our coissants.
The hotel reception staff are very friendly. And we surprisingly judging by some of the other comments - slept very soundly. However we were right next to the canteen style breakfast room and we were woken very early. I think with hind sight we could have found a cheaper hotel - but with the Olympic Games looming - who knows???...this particular road seems full of hotels.

Room Tip: If you don't want to wake up early - avoid the basement - breakfast is 'served'....from 7am.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at Lidos Hotel for 3 nights. This is a nice looking hotel from the outside in a quiet street and within walking distance to everything.

When we checked in the Reception area was reeking of cigarette and one side of the room where the lift was located was boarded up and paint covers on the floor.

The room we were given was 4 - a basement room wedged between a fire stair and a toilet. The room was old with a double bed and a window with a view to the back of the building which was littered with building material. We asked to move as the room was unacceptable and we were advised we could have room 10 on the second floor but only for one night as they could turn this room into a twin room whereas he was not sure the beds in room 4 could be pulled apart.

The new room was tiny but had been renovated and had a new bathroom. It had two beds pushed together to make a queen - the bed took up all the space in this room, there was no where to put bags. It was pretty much a case of one person sitting on the bed to get past each other.

The renovated bathroom had a shower with a door which opened inwards so even for a small person I still had to wedge myself against the wall, on top of this the soap dispenser in the shower smelled like sewerage - this was not a bad brand of soap but was chemically off....so bad that we took it to reception. The guy on duty was not able to smell any different and asked what was wrong with it! We were still trying to get the noxious smell out of the room for hours. A while later a knock on our door from the same man on reception telling us we needed to make sure we got the soap off our hands.

Two room changes later and we were moved to room 6, a room on the landing. This room was refurbished and slightly
bigger with a new bathroom and also had more room to move around. The beds were two singles pushed together with bad springs and one which had collapsed in the middle so you rolled into it. The top cover smelled like it had not been washed as it had a sweaty smell to it.
The view from this room was obstructed by scaffolding.

Breakfast was a simple affair in the basement consisting of croissants, breads, cereal, yoghurt, juice, tea and coffee.

A bad experience from the start and we did not feel comfortable for the rest of our stay. I would recommend this hotel as a last resort only.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The lidos is good for one thing,
Location if you need to be in central London but that's all I found good about my stay. We had a terrible nights sleep had to leave the window open all night because for some reason it was hotter than the sun in the room. And the noise outside with the road and planes flying over was insane plus the bed you feel like your gonna roll off its so uncomfortable. The sad thing was that having the window open made no difference whatsoever still a billion degrees. If you could fall asleep on a burning hot run way with planes flying over your head all night then the lidos is for you, but me i can't wait to get out of here.

• Stayed: June 2012