“Avoid at all costs!”

Ranked #938 of 1,069 Hotels in London
N Ireland
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Was a victim of the catastrophe that was Heathrow Airport on the night 11 Dec when British Airways just canclled all their flights to Belfast. Passengers were effectively handed a piece of paper, told to make a claim and get on with it......but that is another story!

When I finally married up with my hold bag, 2 hours later, and feeling tired and cranky I started the search for a hotel. The hotel reservation service was taking forever to find hotels for stranded passengers so I took the bold decision to book my own hotel.

Decided to look for something around Paddington because the Heathrow Express could get me there in 15 mins. First hotel that came up was the Lancaster Court Hotel and at £46.00 I just grabbed fully aware in my mind at that price, in London, I was taking a chance.

Hotel was literally a 5 min walk from Paddington Station and I found it easily using the navigation app on my phone.

First impression on entering the "reception" was "uh oh". Very small but I was quickly and efficiently booked in and was given a room on the 4th floor. Went through the doors to the stairs and even I, an experienced traveller, was stopped in my tracks by what greeted me. 4 floors and no lift. Toilets on every landing. Ripped and dirty wall paper with what looked suspiciously like smeared dried blood in places, a dirty worn threadbare carpet on the floor and stairs that threatened to give way underfoot as you laboured up to the room. OMG! I've stayed in some rough places but this looked like a student doss house!

Anyway eventually made to the room, which was as about as small as a room could be, only to find lights weren't working! Trudged back down the stairs to reception and informed the gentlemen of the problem and he looked at me and asked me "why is there no electricity?". Good question mate...you sort it......which he wasn't able to do and gave me keys to another room on the same floor. At this stage all I could do was laugh at the situation. The replacement room had 3 beds, a desk with what looked like 2 planks nailed to the top to make the desktop, a bedside locker that was nailed to the wall, wall paper falling off the wall and a shower that looked like you would be a candidate for Legionaire's disease if you used it! There was a tiny bar of soap left for guests so if you didn't have your own wash kit with you you were buggered. The bedroom looked like some of those rooms you see on UK Borderforce where illegal immigrants are crammed into a small space. The wardrobe was a knock together second hand chipboard type with about 3 coat hangers. This was beyond bad!

Bed was spotlessly clean and I just collapsed in it and went to sleep. Got up for breakfast and went to the basement room where it was served and again my jaw dropped. Tables and high benches crammed into a tiny space. Breakfast was coffee, toast, hard boiled egg and juice. That's it......I suppose I was lucky we got breakfast at all! The seat at the benches were so high it almost required a ladder to get up to the seat! Other residents seemed as stunned as I was and breakfast such as it was, was taken in relative peace.

Finished breakfast, packed my bag, and got out of there as quick as I could. Even Heathrow airport was more inviting!

This is a last ditch option for anyone who is desperate for a bed. It is not a bargain at the price as the hotel fails to reach even the most basic standards. Avoid this hotel unless you are really really stuck for somewhere to stay.

Dreadful!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank WeeManNIreland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as the location appealed to me. On arrival the room seemed basic but ok as a base. We were a family of 4 staying in a room with 2 double beds. As we entered the room the heat nearly took our breath away. I mentioned this to the receptionist on our way out and she said they would sort it. When we arrived back later the heat was still unbearable and still nothing was done we had to wedge the drop down window open with the bin to let some air into the room. Breakfast was the worst I have ever encountered with 2 girls with no manners serving 1 rack of toast per table. When we requested more we were laughed at. My advice is don't bother. Stay elsewhere!

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank helenb1710

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Winsford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Lancaster Court Hotel is not a real hotel more like a bed and breakfast. Lots of things wrong here. The shower was a try and curtain in the small bedroom, the Wc was so small that to wipe it required you to come out of the small closet! (This also housed a small wash basin). Admittedly the young girl did offer another room for me to have a shower while my wife and daughter had a shower in our room. When we had breakfast we arrived towards the end time but well within the times we were asked to leave pretty sharply after the end time, we complained to reception. Poor décor, woodchip paper on the walls, paint flaking, unclean bedrooms oh the list goes on.

Room Tip: don't bother.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stanislaw Romek B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

You may think you have stumbled on a great price for a well located hotel - you haven't ! It's an awful hotel, spend some more money and read reviews of hotels in the area.

I made this booking on behalf of 2 friends, thinking I'd bagged them a bargin, I couldn't have being more mistaken. The room was twin with the beds end to end, you could touch both sides of the room.. When the description says 'with shower' don't be surprised to find the shower in the same room, so you have no privacy... Oh and NO toilet.. That's 2 floors up! Don't both complaining the staff have heard it all before, the guy on reception thought it was a laugh, he told us 'you get what you pay for'.. The rate for this room was weigh above its quality. Don't gamble on the few reviews that suggest this hotel is excellent ! Probably had their staff write rate those reviews! I visited my friends and was horrified by the state of the place.... No where else can be as poorer as this place! If there was a rating below terrible, it would have been used extensively for this dump!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaveHull63
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I had expected due to being on my honeymoon my request asking for petals on the bed for my bride undertaken prior to our arrival. Instead my request was totally ignored, and it appeared that my wedding were seen as a joke bu the staff due to the fact I had married an inanimate object.
I felt very uncomfortable about this, as my wife who is also my laundry basket was not taken seriously.
My who day, and honeymoon ruined along with my LIFE...thanks to this awful Hotel, if that's what you call it - I would say more garbish can/hovel.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Lukeandbasket
London
Reviewed November 9, 2013

location is great as its right near an underground station, room is ok, bathroom was near enough unusable...really small difficult to even sit on the toilet! but at £42.50 a night I cant complain at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a budget hotel squeezed into an old residential property - so rooms are squeezed into the residential layout; showers, bathrooms are built into the rooms; everything is a bit tatty; no lift; but there are positives:
1. Location, location, location ... 2 minutes to Paddington (x-press link to Heathrow & good tube connections); 10 minutes walk to Oxford Street;
2. I like staying in old properties that have character - my ground floor room had 3m+ ceilings and plaster coving ...
3. I was nice to the staff and they were very nice and helpful to me ...
4. There was a tea kettle with tea bags and coffee in the room and I could borrow an iron and ironing board.
5. Yes, breakfast is basic - toast, croissants, jam, cheese, coffee, tea and juice ... but at least it was orange juice and not sugary fruit drink and the coffee was fine .... this is a lot better than in a lot of more expensive places that I have stayed in ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business