“Get what you pay for”

Ranked #918 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bristol
“Get what you pay for”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

London is expensive but it is worth paying more to stay anywhere but here. Awful facilities, breakfast was a joke and the coffee must have been swept off the pavement.

The rooms are dirty and dusty and the shared facilities really need to be cleaned occasionally. Location is great but that is it.

Room Tip: The rooms are close together and paper thin walls, hope for some quiet neighbours!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BristolGrecian79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed June 5, 2013

'Single room with shower' did not include a toilet! And the shower was not in a bathroom, but simply a shower cubicle in the room. And water came through the ceiling when the people above me showered.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Gemma T

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Really not nice at all. Everything in the hotel room was bolted down as if they expect the guests to steal even the bedside lamps. There were no amenities and the room was dirty. There was no phone in the room and certainly no clocks or hair dryers. There was no Internet access unless you paid to use your own wireless or went to the lobby and paid 1 GBP for 10 minutes. Even after paying, the e-mail function did not work.

Breakfast was to be included, but in reality breakfast was toast, coffee or tea and your choice of three pre-packaged cheeses. A bowl of cereal would have been most welcome and not that expensive to provide.

The staff was not friendly which also would have made a more pleasant stay.

The only positive to the hotel is the proximity to Paddington Station, which is about a two block walk.

Room Tip: I would stay somwhere else if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
earth
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My plan was to walk through Hyde Park, but certainly not with 30 pounds of bags and certainly not in the 00-10 by Kyiv time. but the fact that my time on earth the British comforted and filled the body of calm and confidence. and on the way my eye pleasing modest, but at the same time majestic scenery and views of the Royal Albert Hall ... even though it meant that I did not go in that direction ...
as a result, I saw a sign on the fence with the name of Sussex Gardens and was pleased as a little child. I quickly got the key to my room, threw things and went in search of the nearest shops with food and cards for mobile phones. because as a caring corporate network operator, so just in case roaming turned off, as I found out after landing. owning a card likamobile, I made a penny promised me a call to Ukraine, where at that time was late at night. I calmed all and finally felt truly relaxed and tired. closer to 1-00 AM local time already, I went to sleep and seems to immediately awakened by the frantic screams of women in the corridor. it was found that some Italian, coming back from lunch, fell down the stairs and hurt her leg, and this could only mean one thing ... it's time to go and have your continental breakfast.))

Room Tip: will not be in the dungeon. the first floor is underground
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ramat-Gan
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had to pass through London on a short trip and got their name through a last-minute booking ap. Room was very modest but also very clean and comfortable. Staff was helpful about everything. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an economical and pleasant place to stay in London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hard to find a place on bank holiday weekend in London, so I knew the price of this hotel meant that it would be very basic. However, although the room was relatively clean (the sheets/towels etc were very clean) it was falling apart and the walls were very grubby.
The shower that we were promised was actually IN the room, as in, no separate bathroom, it was right there for everyone to see, It was a double room so I was sharing with my partner. So this wasn't a problem of embarrassment but it was just really weird. I would not suggest this if you are sharing with a friend to save money. The shower was also blocked, which is SO horrible and the water barely got luke-warm.
Hotel room description promised a toilet, however this wasn't true. the reception staff did not inform us where the toilet was so when we realised there wasn't one in the room, we had to search the corridors, eventually finding it downstairs. But there was no sink. the sink was in the bedroom. so, you use the toilet then handle your key and all the door handles just so you can then wash your hands in your room. Totally pointless.

The double bed was also literally only big enough to fit me and my partner if we did not move and we are slender people!

The TV also didn't work.

I know this was a good price for a room in London but that's no excuse. we recently stayed at the Thistle in Clerkenwell for the same price and that was so lovely.

On a positive note the staff were friendly, it's a good location and although I didn't sleep well because the bed was so small it was quiet. However I would never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a toilet IN the room! request not to have room 33 as we know that didn't.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joanna H
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'm rather confused by many of the reviews I've seen here. Confused enough that I'm almost certain I've stayed in a different hotel than the majority of other reviewers!

First off, let's be honest. If you know anything about London, you know that staying in central London is NEVER cheap. Never. You can always expect to pay at least $100 for a room that is moderately reasonable, and then often in a not-so-great area. The Lancaster Court is in a fabulous part of town - it's the area that I have always preferred in London, and it tends to be quite expensive.

This hotel is about a 5 minute walk from Paddington Station (slightly more if you've got luggage) and about a 5 minute walk from Hyde Park which is, hands down, the most beautiful park. Anywhere. Anywhere in the world!

Okay, so that said, when you find a place in central London, in such a fabulous area, near the world's most beautiful park, that is extremely affordable, you HAVE to know that it's not going to be anything like the nearby Hilton (which rents for about 259 GBP/night *IF* you book well in advance). No, there isn't a lift. Yes, we were on the 5th floor. Was it a pain? Well, yeah, but only that one time when we had to haul our luggage up so many flights of stairs (which workers in the hallway were happy to help us with). Our room was on the small side, but it was clean with fresh linen (white linen, I should point out, and white is very unforgiving of stains - but this was unstained and clean). I guess I'd use the word quaint to describe our room because it was small, but in some ways it was nicer than other places because it had character. The room is situated in an old building, so it wasn't all high-tech and modern. There was a TV, the bathroom and shower were clean, and the cleaning staff took care of us every day.

The staff were all friendly, offered us recommendations when we asked, and were accommodating to us when we had special requests. (We stayed for three nights, then took off for Bath for the weekend, then intended to stay with them for an additional three nights after our return to London. We asked if they'd be able to move us to a lower level room for our second stay and they were happy to do it - even wrote "Do Not Move" on our reservation card so others wouldn't try to bump us to a different room.)

Were the rooms amazing? No. Were they adequate for our needs? Definitely. We both slept very well and we never heard noise coming from other rooms.

Yes, the wifi is quite expensive at 10 quid for 24 hours, but it's pretty standard pricing for most places that don't offer free wifi. We didn't check out the free breakfast (mostly because we were never up early enough - who goes on holiday only to be awake, showered and dressed before 9AM?! Other than my mom, that is.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple