“well worth a visit”

Dennis Severs' House
Ranked #199 of 1,655 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Dennis Severs' House offers a glimpse into 18th-century (Georgian-era) life in England.
A TripAdvisor Member
“well worth a visit”
Reviewed February 1, 2005

From the minute I entered the door I stepped back in time. You could imagine the hard times when you reached the attic rooms, eerily cold you could smell the poverty. I loved the silence although the ring of the servents bell in the kitchen made me jump. Listen and you could hear the servants. Were they still there!!!!!!!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
chicago, il
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Truly amazing experience”
Reviewed January 17, 2005

I hestitate to write a review singing the praises of this very off beat place, because I don't want too many people to discover this gem. I've been to Dennis Sever's house three times, at different times of the year, and have always loved it. I've taken local mates who never even knew it existed and they really enjoyed the experience.
As they say on their website, you either 'see it'- or you don't, but if you're the type who looks at paintings in museums and wonders what it was like to be in the room with the artist, or secretly wishes you could just jump right into it and back in time, well this is the 'still-life drama' you've been searching for. Once inside, you're entirely removed from modern-day London despite being in the middle of it. The website pictures can't do it justice, as every room is amazing in it's detail, down to the smells and sounds. It took me a few minutes, the first time I was at the house, to realize there wasn't actually a cart and horse going by outside the window. All that and a really friendly caretaker and resident cat to add to your experience.
The opening hours are extremely limited so planning and reserving ahead are essential. Worth every penny, and a good hour to 1.5 hours of your valuable time.

6 Thank emjoy
Boston, Massachusetts
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“definitely quirky”
Reviewed January 16, 2005

This was a little different than I expected from guidebooks and may have changed somewhat after Mr. Severs' death. The house is set up as period rooms, with furnishings, lighting, foodstuffs, and so on all appropriate to the time displayed. (As a nurse, I can tell you that the chamber pot was more than authentic; my non-nurse companions didn't notice, but I knew that there was nursing work to be done in that room.) The building is quite small and dark (I even used a flashlight in one room, which is probably a big no-no, but I have poor night vision and did not want to fall), but you can't get in without a reservation so it's not overcrowded. I did not experience the feeling that persons of the period had just left the rooms: I didn't see doors swishing shut or smell hot tea just brewed, as some guidebooks had suggested, but I did come away with a better sense of the period. Staff were very strict with the guests (talking in normal voices is pretty much prohibited because it interferes with the historical feeling) but warmed up to those who appeared to appreciate with they were trying hard to present. The website gives an accurate picture of the House and the presentation.

7 Thank Chaucerian