“If you are interested in history this is a hidden gem which takes you straight back there!”

Dennis Severs' House
Ranked #230 of 1,736 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Dennis Severs' House offers a glimpse into 18th-century (Georgian-era) life in England.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was an unexpected thrill from the moment we entered the front door stepping into various stages of London history - not for children who like to pick up or touch things as every detail has been meticulously placed -I loved this place!!!!

1  Thank 805KateP

Reviewed October 4, 2013

So loved this place brought the book on how Dennis came to live here and show case the unique belongings he found .
We were able to take as long as we wanted walking around,loved the cat which was real! So many other strange things to see and ponder on their experciences in a london lost in the past.

3  Thank Sedge2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is one of the coolest places I went to on my trip to London. When you step into the house and start looking around it really does feel like you've gone back to a completely different era. There are sounds of whispering and smells of fireplace ash and the attention to detail is astounding. Little things like cracked walnut shells next to the fireplace like someone had just been roasting and eating them, and half filled sherry glasses. Handwritten letters on desks and opened books left on tables. The beds are unmade and ruffled, like someone had just gotten up.

I toured the house on a Wednesday evening. I had to make a reservation and it cost a few pounds more than going during their regular opening hours, but I think the few extra pounds was absolutely worth it. The whole time I was in the house I only saw about four other people so it felt like I had the whole place to myself. I was able to take my time and look at everything at a leisurely pace. I think because there's so much to observe and take in, to really be able to enjoy the whole experience you will need the time and freedom of crowds to linger and move at your own pace.

I really loved it here and highly recommend a visit!

2  Thank Lee A
Reviewed September 21, 2013

So many museums show the trappings of royalty or the wealthy - how unique to find one dedicated to the life of the middle class from 200 years prior.

One can proceed at one's own pace, and it was not crowded at 3 PM on Sunday PM (note that open hours are extremely limited).

Don't wait to see this gem - the floor boards are not all tight, and the stairways are narrow as they would have been historically.

We especially enjoyed the Kitchen, but all the rooms had their unique sights, sounds, smells (but don't speak, touch or taste please).

2  Thank MyraNBob
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I visited this house 40 years ago and was guided through by Dennis, entranced by his story of the family who lived there and the ever-present reminders that their ghosts could still be in residence.
On a recent visit all had changed. You paid your money and were simply told to look around. All there is to see now is a collection of junk and a police force of attendants heavily enforcing a no-talking rule. One way of preventing negative comments, I suppose.
Our original visited lasted an hour. The recent one was over in 20 minutes and much of that was spent forcing one's way through the over crowed rooms.
The organiser's get out is that "you either get it or you don't. I didn't. But they do get the over-priced entrance fee
GF London