“Did I get it?”

Dennis Severs' House
Ranked #230 of 1,749 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Dennis Severs' House offers a glimpse into 18th-century (Georgian-era) life in England.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

An experience that will stay with you for a long time - people really did follow the silence rule when I was there and the environment does communicate. I was a little put off by the signs that kept asking me "do you get it?" but in fairness they did make me think a little harder and make some connections that I might not have made by just letting the experience wash over me. I would visit again.

1  Thank therese l

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I loved every minute of this house. At first i wasnt sure what to expect but then as I was on the tour I became overwhelmed with such emotion at how much Dennis spent on this wonderful creation all the time and effort he made surely did not go amiss!

1  Thank Mumblebumblebee
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited 18 Folgate st. and it was a truly special experience. If you have any interest in how people used to live in London it's a must see place. I am writing this to counter the silly negative reviews. If you want to have explained the history of London, with full printed notes and/or character figures standing around pretending to be people this is not the place for you.

But if you want to experience what it may have actually been like to live in the late 18th - to early 20th century - just for a fleeting moment - as you lose yourself in the moment come here. That's why the silence is important, why printed explanations would intrude on your experience and why the house is the way it is. Want something else - then go somewhere else.

Practical stuff - Liverpool St station is the tube. Sunday is a good day to go, its open noon - 4pm and you can visit Petticoat Lane Market for a couple of hours beforehand as its literally around the corner.

4  Thank btony2
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We visited 18 Folgate Street as it has been on my bucket list for some time. It is truly amazing - you really could imagine that the family was in the next room. Church bells rang, and horses trotted past outside. I have to say that, despite it being busy, all the visitors respected the silence rule, and were as transfixed as we were by this unique experience. Highly recommended and worth the special trip to London.

1  Thank Brillikins
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My son and I went on the "Silent Night" tour, held in April where I was happy to find that everyone was very respectful and silent. What an interesting concept, to not only have the rooms decorated in relation to a certain time period, but also to have the smells, sounds and even tastes recreated as well. What attention to detail!

There was a ladies boudoir where she had just been applying makeup, the cosy basement dwelling which smelled of home and love and sweets. My son especially enjoyed the "men's room" where there just had been some sort of "event" with overturned chairs and the smells of tobacco and alcohol. I was most intrigued by the poorer "upstairs" rooms where working class families "lived" up to 30 people/room. The diet here was that of "poor people" but more like what we would say is healthier today with vegetables and seafood from the Thames instead of the jam and bread eaten by the wealthier families below.

It was wonderful being able to discuss the thought behind each of these rooms, as well as their development by Mr. Severs, with the curator, Mick, after we viewed the home. Mr. Severs was a stickler for detail. He described Mr. Severs returning to the house when terminally ill and having to adjust one of the curtains( !). The house also continues to evolve even after Mr. Sever's death. For example, there is now a "William and Kate" cup in the Victorian room, obviously purchased after Mr. Sever's death. This is keeping with his love of royalty and continuing in the tradition of previous purchasing a "Charles and Diana" cup for the same room.

1  Thank sazoram