“Exactly As Expected”

Ranked #680 of 1,068 Hotels in London
United Kingdom
“Exactly As Expected”
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Booked for a business trip as within expense allowance despite the pre-Christmas price rises. Great location & warm, clean rooms.
Fast check-in. Our room (127 on the first floor) was a triple (double & a single) with ensuite shower room. Two big windows so traffic & pub noise until quite late - hardly excessive though.
Typical 'Comfort Inn' furniture, not a lot of space in the room but all doors could be opened fully etc & anyway we didn't have mountains of luggage.
Run-of-the-mill buffet continental breakfast - only drawback was a large number of guests who had no idea about queueing & just barged up to the counters.
Will use again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Divadarling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wales
Reviewed November 12, 2009

This hotel is spotlessly clean, we had a quad room that was spacious and had free internet access, phone, teamaking facilities, TV, shower and toilet, hairdryer and fridge. There were complimentary hot and cold drinks in the eating area round the clock, further free internet access in the lobby, and the breakfast was continental with lots of choice and very good. The staff were impeccably dressed, polite and charming yet friendly and very helpful. Extremely good value for money, I would return there any time, and would recommend it to anybody. Also perfect location, very central yet quiet.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
London, Ontario
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Stayed here from Oct. 26 - Nov. 2/09. Prepaid for Double Ensuite Room on Sept. 14 on line on their
site - no cancellation - no changes - no refunds - fine with us as we were going to visit
son & daughter-in-law and 8 month old granddaughter & they live in a 2 bedroom flat. This was so close to train station which was then only 10 minutes to flat. Arrived from Toronto at 10:30 pm and
night manager took us to our room on the 2nd floor at the far end - it was so small we could hardly
fit our 4 suitcases in the room. No place to hang our clothes - mattress was at least 20 years old!
I went back downstairs, showed him all the documentation I had printed guaranteeing our room - he said that he could understand my problem - but he could do nothing that night and that I would have to talk to the manager in the morning. My wife went back later and complained and he said that the right room would be ready in the morning. I talked to two English women who were staying there and they said that the same thing happened to them. They had prepaid for a larger room and were placed in a very small, dingy room and had to complain loudly to get the room changed. The next morning, I met with the manager and still had to really complain and he had a room ready within the hour and then I made him put through a refund for the previous night (for the difference between the crappy room and the room for which we had prepaid). Our next room
was spacious, clean and had a newer mattress. We had no problems after with anyone - the staff were fine - the maids are very friendly and polite. I think that the people running this hotel already have your money because you prepaid to get a good room and rate and then they rent your room for the night and give you the worst room for the night - figuring that you will be tired from your flight - and really don't mind if you yell at them and complain - it is all about the bottom line.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I booked this hotel through Choice Hotels because I get points for free stays. This has been the only time I have been disappointed in any Choice hotel. It was aweful. I take that back. It was mostly aweful. There were two saving graces. One, the location was fabulous, a five minute walk from Victoria station. Two, the service was good.

Now for the bad. We checked in. We went to our room on the basement floor. The first thing I noticed was the room was brightly painted in primary colors, red, yellow and blue. After being able to focus my eyes, I noticed how small the room was. Not a huge issue, I thought. We will only be sleeping here. Then we noticed the smell. It was a musty smell. My wife has a very sensitive nose so I went to the front desk to ask for a different room. They were quite accommodating. We received another room... even smaller than the one we just left. The room was so small that the bathroom door would not open all of the way, hitting the bed. When leaving the bathroom, one had to open the door, step to the side and shut the door to be able to get to the other side. The furniture looked like it was purchased at a second hand store. I really felt I was back in college in my dorm room. Also, the hallways were dark and narrow. I cannot say that the place was not clean but, honestly, I just got the feeling that cleanliness was not high on the list of priorities. The breakfast area reminded me of a break room at just about anyone's place of employment. It was very bland and not wholely kept up. The breakfast was alright, nothing to write home about.

As I said, there are reasons to stay here. The front desk was quite helpful. We had never been to London. The clerks were escpecially helpful on what routes to take from Victoria station. There is also a great pub right across the street, St George's Tavern. It was everything I expected from an English pub.

If and when we return to London, we will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Fundamentally I had no problems with this hotel - it is within two minutes walk of Victoria Station and no more than fifteen minutes walk to Westminster, so location-wise it is good.

The room was clean and spacious, with a safe, although the bed was too soft and sensitive sleepers might find the noise from the bathroom fans and through the floors and walls (mainly only doors slamming though) distracting.

Breakfast is basic - basically cereal and toast, with fruit juice and tea, and is tucked away in the basement of the rabbit warren.

Overall this is a decent hotel, with all of the modicums you would expect in Central London.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This was a pleasant surprise--I booked it with some trepidation having read varying reviews on TripAdvisor--knew to request a non-basement room! I was very pleasantly surprised by my stay--they need to get rid of the musty odour in reception to make your first impression better, but thankfully this didn't carry through to my room. I was on the ground floor, small room, but perfectly clean and comfortable. Lovely welcome from reception, and when I complained the room was (stiflingly!) too hot & I couldn't adjust the heat, a maintenance man arrived promptly to fix this. The room also had air-con--another pleasant surprise. The location is fantastic--so near the station (look for the exit marked "Passport Office"), literally a stone's throw. The continental breakfast was also a surprise--perfectly adequate and plentiful. And the power shower in the morning was another great surprise--I've had much poorer showers in better, more luxurious hotels. All in all, a great location, and great bargain. I wouldn't like to stay here for a long period--I think the small room size would begin to "close in", but for a night or two would highly recommend it. Take the TA tip though and ask for a room that's not in the basement!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kristen Morrison
Reviewed October 4, 2009

This place is a great location, decent size (for a triple) and at first glance appeared pretty clean. Don't attempt to use the extra pillows in the room or expect to come home with all your personal items. We opened the extra pillows only to find numerous hairs (in different colors) and make-up on them. I also moved my ipod from the vanity to inside my luggage (in my underwear and bra compartment) only to have it go missing later that day... So word of advice if you already have it booked, bring a lock to lock your luggage when you leave the room and if you haven't booked, DON'T CONSIDER IT.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends