“Good hotel - pricey and small rooms but respectable”

Comfort Inn London - Victoria
Ranked #689 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is your standard run of the mill hotel. It is good, there is really nothing wrong with it... but it is rather expensive for what you get. That's London for you, but this hotel especially it seemed. The room was uncomfortably small for the 3 people we had in it, and we were paying enough that I really didn't think it should be that small. That being said, it was a great location. A stone throw away from the underground and many good restaurants near by. Tip: if you are looking for gym facilities, the LA fitness near by offers free 5 day trial memberships (just pretend you live in london).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Mark,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

The room you stayed in is one of the smallest family rooms we offer but still with the same standard and facilities as all other rooms. We’ll make sure you have no regrets on your next trip. I hope it won't be too long until you visit us once again.

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Victoria Station, so very handy for trains/ underground for getting around or out of London. We flew into Gatwick and took the Gatwick express straight into Victoria station (the trains run every 15 minutes and the journey takes 30 minutes- very efficient). Definitely a good base to explore lots of areas of London from. Also within walking distance of Chelsea.

The reception is compact, but clean and nicely presented. The staff were very helpful. The room was very spacious by London standards. Quite standard in design, but clean. It also had a small kitchenette.

The only downside was the traffic noise during the night. I was in a room overlooking the front entrance and was disturbed from very early in the morning by buses and bin lorries. My colleagues who had rooms at the back of the building said it was very quiet, so probably worth asking for a room there.

Overall, I've probably stayed in better hotels in London, but as a more budget option and due to the great location I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Carolinexbx

Dear Guest,

Glad to know you’ll be visiting us again… Your preferences have been noted and we’ll make sure they are fulfilled on your next visit. Please keep us in the loop regarding your future trip so we can make it more special for you!!

Although we have double glazed windows but based on our guest reviews we are further looking into this matter. It hasn’t been highlighted by many guests but we would still like to find a permanent solution ASAP.

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Location is difficult to fault: walking distance of a major train/underground/coach station. Nearby shops and bars.

Unfortunately I found myself in room 100 which is in the basement. There was a window which could be opened approximately 20cm. Probably just as well as it faced out onto a substreet disused area.

Room appeared clean but smelled as if fresh air had not bothered the room in a long time. The electronic air freshener confirmed that there's a problem with nearby smell from the street above. Shame it made a noise like a swishing curtain every few minutes - I locked it into the bathroom so it wouldn't keep me awake.

By 6am I could hear the neighbours above rising. Paper-thin walls.
Once breakfast service starts in the breakfast area right next to the room at 7am you'll give up on sleeping. Then the showers from the floors above will begin and the waste water pipe directly outside the bedroom window will start running.

Guests to London will understand that hotel rooms are typically small. This room wasn't tiny and is typical of the hotel room you will get at this price. Be aware that this is a converted house so there are narrow corridors and each room is built around the old house structure.

As the hotel was full there was little to nothing the staff could do to remedy this problem. So when the response from hotel management comes in below my comments I ask: do you think it's acceptable that guests have a Russian roulette opportunity of getting this room and when the hotel is full what exactly can you do about it?

For a tourist - it's adequate. For a business traveller it's not great.

Room Tip: Avoid room 100 and 101. Make sure to request that you're not at basement/cellar/sub-street level...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here in May for one night and I had no problems with the room and the location was very convenient as I was transferring to my business hotel near by the following day. The room was on the small side but that's to be expected in London at this price. Room was clean, bed was comfy and they had a nice free breakfast in the morning. There are many restaurants in the area and walking distance to many London attractions, walked to Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc (long walks but common for a New Yorker). Also the hotel is directly across the street from Victoria Station which gives access to Underground and commuter trains, plus it's just a huge train station with many food and shopping options inside and surrounding.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor. Windows in the ground floor rooms open to a busy sidewalk.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a nice and detailed feedback.
We’re glad to know you have some good memories of the trip. Victoria is full of sights, pubs, shops and of course River Thames & Big Ben are not very far too. Idyllic for both business and leisure…

Please let us know prior to your next visit… We’d like to make it more special.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Third stay at this hotel revealed variability in rooms. Although last time the bathroom appeared to have been refreshed, the shower in this one was a bit mouldy all around the grouting. Breakfast is very basic but right near Victoria stn for getting around and lots if places to eat.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting us for the third time and taking the time to share your experience on this platform.
We have great surprises lined up for our loyal guests so please let me know in advance prior to making your booking arrangements in future. I’ll contact you through TripAdvisor private messaging system for more information on this.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Well I can't think of a less fitting name than Comfort for this hotel, because it ranks as one of the worst hotels I've stayed in. The rooms are drab and dirty and are what I'd imagine the sort of room the world's oldest profession is practiced in.

No double glazing yet fronting onto a busy street and adjacent to Victoria Station means if sleeping is something you need then don't stay here.

The breakfast room in the basement has a damp smell and the selection for breakfast is poor.

Reception is easily the worst customer service I've experienced. The receptionist kept playing on her computer as I was waiting to check in. Terrible.

All in all a shocking hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JMM5AM
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your feedback... Negative or positive we appreciate both as positive reviews encourage us to further perform well and negative feedback helps us to grow… But it’s sad to read you did not like a single aspect of the hotel. We rarely get a response like this from our guests. We would like to further discuss this issue through TripAdvisor private messaging system as we’d like to talk on this issue in more depth.

Thank you again for submitting your feedback and we hope to get in touch with you soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

First of all, if you are reading this and already booked your room, I'm going to tell you EXACTLY how to get here from Victoria Station. They should put these directions on the hotel website, hint hint. Victoria Station is HUGE and this will save you a lot of time. When you exit the Underground, look for the arrows pointing to Buses, Taxis, & National Rail. When you get "upstairs" into the main station, look for the black line on the floor that says "Taxi rank" and "passport office" (also, the toilets). Go that way. When you get to the street, go right. You will see a Doubletree Inn across the street. Walk to the top of the street til you see St. George Tavern. Comfort Inn is on the same side of the street as the tavern, to the left of it. Directly next door is a cafe called Treats. And there you are!

The hotel itself is perfectly average to all of the budget hotels I've stayed in other places in Europe. No better, no worse. Please do not expect North American accommodations. This seemed to be a common problem among the guests and I'm not sure why as most of them were European, but I digress. The walls are terribly thin. I was awakened every morning by the sound of shrieking children that sounded like they were IN my room, but hey, you shouldn't be sleeping in anyway. The breakfast was entirely adequate and complimentary. The location is GREAT, once you figure out exactly how to get there from Victoria, and you can walk all over Westminster from the hotel as well.

I want to especially point out the staff, who seemed a bit stressed but who were very pleasant and helpful to me. The room could have been slightly cleaner (everything seemed like it needed a good wiping-down) and the beds need replacing soon, but that's the only complaint I have that the staff has control over. Old buildings, thin walls. Get up early and go exploring.

Room Tip: Ask to be above the ground floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo