“Unsafe for lone female business travellers”

Comfort Inn London - Victoria
Ranked #678 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was booked into this hotel by my works hotel booking system so not my choice. Check in was a little disorganised but friendly enough. My room was on the first floor and although a double the room had been made up with an additional double sofa bed which took up most of the spare space. With no restaurant I had to go out on my own to get something to eat, which isn't great when you are travelling lone. My biggest problem with this hotel is security. In the night, whilst I was asleep someone (male) opened my hotel door with a electronic programmed key and if I had not had the chain across the door he would have got in! After this I had the most unnerving night ever spent in a hotel and I would not recommend the hotel to anyone. I have submitted a formal complaint to the manager and await an explanation why anyone was given a key to my room. I await an answer! This is not a safe environment for women alone. I will certainly not be staying there again in fact I couldn't wait to leave and I did so early without breakfast.

1  Thank LillyP66
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Liza,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us.

Our apologies that you were not at all satisfied with your stay. I would like to begin with saying the hotel is completely safe and secure and we have a 24 hour front desk staff that has guest’s security and safety as a top priority. We are located in a very safe area, a business park adjacent to several high security government buildings. Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding here for which I’d like to again apologise on the hotel’s behalf.

Coming to the main point I believe my manager had already contacted you and solved the issue by the time you posted this review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and are sorry that we were unable to meet your needs.
With best wishes,

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn London - Victoria

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is only 3 to 4 minutes walk from Victoria Station. I was originally booked for 4 nights from 28th July, 2012,whilst my wife was in nearby Kings College Hospital. When her admission date was posponed due to bed availability, my reservation was transferred to 7th August. The Manager, Asad, kindly wavered the cancellation fee. However, because of the Olympics, the price jumped from £70 a night, to £149 a night. I hope that I will be offered a better rate if I stay again. Receptionists, Yackza and Hassan were very kind and helpful to me during my stay and Yachza found me a nice quiet room on the top floor, at the back
The room was quite small but adequate for my needs and had A/C which came in useful when I got back from the Hospital in the evening, as there was a Heatwave at the time.
A small wardrobe and some drawers would be helpfull for keeping personal belongings in

Room Tip: Preferably at the back, high up, away from the main road, although this is not a particularly busy r...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear David,

Thank you very much for your comments acknowledging our staff. Your encouraging words have been forwarded to Yackza, Hassan and other staff members who are indeed a true asset of Comfort Inn Victoria. The dedicated team members constantly strive to make sure the hotel delivers the services you deserve.

We apologise for the inconvenience you faced regarding the space and drawers. Rooms are designed according to the space and size is unfortunately a common problem in London. Your comments help us to further improve our services and we will definitely consider your suggestion to bring few changes regarding this matter.

We will make sure you get a better rate subject to availability on your next stay and please don't leave it too long before you re-visit.

Take Care,

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The room very small but ok for a short stay, although there is no traffic noise there was a lot of noise from surrounding rooms.

The bathrooms are very small and contain shower, sink and toilet but no bath. TV was ok and had plenty of channels. View from window was air-con unit and soil pipe. Free wifi was provided and the signal was strong. The hotel is in an excellent central location, it's compact and functional, price was good for location. Not really suitable as a family hotel, suit short stay couple on city break or business trip only. The hotel does not have a licensed bar which was disappointing, however there is a good pub that does food across the road. Breakfast was a little dull as itwas a basic continental breakfast only with no sausage, bacon, fried egg or beans. In keeping with the rest of the hotel the dining room is very compact with little room for self service. There are very few parking spaces close to the hotel. Overall it is what it is: a 3 star hotel in the middle of the city next to Victoria station that is fit for purpose and not a family or luxury resort.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are away from the road and traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us and sharing your experience on your recent stay at the Comfort Inn Victoria, London.

The feedback indicates that your overall stay was fine but not good enough to make a trip again with family and friends. I would humbly like to put light on few things you've mentioned in your feedback just to make the things more clearer. To avoid any high or low expectation we have put up all the necessary information our guests should know regarding the hotel services on our website. As a three star bed and breakfast hotel it is not possible for us to provide few of the things mentioned in your feedback. But we are grateful to you for reviewing us and we will definitely consider your suggestions for our future development. We would like to apologise for anything which did not meet your expectation. Your feedback is very important to us. We go through our guest comments and reviews and try to rectify our mistakes in order to provide excellent customer services to each and every guest staying with us.

We are glad that you found the location convenient during your stay. We would like to add one thing regarding the rooms; we also have family rooms available on request having (max. Occupancy 4 people) for guests who wish to stay at our hotel with their families. The feedback we receive on family room types is mostly positive and I'm proud to say that our guests enjoy the facilities and comfort of those rooms.

I hope you will change your mind and will visit us again... looking forward to getting it right again with you soon.

Take care and best wishes,

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here for four nights on business, while my colleagues stayed at the Doubletree which is half a block down the road. I saved about 40 pounds a night compared to the Doubletree.

The Comfort Inn Victoria is adequate (2 stars), and I don't mean that as an insult. I would hesitate to recommend it to an American, as the hotel does not live up to American standards, but it is what it is: a clean room with a comfortable bed. Here are my notes:

Staff: The hotel staff ranged from taciturn to very friendly depending on who staffed the front desk. On my last day, the front desk was able to get me a car to Heathrow for 45 pounds...which I thought was a (relatively) good price. There is a locked closet in case you want to store baggage for a short time after your check out. I took advantage of this on my final day to walk to Buckingham Palace prior to leaving for the airport.

Restaurant/Bar: No restaurant or bar on premises. A free breakfast is offered every day, but I did not take advantage of it. One day I tried, but arrived late since the clock on my room temperature remote control (the only clock in the room) was 20 minutes slow. There is a fridge in the lobby where you can get soft drinks for 1 pound each.

Room: The room was clean but small...slightly larger than my queen-sized bed. There was no closet and no dresser for my clothing. There was a rack with 5 hangers. I had to request an ironing board and iron. I had to return it immediately after use since there was no extra space to store it. I cannot imagine two people using this room without tripping over themselves and their things. Definitely too small by American standards. The room did not have an alarm clock.

Bathroom: The bathroom was clean. Hot water was finicky. The shower provided hot water on half of the days I was there. The other days, the water came out luke warm. Again, not up to American standards.

Internet: Internet cost 15 pounds per day...I thought it was expensive.

Location: Very nice...15 minute walk to Buckingham Palace. Very close to restaurants and Apollo Victoria Theatre (Wicked) on Wilton Road. Very close to Victoria Station with access to trains, underground, and taxis. Victoria Station also has a mall with an American-style food court (with MacDonald's and KFC). Sainsbury grocery stores are available in the Victoria Station Mall and on Wilton Road. I purchased fruit and bottled water (relatively) cheaply there.

Restaurants: I thought the nearby St George's Pub was a borderline tourist trap. Gran Paradiso (Italian, Wilton Road) was fair to good. I had the flattened pork chop for dinner and a tart for dessert...both were delicious. My colleague had a sirloin steak that was ridiculously inadequate...it looked like something from a TV dinner...another example of an item not up to American standards. The wine list there was filled with Italian names that were interesting. We ordered a bottle of Liano (Sanviogese and Cabernet blend). I never had heard of the wine but thought it was superb. Dim T (Asian Fusion, Wilton Road) was good for soup noodles.

Prices: The part of London I was in was incredibly expensive. For example, I spent 10 pounds for a breakfast of pastry (1) and two cups of coffee Americano. London is one expensive place to go as a newbie. Maybe it gets chepaer if you know it...but somehow I suspect it's expensive for all.

Overall: The small size of my room accompanied by minor inconveniences make my experience at the hotel not up to American standards. However, if a larger room were available or if I was willing to make some compromises, the location is a major plus.

1  Thank SnowHillPond

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a detailed review on your visit with us.

Comfort Inn Victoria is perfectly located in terms of transportation as well as access to tourist attractions, shopping areas, markets, pubs and restaurants etc.

I readily agree with you regarding the room size but I'm glad you pointed out they are very clean and well appointed. We apologise for the inconvenience you faced. Some of the rooms are small which is not unusual in London. All the single and double beds are of standard European size and the double rooms for two people are larger in size and are perfectly appointed with facilities including tea / coffee, air conditioning, flat screen television and wardrobe for hanging the clothes.

Comfort Inn Victoria Hotel is a 3 Star guest accommodation having guest satisfaction as our first priority. We apologise if the front staff did not meet up to your expectation. However this is not our daily practice. I would like to assure you that we take pride in our customer service which is one of the departments we score highest marks in. This can be proved from our guest reviews on TripAdvisor. Our reception staff members are present 24/7 for any sort of guest queries and this message is conveyed to our guests on arrival. We would've appreciated if you kindly informed the reception at any time during your stay regarding whatever problem you faced in the room or outside the hotel. We provide London information and travel directions. I assure you the staff would've tried their very best to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I'm sure you would have liked our complimentary continental breakfast, it was worth trying once. I apologise if the timings did not match. We have a ‘wakeup call’ service at the reception as well as the TVs in the rooms have alarm set system integrated in them. There is a list of complimentary services the hotel provides (which is not available in many competitive hotels in London) apart from taxi bookings, free luggage storage, dental and shaving kits, extra tea/coffee facilities and much much more...

As you mentioned, London is a very expensive city and being located in the heart of this amazing location is a bonus for us as well as the guests. We would like to say a big ‘Thank You’ for staying with us and providing your valuable feedback. Your comments are taken under consideration which will definitely prove to be useful in order to improve our gray areas.

Not having a second chance will not be fair as we would like to show you the true colours of customer service at Comfort Inn Victoria.

Till then take care and I will say goodbye with a hope of seeing you again..
Warm wishes,

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Been there for 4 nights with my family. Everything was fine. I asked for a double + single bed but they ran out this room and put me on the bigger room with a double and a double futon.... I hate it.. I asked them for a bed not a sofa-bed.. they said I had to wait until next day but I was in holidays, so no time to spent making room changes.

Location is excellent . . . nothing bad... room view was to main street and was great, not noisy at all. Brekfast was nice, a little crowed it sometimes but no problem.

Stuff friendly but in 4 night, I had to ask 3 times for bed sheets for the sofa-bed and one day they did not make the room.

Price was great for being London and for a nice renewal room. Bathroom was OK, clean and not really small.

Room Tip: Get a street view room... are nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I needed a place to stay overnight near Victoria Station and found this place online. I didn't know what to expect, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. I was staying on a Sunday night, so it was a cheaper rate (they have a special for Sundays). Friendly service, clean room with tea making facilities and nice big ensuite shower room. The breakfast was great as well and if I ever need a place to stay in London overnight I will DEFINITELY be coming back here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at Comfort Inn London - Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us.

It‘s an absolute pleasure to learn that your stay was one to remember. Your compliments have been passed over to the team who is overwhelmed with your response. I thank you on behalf of everyone at Comfort Inn Victoria. Everyone is so happy to see the number of stars you have honoured us with.

Your review is a motivator for us to keep up the good service.
Kind regards,

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I've stayed in alot of hotels throughout Europe and the US but, thankfully, none have matched the Comfort Inn Victoria. While the location is great, the sinking feeling starts when you arrive and find that the concept of "service with a smile" isn't one with which the staff are familiar. At €470 for two nights I expected something special; special in a good way. The room was the size of a shoe box with a bathroom that was as small as a good sized shower. The view from the bedroom window was like something out of a Calcutta sweat shop. Add to this the open sewer covers in the tiny yard outside the window and the picture is almost complete.
There is no resteraunt (breakfast room only), no bar and broadband @ £15 p/day.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!