“Great Location, Lousy Breakfast”

Olympic House Hotel
Ranked #815 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Assen, The Netherlands
“Great Location, Lousy Breakfast”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Spent 9 days at this hotel during Xmas 2012 / New Year. PLUS: great location (100m from Paddington station / underground / shops, 100m from Hyde park), room temperature, bed, room cleanness. MINUS: breakfast (only SEVEN 4pp tables, often had to share with other guests!, bad choice of food/drinks, breakfast closes at 9 AM!), staff (utterly uninterested foreigners). Not sure if I would return, but I suppose most hotels at that location have the similar price/performance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank gemund

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
New york
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here. The room was small, but clean. The breakfast in the morning was not fancy, but enough to get one started on the day. We were on the third floor facing the road which had a good amount of traffic all night. We booked through a package, so don't know how much was actually spent on the room.
It was not far from Paddington station and easy to get anywhere in London.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors and away from the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank trevelord
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is very decent, although my single room was small and the only window looked out directly into the breakfast room.
Hint: I booked one room for a friend thru Hotels.com and mine directly on hotel website. Mine was cheaper, and I had no problem with an early checkout. Hotels.com would not refund my friends room when he had to cancel due to a medical problem. Breakfast was minimal but sufficient. Basement rooms were very noisy due to housekeeping staff, making it hard to sleep during day. It is very convenient to Paddington and services, and front desk staff were helpful. I would stay again but not in basement rooms.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kerry K
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The room was clean but the bathroom was so incredibly small. We were in the basement which made it feel even smaller.
The breakfast was terrible. I did not like the coffee, no fruit, the juice was tang I think.
They also never mentioned the surcharge for the internet which I felt was misleading.
Stay at the Euro by Kings Cross instead - much nicer!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Fordybrook717

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Me and my friends stayed at the Olympic house for 4 nights during the Olympic games. We booked it well in advance as we thought it would be difficult getting accommodations otherwise. We were wrong and as a result the price we had to pay was outrageous and there was no possibility to cancel or change the booking without loosing all the money. This setup was probably not unique for this hotel but it was annoying paying so much for so little.
The first impression was not very good. Not the friendliest group of people in the reception. They didn't exactly make you feel welcome. We were three guys sharing a room. The room was not very big but it was nice and clean. They also get a plus for having enough electrical outlets. I hate it when you have to unplug everything else in the room in order to charge your gadgets. My bed was very uncomfortable, but one of my friends was satisfied with his, so they cannot be 100% bad.
There were no free wifi but you could get online by paying 5 pounds for one hour or 10 for a day. I am still surprised every time I stay at a hotel and they want to charge for something so basic as Internet connectivity. It is very VERY annoying.
The room being small, with three guys in it, also got pretty warm. There was an air conditioner in the room but it was controlled by the reception. If you asked them to turn it on they did. Adjusting the temperature was also not possible to do from the room. I guess I could have asked the reception to change it for me but at that time I was just so tired of the ridiculousness of the situation that I gave up.
Breakfast is only served for 1.5 hours so avoid sleeping late, but on the other hand you might be better of missing it and having breakfast somewhere else. The breakfast serving at this hotel is a joke. They probably just put it together as an after thought and it is pretty obvious that they don't spend a penny more than they have to on this. Toast with butter and jam, eggs, cornflakes with milk, juice and coffee. The juice was so bland you could hardly tell it was orange. The coffee was so weak it might as well have been tea. I guess the British and Americans will love it. The slices of cheese looked like they had been there for a day or two. It was an insult to anyone that value the breakfast meal. It also made paying that exorbitant price hurt even more. I will avoid this hotel in the future and I recommend anyone else doing the same.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joel H
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The hotel was enough for the 4 days we spent in London. The room was little but clean. The shower a bit small but useful and the breakfast could have been better but it was not terrible. It lacked of fruits but coffee was acceptable...the only problem were those "7 days" croissants, horrible!
Other than that the stuff was ok.
The location is very good, near Paddinton station...and with London ´s metro anything is possible...
To resume dont expect much but won ´t get dissapointed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The location is terrific, a couple blocks from Paddington station, makes travel extremely easy and several good restaurants and pubs in the area, Hyde Park an easy walk. The room was small, to be expected, but kept clean and made up. We had no refrigerator. We had an air conditioner, but it had to be turned on by the front desk, for an extra fee, and it sounded like you paid by the hour? Our room overlooked a busy street and with window open was quite noisy. They have wireless, for a charge (by the half hour). You are charged for making local phone calls. The continental breakfast, included with room, was minimal and runs for 1.5 hours. Half the time we went the tables were full, so we ate elsewhere. Overall, the desk staff was rude. One woman was yelling on the phone when we checked in, the entire time. They acted as if we were imposing if we had questions or needed help. With no refrigerators in the room, my sister had to store her insulin and ice packs in the hotel refrigerator. Often they wouldn't make eye contact. Very unpleasant any time we dealt with them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends