“Disappointing”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Café in the Crypt is the ideal spot for affordable dining in central London. Locals and visitors from around the world return again and again to take in the striking atmosphere and enjoy the freshly prepared food. The Café is the perfect place to escape from a busy day out in the capital. Whether taking a break from the office or the tourist trail, the Café's location in the heart of Trafalgar Square makes it easy to find and its modern glass pavilion entrance is fully accessible. Once inside the Crypt there is a warm welcome awaiting you with beautiful 18th century architecture brick-vaulted ceilings, historic tombstones beneath your feet and delicious home-cooked food to feast your eyes and stomach on. Don't forget to check out the popular Wednesday night Jazz Nights. Our food is freshly prepared on-site using ingredients from local and national sustainable sources where possible and at great value. With hot and cold mains, cakes, sandwiches, salads and the perfect afternoon tea, there is something for everyone in this award-winning café.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Situated in the crypt of St Martin's in the Fields just over the road from Trafalgar square.
Interesting and unusual place to grab a meal away from the crowds.
This was not our first visit but possibly will be our last , at least for food.
Vegitable soup with little taste, vegitarian main with again little taste and over cooked vegitables, although the roast potatoes were quite nice!
And a beef sandwich containing very well hidden beef!
Sorry but on this occasion we left very dissatisfied and dissapointed.
Top tip, tap water is free, a bottle will cost you £2.45.

Date of visit: June 2019
StMartinsLondon, Manager at Cafe in the Crypt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear ChazJJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Cafe in the Crypt.

I am sorry to hear that our food wasn't up to its usual standard when you visited us, I will be sure to share your feedback with our chef team to see how we can make improvements going forward.

Best wishes,
Sarah, Café Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived footsore and in need of sustenance after a demonstration and were amply rewarded by their famous soup (delicious home made) and crumble with custard (a delight of nostalgia, comfort, warmth and tangy flavoures) plus the usual chat with strangers that so often happens in this happy atmosphere. On this occasion we dined across the room from a couple of Trump blimps!

1  Thank cabrieres
Reviewed June 7, 2019 via mobile

On the edge of trafalgar square this cafe provides good food at prices that are reasonable for London. We visit each time we come to London and our treat is the, soup and pudding special. Can't beat the puddings like hearty apple crumble with custard.

Reviewed June 7, 2019

I like to support the work of St Martins.I often attend the lunch time concerts and have made numerous purchases from the gift shop. But I am going to have to give up with their meals. Food is served warm rather than hot. I have asked the server how long the food has been out in the warmers for and each time I have been reassured the food has only just come out and it is hot. On the last three occasions the food was barely warm. The fish and chips today was 11 pounds 45 and not hot. Doesn’t help that the plates are cold. Think I will just stick to soup in future. This has always been hot.

Date of visit: June 2019
StMartinsLondon, Manager at Cafe in the Crypt, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Vincentvincents,

Thank you for your continued support of St Martin-in-the-Feilds.

I am sorry to hear that our food wasn't hot enough the past few times you have visited, I will share your review with our chef team to see how we can improve going forward.

I'm glad you will not be discouraged from coming back, We hope to see you again soon!

Thank you again for letting us know.

Reviewed June 7, 2019

Taking coffee in a crypt was a new experience, but we won't be doing it again. Coffee was over extracted and bitter and the apple turnover was mostly just pastry with a teaspoon of apple.

Dear johnspeedster,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Cafe in the Crypt! I'm glad you enjoyed our architecture during your visit.

I am sorry to hear that our food and coffee wasn't up to its usual standard, I will be sure to share your review in our next team meeting to see how we can make improvements going forward.

Best wishes,