“Charming venue let down by poor food”

St Martin-in-the-Fields Cafe in the Crypt
Ranked #606 of 22,375 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Soups, Cafe, European, British
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Café in the Crypt is the ideal spot for affordable dining in central London. Locals and visitors from around the world return again and again to take in the striking atmosphere and enjoy the freshly prepared food. The Café is the perfect place to escape from a busy day out in the capital. Whether taking a break from the office or the tourist trail, the Café's location in the heart of Trafalgar Square makes it easy to find and its modern glass pavilion entrance is fully accessible. Once inside the Crypt there is a warm welcome awaiting you with beautiful 18th century architecture brick-vaulted ceilings, historic tombstones beneath your feet and delicious home-cooked food to feast your eyes and stomach on. Don't forget to check out the popular Wednesday night Jazz Nights. Our food is freshly prepared on-site using ingredients from local and national sustainable sources where possible and at great value. With hot and cold mains, cakes, sandwiches, salads and the perfect afternoon tea, there is something for everyone in this award-winning café.
Sydney, Australia
“Charming venue let down by poor food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was here for Jazz in the Crypt. The space is very interesting and contributes to appreciation of the music. It would be intriguing if they put on more experimental work here, soundscapes and ambience and whatnot, but one must make do with passable jazz and classical.

We were accommodated with a smile and quick service when a friend joined the two of us from another table.

The food is the major let down here: we were led to believe that the dinner would be Indian, but the vegetarian option was a pasta bake which was exceedingly average. Why they couldn't make the vegetarian option indian as well is something we don't understand.

The dessert custard has clearly had a powdered history. Not enjoyable at all.

The house white wine was truly awful: we decided they'd must have poured it from a cheap cask marked "sweet fruity white". Stick with the beers.

Despite that, the feeling of appreciating music in a space hundreds of years old, at a reasonable price, made the experience worthwhile.

• Visited May 2013

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orpington, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea with friends after visiting the nearby National Gallery 27 April”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

12 of us dropped in for tea and chat about 3.30pm. Not too busy and we were able to get a big rectangular table we could pull a few extra chairs round to seat us all; and we did not have to queue very long to get our tea and slices of cake.

I opted for a slice of victoria sandwich cake for £3.40 (tea is £1.60 so maybe this is pricing policy to speed up time at the tills if the combination costs a fiver).

The cake was disappointing. The slice was modest, the cake dry and the filling was only cream - no jam or fruit, a bit tasteless therefore. As I type this I am wondering why I did not complain or ask for a refund at the time.

On the plus side, it was nice to have a table which seated all of us; and we stayed chatting for some time after we'd finished, til about 5.15pm; there was no pressure to leave once we'd finished eating / drinking.

I would visit again but would be more careful what I selected.

2 Thank StellaCaroline
Bournemouth
“Lovely location for a rest and refreshments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I only had a coffee today, I wish I'd been eating as the food smelt divine. It is always busy in this cafe but people are quite happy to share their table - if you ask them! It's worth mentioning that the toilets here are spotlessly clean. They are happy for you to visit just to use the facilities, but please remember to leave a donation in the box.

Rochester, NY
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I highly recommend this very reasonably priced cafe in the super cool crypt of St. Martin in the Fields Church for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian alike. My companion had a lovely veggie curry. My pork was a bit dry but the mustard sauce and accompanying roasted vegetables delicious. The salad was very "interesting" and, I suppose, perhaps, typically English (Pickled red cabbage and pearl onions, chick peas, chutney and guacamole with cheese). Dessert was GREAT. I'm not sure what the previous reviewer was eating, but the cobbler was full of tart juicy thick berry filling and was accompanied by piping hot vanilla custard-YUM. I had the creme brule which was also quite good. Plenty of tables, seating was not a problem.

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Such a pity”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Lovely food in a friendly atmosphere and very good value for central London. But the plates were cold and by the time we had queued to pay, the food also. I hope they can sort this problem soon as it spoiled our meal.