“Brilliant food”

Ranked #507 of 23,993 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, Singaporean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: We've created a menu that's rich in authentic flavours and ingredients, offering a real taste of Pan-Asian cooking with dishes from Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have for the past couple of years stayed in this part of London in January and have eaten out in a few of the local restaurants. Thai food being a favourite of mine and my wifes we saw the advert for Umami in the lift at Glouscester Road tube station and decided to give it ago. We booked a table being Friday night but it was not necessary as there were plenty of tables available. Having visited many oriental restuarants on our first visit we also try the set menu as normally very good value and tends to show case the best dishes. There were two set menus and we plumped for the more expensive which was the "Asian Journey". Seemed a bit expensive at £37 per head but this is London. The waiter was very attentive and was spot on with his wine recommendation which at £25 a bottle was very well priced. The starter included Lychees stuffed with chicken in batter on a scallop "amazing", spiced chicken and Gado Gado (indonesian salad in peanut sauce) my wife particulary enjoyed this. The main course included Sea bass in soy sauce (to die for), an amazing Prawns in coconut and lamb curry. All dishes were really excellent with just the right amount of heat where necessary. The only downside was the dessert which was sticky rice with Mango. The Mango was delicious but the sticky rice was not for us however the portion sizes were ample and we did not really need the dessert any way. The restaurant has only been open for four and half months and I think that the reviewer who only gave this one star must have hit a day when the teething problems of a new restaurant gave a false impression. In fact we enjoyed the food so much we went back the next night. You cannot beat that for a recommendation. A tip if you would like the Chicken Satay as a starter to share with other starters do not order the "sharing portion" unless you have very big appetites. The staff were brilliant as well. Just to sum up my wife and I loved it!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Very nice and calm atmosphere, very good, prompt and distinctive service. We had the taste menu and it was a really good choice we drank local asian beers which also was a good option.

UmamiLondon, Manager at Umami, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Dalaroe,

Thank you for your response and delighted that you had a great dinner at our Umami Restaurant. We are now looking into our 2013 promotions and hope to welcome you back. Visit our Umami London website for the latest offers.

Kind regards,

Joost de Kruiff
Umami Restaurant Team

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in the hotel Crowne Plaza Kensington, we arrived on Boxing Day and as it was pouring raining outside we decided to try this restaurant after having a look at their Internet website from my hotel room. When arrived there was no a la carte menu just an A4 sheet with very few choice. I started with the only French red wine in their menu but this was out of stock and they tried to sell to me others wine not listed what I have declined. Sea Bass was 13GBP for a fillet half sea bass and need to pay portion of rice, my wife who is Thai mentioned to the waitress that the tofu in another meal was tasted weird and smelly the waitress recognised we were not the first one to say that in the week and did not count this meal, for dessert only things available was ice cream unfortunately no more vanilla or strawberry for my daughter at the end we paid around 75GBP and fell still hungry for 2 starters duck salad and chicken satay 3 meals whose 2 sea bass 1 green curry 2 portion of rice and for drink 2 beers and 1 apple juice I am not counted the smelly tofu they removed from the bill and the coconut ice cream my daughter did not eat. The day after we went in China town close to Keicester square and for 40GBP we have eaten good Asian food. I will Not recommend this restaurant, the fact it was Boxing Day and some staff not there due to transport and a la carte menu unavailable they should better close the restaurant this day than offering a more than reduced A4 list of meal with nothing really for kid. Regarding complaint already made about tofu they said they will change their supplier however this meal should have been removed from the menu as the chef was aware of this by different customer instead to finish to sell of their stock they shoul Bon this tofu definitely. Definitively I will Bot return there and will Bot recommend this restaurant for people staying in Crowned Plaza Hotel Kensington or nearby hotels.

2  Thank CThierryMK
UmamiLondon, Manager at Umami, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear CThierryMK,

Thank you for your feedback and we have looked into the matter of your experience and our special offering during the festive season. Many restaurant offer a different menu during the Christmas Season due to delivery times and freshness of the product and therefore it should not jeopardise the quality.
As we have numerous positive comments over this period, it saddens us to read your review on our tripadvisor page. Please contact us directly and we are happy to invite you back to show you what Umami Service and food is really about.

Hope we are able to restore your confidence.

Kind regards,

Joost de Kruiff
Umami Restaurant Team

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The restaurant is set in a Crown Plaza lobby, so design is kinda blah..I had two courses, a very good chicken-coconut cream soup with punchy lime and lemongrass, and an OK lamb green curry.
The steamed rice they served was overcooked, watery and disgusting.
Very friendly service

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a second time and chose the Dinner Bed and Breakfast rate, and had dinner in the Umami Restaurant. Whilst the choice was a little limited, I had Chicken Toast, followed by Malay Chicken Curry with steamed rice. Both were excellent and tasty and I followed this with Green Tea and Stem Ginger ice cream, which was also very pleasant and finished off the meal perfectly.
The waitress was very attentive and efficient, delivering newspapers and magazines and checking that all was well, all in all a good choice.