“Rediscovering London with Jonnie”
Review of Bowl Of Chalk

Bowl Of Chalk
Ranked #17 of 692 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun, informal and factoid packed 'pay what you want' walking tours of London. Whether you're a hardened Londoner or just stepped off the plane, you will learn oodles of things about London that you didn't know you didn't know, in guaranteed small groups. Booking via website.
London, United Kingdom
“Rediscovering London with Jonnie”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I've been living in East London for 6 years and I decided to go on the Bowl Of Chalk tour with a friend, because she's quite interested in history. So I didn't really know what to expect, but I was so surprised! I thought it was going to be a tourist thing, but you know what? Jonnie managed to make me rediscover the area I thought I knew. How? Well he's just so passionate about the history of the place! But not just one history you see? He can happily jump from one subject to the next depending on who he is talking to. Street art, music, history, architecture, economics. So you get the feeling that the walk is tailored for you, which is a really nice touch. On top of that, he just has stories pouring out of every pore! The walk lasts two hours or so, and it feels like you're only just scraping the top of his knowledge. That day, we were walking with people who had just arrived from Washington and they loved it. And then there was us and we loved it too. So there you go, it looks like it's a brilliant experience for everyone. I'm actually thinking about doing one of his other walks, but in central london this time. Oh and the best thing is that you pay what you want, so if you don't like it, well, you can just leave it at that. But I seriously doubt you won't enjoy it.

Visited February 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Discovering new parts of London on fun, informal walking tours”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I discovered Bowl of Chalk by chance online while looking for new London walking tours. I've since been on two of Jonnie's tours and throughly recommend them. The first one was the 'My Neck of the Woods' on a Sunday around Jonnie's neighbourhood in East London. We explored Old Street, Hoxton and Columbia Road. He's an entertaining and personable guide, imparting lots of interesting, fun facts and stories on the area's history and street art.

The second walk I took was the Saturday tour from St. Paul's to Monument taking in along the way Shakespeare's Globe, Borough Market and the lovely St Dunstan in the East Church Garden (a site I never knew existed until doing the tour). It was as equally enjoyable as the East London walk.

Do check the walks out, even if you're a London local or just visiting the city, there'll be lots of places and stories to discover.

Visited March 2012
San Francisco, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Top-notch pay-what-you-want walking tours”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Jonnie's tour of the East End has something for everyone: art, history, pop culture, scenery, shopping... And he's an engaging guide with an endless well of stories.

2 Thank AEC in SF
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I didn't know one man could store so many pearls of wisdom”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Jonnie is a man with an incredibly amount of interesting knowledge stored up there in his brain...he'll share all sorts of facts and stories about all the places you pass - and each one I thought 'wow, that's really interesting, i must remember that'...but sadly i think i've forgotten them all already. I've lived in london for years, and this three hour tour from St. Pauls to Momument was a great way to learn more about the city, and good fun too. I thoroughly recommend it, whether you are a tourist or whether you've lived here for years and years.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank zoe h
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Relaxed, fun and fascinating”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Met in a central and easy to find location and felt immediately relaxed with Johnnie's informal and friendly manner. The pace was spot on, with everybody able to ask questions and linger at places of interest for as long as we needed. There was a constant stream of interesting facts along the way and there was never a dull moment. We took cameras and were able to get some great shots and see things in London we never knew existed. A handy stop in Borough market enabled us to feed ourselves before continuing and the whole tour seemed to fly by, without being tiring. I recommend these tours to tourists and Londoners, like me!

Visited January 2012