“Worth the stay!”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #47 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed as a couple for 3 nights. What a lovely hotel with excellent everything. The staff are friendly and courteous, the hotel is tastefully decorated and the restaurant great. We purchased Oyster Travel Cards and found that the South Kensington station very conveniently connects to all the lines and major attractions. You can also take the train directly to Heathrow, a 45 minute journey.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Room was a great size for a couple if you like a little space!
2  Thank Shaz959
There are newer reviews for The Ampersand Hotel

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were attracted to The Ampersand through the brilliant Mr & Mrs Smith travel website, and were pleased to find the hotel exactly as it was described. This is a true gem, ideally located in beautiful South Kensington, close to musea, parks, shops and pubs, beautifully decorated and supremely comfortable. Best of all is the ever friendly staff who really make you feel like home, and do all their best to treat you like old friends. Contrary to other 5 star hotels, prices for food and drinks are very acceptable, and there's even a free minibar. We stayed for 3 nights and were very sorry to leave. This is definitely a place where we will come back!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, avoid ground floor rooms as you will hear the rumble of the tube pass...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bart J
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and it met our expectaions, a great place to stay.

the location is excellent immediately in front of Sth Kensington tube station, so if arriving in London at Heathrow a direct train ride in. The building is very well renovated and the quality of the furnishings and service is very high. The staff were warm and friendly and I would certainly stay again.

One point to note as commented on by others is that between about 5am to midnight you can hear or rather feel the passing underground trains. Its not a big issue, but may be an issue for light sleepers. We were on the fourth floor and it wasn't a problem.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe studio and found it a very large (for London) comfortable room.
1  Thank Aztec007
Reviewed July 11, 2013

A refreshing change from the 'cookie cutter' hotels that dominate much of this area of London. The public areas are bright and interestingly decorated, taking inspiration from the various nearby museums. The room was a little compact but in central London and I guess that's the norm. My only other slightly negative observation was the discernible rumble of the underground trains passing beneath the building at regular intervals and the noise from adjoining rooms, thin walls. Overall though a great hotel in a good location

1  Thank BLAJ
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was one of the highlights and perfect ending to my summer vacation! Like my title says - u really can't go wrong by staying here. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT, its worth every penny. I loved this hotel, its got everything u might want - the English atmosphere you'd want to feel in London yet with a chic retro-ish twist, terrific friendly service, perfect location. The upside of it being a boutique hotel is its got its own uniqueness which u won't find staying anywhere else in London - and also its got the luxury as one would expect (but don't always see) staying in a 5 star hotel. I loved it...loved loved loved it. Can't say enough great things about this place...if ur trying to find a hotel to stay at THIS IS IT!!
Upon arrival the lady at the reception greeted us warmly & explained whats around and things like that, then gave us our key. Daniel - who's also so sweet & helpful, showed us to our room & explained a few things. He also gave us tips on where to watch the final champions league game. The room we stayed at was the Deluxe Room - it was fabulous. When I saw it I was overjoyed. Its a really beautiful spacious room, so warm & cozy, it has the most comfortable bed ever, its actually hard to leave in the morning. There are tea/coffee making facilities available, with home-made type delicious daily cookies. Their mini-bar is complimentary (water, sparkling water, juices, milk, coke/diet coke), and whenever something runs out u can just ask for more (which u won't actually need). I love those added things, they really make u want to come back to a certain place. The bathroom is also great, very spacious and has everything u need. The robes are so fluffy & even their slippers are too comfy. I was a little worried when I looked out the window & saw the view to be right next to a primary school, but trust me u can't hear a thing. It's not the least bit annoying, u can't even tell unless u look outside & for me it was actually a happy thought watching the kids outside. Rooms get cleaned twice a day. The free hotel Wifi is really good. The people at the reception are wonderful, so friendly and they do their best to help u out. Everyone's just super, always greeting u with a wonderful smile. Because it was mine & my husband's 3rd wedding anniversary they sent us a complimentary small box with the yummiest biscuits - so scrumptious. It was such a sweet gesture of them, I was even more ecstatic then & just felt like I'd already got my money's worth - these small details really do matter. I would recommend booking directly through the hotel, use the 3 for 2 nights offer. Its really really good & u save a lot if u want to stay here, we stayed for 7 nights (had to pay a lot more for the 1 extra) - but like I said its worth it. We didn't get breakfast included in our rate, i'm sure theirs is tasty but if u like trying out different places then this is the perfect location, there are so many delicious places around u can go to for breakfast or anytime actually.
The tube is literally just down the road, like less than 2 mins walk u just have to cross the side road. Around the tube there are loads of quick eats, really good breakfast places, many restaurants. There's a really delicious bakery/cake shop. There's also the usual Starbucks & Pret A Manger across the street from the tube station.
One of the hotel staff members - I can't remember what his name was, maybe Thomas, was so helpful in trying to get us last minute tickets to the lion king musical. All in all it was a perfect stay - I will definitely be back...hopefully soon (can't wait to come back)! I'm already recommending it to friends who might be going soon.

Room Tip: Book using the 3 for 2 nights offer! Totally worth it...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AreejDaoud
Reviewed July 9, 2013

From the perspective of this frequent business traveler, this was one of the best hotel experiences I've had in a very long time. The location was perfect. The rooms were small but comfortable (with a complimentary minibar - who gives you a complimentary minibar???). The staff were to a person pleasant, helpful, friendly and engaging (and seemed genuinely interested in every traveler and their trip).

The value was incredible. London can be so expensive and this was so reasonable. I would have expected a price twice as much as we paid.

The neighborhood is great. Lots of food choices very closeby as is the Underground (South Kensington station, a direct connection to Heathrow and Picadilly Circus). The hop on/hop off bus tour stops outside the door.

I cannot think in one thing I would change about it. Perfect!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was really nice, it is located next to the south Kensington tube, and for those who haven't been to London this is a very pretty neighborhood. It also has a bus stop in the corner where you can go to and from Piccadilly at day or night.

The people who attended us where great. The breakfast is good as well.

We couldn't use the game room because the room was occupied due to some external events :(

The room was small but very nice, bed was big, the bathroom had independent sound so you could hear the tv from inside, the bathroom floor had heat so it was a warm touch, the decoration is very nice.

Overall great choice