I searched diligently for many hours on the Internet for the perfect place to stay in London. We were looking specifically for a very nice boutique hotel in a good area with space for my mom and I, for ten nights, at a reasonable price. We found it in the Ampersand. This hotel opened last August and has been winning awards ever since (recently voted one of the 2012 best new hotels in the world by Conde Nast Traveler). It deserves all commendations; this is an excellent hotel. Here are ten reasons why:
10. A perfect location just around the corner from the South Kensington tube station, near restaurants and within an easy 5 minute walk to some of the best museums in London, as well as to a large selection of Barclay Bikes that would be easy to ride to Buckingham Palace.
9.Online bookings and a strong social media presence on Twitter and Facebook, with a real person providing quick responses to questions and comments.
8.The drawing room. Just wait till you see it.
7.Complimentary upgrades to your room in some cases.
6.Very comfortable beds with luxurious long pillows and duvets.
5.Spotlessly clean bathrooms and excellent professional housekeeping during your stay.
4.Free wifi in the rooms with no passwords needed and a strong signal.
3 and a half. Chocolates and a handwritten note of welcome on our first evening.
3. Extraordinarily pleasant and helpful front desk staff.
2. Unique and whimsical decor throughout all rooms, a beautiful front lobby and sitting areas.
1. A little rubber ducky, with the Ampersand logos on it, in the bathroom that you are welcome to take home with you after your stay.
I cannot think of anything they could improve upon. They arranged a very nice car service to Heathrow for us, which would have been a similar price for taking a taxi to Paddington station and then the Heathrow Express. Umbrellas in the rooms and at the front door were appreciated.
Lovely hotel, I very highly recommend it, and I will absolutely return here during my next stay. Feel free to contact me through Tripadvisor if you have any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With some of the most stylish hotel rooms in Kensington, The Ampersand is a privately-owned luxury London hotel that combines contemporary excellence in design, service, food and technology in an 1888 building at the capital's heart. We have been inspired by those great Victorian values of discovery and wonder - and given them a modern, whimsical twist. The result: a cosmopolitan, 111-room luxury boutique hotel, bar, restaurant and drawing rooms, delivering 21st-century warmth, humour and total comfort.The Ampersand Hotel is situated just a minute's walk from South Kensington tube station, and is well connected to Heathrow airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Ampersand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ampersand Hotel London, England