“As good as it gets. Great value, perfect location, top notch staff”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #47 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stop browsing, start booking.

I spend 30-50 nights/year in hotels, and can confidently say that The Ampersand is one of the best hotels I've ever experienced.

I used to live in Kensington (lucky me) and was looking to stay in the area on a recent business trip to London. Ampersand was within my budget (about $250 over the weekend) and stylish. I like the staff's vest (or waistcoat as the Brits call them), tie and jeans look so much that I may adopt it as my own personal style.

Only complaint would be the lack of clothing storage space, but I had a small (ie: cheap) room and I'm guessing the bigger rooms might have more space. This issue is also fairly commonplace in London.

Location is perfect for exploring the museums, Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall, Kensington and Chelsea, as well as being reasonably close to Westminster and Notting Hill as well.

London's best Spanish restaurant, Casa Brindisa, is right around the corner. Make reservations. There are unfortunately no truly good pubs in the immediate area (the Hoop & Toy is garbage), but the Anglesea Arms is a 10 minute walk away and is as Kensington as it gets. For another nice walk try to seek out Kynance Mews, which might be the most charming little street in London.

Room Tip: If you don't need space, get the cheap rooms. If you do need space, don't get the cheap room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank DoctorLogistics

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My mother, sister and I stayed at the Ampersand Hotel in South Kensington in February. We loved it!! The Hotel is in a great location,with gorgeous cafes, eateries,and museums at your feet. The Ampersand also has a gorgeous tea room and restaurant within the hotel .

The hotel is lovely, beautiful interiors and fabulous staff who were very helpful! I would definitely recommend staying at this place for anyone who likes a little luxury at an affordable price.

I will definitely be back there each time I'm in London !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dimi J
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went for the "stay two nights and get the third free" offer. Considering how expensive London is, it was a very good deal as hotel is new, staff helpful and friendly, mattresses relatively firm (have real problems with soft mattresses but even in 5 star hotels in London, mattresses tend to be too soft...not worth paying a small fortune for a bad back the next morning!), delicious breakfast in the restaurant in the basement (fresh organic items) and a tea lounge to die for at reception level. Rooms have different themes and different configurations. My room was almost perfect except for the extreme tiny closet and lack of more lighting as curtains and headboard were of an amazing deep navy velour. I loved the walk in shower instead of the customary shower and bath unit commonly found in most hotels in London. Bathroom amenities were top notch and generously replaced. Difficult to resist the blue rubber ducks...home now with me! Decor and details definitely worth a mention (cheerful, whimsy and a good eye for smart colour schemes). Hope it stays as clean and well maintained. One area of improvement would be a porter stationed at the entrance to help guests with their luggages...some steps to negotiate if luggage heavy. Neighbourhood comes with a tube station right next door and a short walk to Fulham Rd. (buzzing with shops and restaurants). If Ampersand's rates remain as friendly and maintenance is not compromised, guests will want to go back. I would!

Room Tip: Rooms likely all be different, each must come with pluses and minuses. Be adventurous!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ana W
Reviewed March 19, 2013

It seems I am in London frequently, this time staying at the Ampersand Hotel for 4 nights. The hotel was chosen with its status and the amenities in mind.

Firstly, a very pleasant hotel, the room I chose (Deluxe Studio Room) was excellent, well furnished and tastefully decorated - with ample space and functional areas. It seems the room i was allocated had a bath in the room - very elegant and I am sure if not a business trip then a 'modern' and excellent feature.
The bathroom, cupboard spaces were very good and there was a Nespresso machine (very much to my liking) and free soft drinks.

I did not take breakfast as early to work, but i did eat in the Apero restaurant a couple of time - both choices 'lamb' and 'pork' dishes were very good and a good portion size. Room service menu was very limited but you could use Apero (during restaurant opening times)

Front desk and concierge were very efficient, they were courteous and helpful.
I used the internal laundry service - functional and 24hour turn around - though I did struggle with language barrier.

The surrounding area has a number of restaurants and a couple of bars, it is literally 100 yards from South Kensington tube entrance and on a relatively quite road - room noise was minimal from the road.

Free wifi was a welcome, though I did find the service a little slow for work purposes

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would consider another business stay at the hotel. I would also consider the hotel as a tourist and it is very close to a number of excellent museums and attractions.

I will book again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2013

After spending 2 nights at The Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge we tried out the Ampersand in South Kensington for one night. We were happy to get an upgrade to a suite - lovely furnished 2 rooms (with balcony) with a small kitchen including nespresso coffee maker. Nice bathroom with a lot of amenities (liked the little ducks!). We enjoyed a good continental breakfast in the drawing room. Perfect atmosphere. The service is very friendly and professionell (much better than in the Berkeley). In the evening we decided to have dinner in the Apero- which was one of our best ideas. Being fans of good and high quality food we were more than surprised. We loved it! Especially the straciatella cheese with chilli tomato sauce. We will come again.

Room Tip: Take a suite
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

If you are lucky you will get a nice room with sofa, armchair and some space.
If you are unlycky you will get a minimal duobleroom with no furniture and the TV on the wall.
Dont expect to have the room displayed on the web. I didnt.
I know rooms are small in London but for this price and a doubleroom I expect more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank George S
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our visit to the Ampersand, and could't fault anything about this hotel! The highlights for me were: the best martini I've ever had, in the Apero bar; the heated bathroom floor; and our room service breakfast (good value and delicious). However, it was the excellent and friendly customer service that really made our stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple