“Average 3 stars hotel”
Review of The Craven Hotel

The Craven Hotel
Ranked #369 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It was not the best low stars hotel. The room was very small and a bit cold. The walls are thin I heard all from the neighbors. The breakfast was good, typical english breakfast. Underground station is 5 mins by walk.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marton T
There are newer reviews for The Craven Hotel

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Location was good but not great. The store next door was really nice with better offer and prices than Tesco. The pet shop on the street was also great.
In Romania this would be considered a less than a star hotel! This is anything but a 3 stars. Actually this shouldn't even be considered a hotel at all, it's an improvisation. We had a room at the 2nd floor (room 202) and we had to climb our luggage on some tight stairs with a dirty carpet on them. There was no elevator at all. The room was tiny, we haven't had any place to put our clothes, we had to leave them on our luggage. The window was really thin and just above our heads so we could feel the cold and we could hear all the noise of the street (even if it is not a busy one). I could even hear the steps of the hills like if the window was opened. At 5-6 in the morning the garbage machine woke me up. And I am not the kind of person that hears everything while sleeping. At home I don't even hear the alarm clock and I don't wake up when my dog barks. But here everything was really strange, I felt like sleeping outside! The second and the biggest problem: I am not a thin person but my partner is and still none of us could get inside the shower cabin. The bathroom was built instead of a closet. And I'm not joking, it had the dimensions of a closet in the wall. The sink was in front of the shower cabin and in front of the bathroom door and in order to wash our hands we had to open the door! And since the sink occupied 3/4 of the shower cabin entrance, there was only one palm(!!!) left to get inside. If your bottom is larger than that you won't have any chance to take a shower! I even tried to take pictures but they are not really relevant, you cannot see the real situation. Fortunately, we've slept there only one night, from the second one we had a booking at another hotel just 2 streets away for the rest of our vacation, which was really great! I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

P.S. I am 100% sure that I've posted this review (and pictures) last December but it wasn't accepted on the page. Why is that? Do you loose business when you accept bad reviews, TripAdvisor???

Room Tip: Don't get a room here!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark0brien, General Manager at The Craven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you for posting you review of our hotel.
I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your 1 night stay with us as we strive to make sure all our guests leave rested and ready to explore the city. Our hotel doesn’t have an elevator due to planning restraints put upon us by the local authority. The hotel is in two Victorian town houses and they have a preservation order on them. We do not or have ever advertised the building as having an elevator. The stair carpets were replaced 7 months ago and are certainly not dirty. Most of the rooms in the hotel are compact but his is usual in town house hotels. I am sorry you are a light sleeper. When you stay in a city as large as London you have to expect some back ground noise 24 hours a day. Unfortunately I cannot dictate when the garbage truck collects the refuse from the street outside the building.
The en-suite bathrooms in this hotel are compact but they are spotlessly clean and more than fit for purpose.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has good location, helpful staff and included breakfast which were substantive. but the facilities are quite average and there is no lift/ elevator. It also feels claustrophobic. The rate is reasonable considering the amenities and location.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you ‘BritInColumbia’ for posting a review of our hotel.
I am sorry to read that you didn’t find the bed comfortable. Some of the beds are old and we inherited them when we bought the hotel 12 months ago. I have been replacing the beds on a rolling schedule and have nearly replaced all of them. It is unfortunate that you were assigned a room with an old bed. Did you ask the receptionist to change your room?
Due to planning restrictions we are not allowed to install a lift in the hotel. We are however in discussion with Westminster City Council about the possibility of installing a lift in the future. As with most things which involve local authority it will take but we are pushing ahead with it.
Our breakfast room is compact and yes sometimes guests have to wait for a table. This is also something we have been looking at and hope to remedy the situation with some careful remodelling in 2014.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I am a camper, so I can sleep just about anywhere. The mattress at the Craven Hotel pushed my back to the limits - my Christmas turkey will have more stuffing!
Another downside to the hotel - it has not lift. I was on the top floor, and had to carry two heavy suitcases up four flights of narrow stairs. That made up for the hotel not having a gym.
The dining room was in the basement and was tiny. Guests were queuing up for breakfast. I couldn't grumble about the staple English fry-up.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you ‘BritInColumbia’ for posting a review of our hotel.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location is nice enough and I could even deal with all the stairs to the room. Alas whatever redeeming features this hotel might have in location it is seriously let down by the gentleman who sits at the front desk. Supposedly some kind of manager, I found him to be unhelpful, rude, dismissive and treated me with content with a very basic request. I almost can't believe that someone like him can work in the service industry.

If you are looking for an enjoyable stay then either avoid the guy at the front desk, or avoid the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you ‘GIBBhh’ for writing a review of our hotel.
I am sorry to read that you found a member of my team to be less than helpful during your stay. I take your comments very seriously and will be interviewing the staff. I expect all my staff to be courteous, professional and helpful, as we do work in the hospitality industry.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

It starts by being given a 4th floor room and there is no lift only the narrowest of stairs.

Then there is this racket in the room which I realise is the fan in the on-suite box/shower facility. When you turn on the light the noisy fan starts and when you turn off the light the fan runs for a further 20 minutes - very annoying.

The room was small but even so they managed to avoid putting in much furniture (I repeat this is 3 star...) being a very small room it was really hot so I opened a window and went to bed.

During the night I was woken in water falling on my face which was coming through the window, a window only open by 3 inches.

Morning, no hot water and reception said it was because they had a lot of guests... so tough.

Went to breakfast at 7.45am and there was no table so walked the 4 floors back to my room and came down at 8.40 and still no room (it was only lightly bigger than my boxy room) so I had breakfast standing up.

Check out, no one there and I had to wait 20 minutes but I needed the VAT receipt for expenses.

Not the best start to a morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the Craven Hotel for business and I'd struggled to find a hotel in this area for less than £200. When I found a room available here for £134 I was dubious but as it was only one night and location was key, I thought I'd chance it.
The staff on reception were friendly on arrival. I was on the 4th floor so it was a bit of a trek but no real problem. The room was very small but perfectly comfortable and had everything I needed.
My only complaint about the room was the shower - when I turned the shower on, the shower head was in a fixed position and it sprayed everywhere so I had to hold it in order to have a shower.
I had a great nights sleep and breakfast was perfect. There wasn't tonnes of choice of food but as most other hotels only offer continental or charge a premium for cooked breakfast, I thought it was perfectly sufficient.
I would stay here again if I needed a hotel in this area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business