“Worst mattress ever”
Review of The Craven Hotel

The Craven Hotel
Ranked #361 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I am a camper, so I can sleep just about anywhere. The mattress at the Craven Hotel pushed my back to the limits - my Christmas turkey will have more stuffing!
Another downside to the hotel - it has not lift. I was on the top floor, and had to carry two heavy suitcases up four flights of narrow stairs. That made up for the hotel not having a gym.
The dining room was in the basement and was tiny. Guests were queuing up for breakfast. I couldn't grumble about the staple English fry-up.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Mark0brien, General Manager at The Craven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you ‘BritInColumbia’ for posting a review of our hotel.
I am sorry to read that you didn’t find the bed comfortable. Some of the beds are old and we inherited them when we bought the hotel 12 months ago. I have been replacing the beds on a rolling schedule and have nearly replaced all of them. It is unfortunate that you were assigned a room with an old bed. Did you ask the receptionist to change your room?
Due to planning restrictions we are not allowed to install a lift in the hotel. We are however in discussion with Westminster City Council about the possibility of installing a lift in the future. As with most things which involve local authority it will take but we are pushing ahead with it.
Our breakfast room is compact and yes sometimes guests have to wait for a table. This is also something we have been looking at and hope to remedy the situation with some careful remodelling in 2014.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location is nice enough and I could even deal with all the stairs to the room. Alas whatever redeeming features this hotel might have in location it is seriously let down by the gentleman who sits at the front desk. Supposedly some kind of manager, I found him to be unhelpful, rude, dismissive and treated me with content with a very basic request. I almost can't believe that someone like him can work in the service industry.

If you are looking for an enjoyable stay then either avoid the guy at the front desk, or avoid the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you ‘GIBBhh’ for writing a review of our hotel.
I am sorry to read that you found a member of my team to be less than helpful during your stay. I take your comments very seriously and will be interviewing the staff. I expect all my staff to be courteous, professional and helpful, as we do work in the hospitality industry.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

It starts by being given a 4th floor room and there is no lift only the narrowest of stairs.

Then there is this racket in the room which I realise is the fan in the on-suite box/shower facility. When you turn on the light the noisy fan starts and when you turn off the light the fan runs for a further 20 minutes - very annoying.

The room was small but even so they managed to avoid putting in much furniture (I repeat this is 3 star...) being a very small room it was really hot so I opened a window and went to bed.

During the night I was woken in water falling on my face which was coming through the window, a window only open by 3 inches.

Morning, no hot water and reception said it was because they had a lot of guests... so tough.

Went to breakfast at 7.45am and there was no table so walked the 4 floors back to my room and came down at 8.40 and still no room (it was only lightly bigger than my boxy room) so I had breakfast standing up.

Check out, no one there and I had to wait 20 minutes but I needed the VAT receipt for expenses.

Not the best start to a morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the Craven Hotel for business and I'd struggled to find a hotel in this area for less than £200. When I found a room available here for £134 I was dubious but as it was only one night and location was key, I thought I'd chance it.
The staff on reception were friendly on arrival. I was on the 4th floor so it was a bit of a trek but no real problem. The room was very small but perfectly comfortable and had everything I needed.
My only complaint about the room was the shower - when I turned the shower on, the shower head was in a fixed position and it sprayed everywhere so I had to hold it in order to have a shower.
I had a great nights sleep and breakfast was perfect. There wasn't tonnes of choice of food but as most other hotels only offer continental or charge a premium for cooked breakfast, I thought it was perfectly sufficient.
I would stay here again if I needed a hotel in this area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The room and bathroom is small, but very clean. Bed comfortable. No air conditioner but we got a fan on request. My husband and I stayed there for 9 nights. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was excellent. Situated close to Hyde Park and 10 min walk from Underground.
Just to keep in mind: there is no elevator

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel was a little bit hard to find at first but once inside, it's very clean and the staff pleasant. I won a competition with one night in London so my room was already booked. Not sure if it was because we were staying only one night but we were allocated an underground room. It wasn't very big and the en-suite was just a laugh. The shower was so small my husband forgo a shower and the basin was a little half basin. Saying that, the bed was clean and very comfortable. We were tired so the air-conditioning machine outside the window didn't really bother us but if you're a light sleeper, forget it. The breakfast was not too bad but I cook better.

Room Tip: Overall, I think this Hotel might be okay to stay in but just make sure you don't get allocated...