The Craven Hotel
Elysee Hotel(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
Brunel Hotel(London)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshyde park and paddington stationsmaller bathroomno air conbreakfast was includedcooked breakfastexcellent locationfull english breakfasthairdryertube
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I were there for 4 nights and enjoyed it overall. Most reviews tell the truth when it comes down to the tininess of the hotel: the rooms are definitely for sleeping only and not to spend time in them...
If you are looking for a weekend away it's a pretty amazing deal though! You'll be outside most of the time anyway and the hotel is clean, staff very friendly, it's safe and right in the centre where London life happens. The area around the hotel is pretty international and there are great restaurants all over the place!
the only thing that was a little uncomfy was the heat: Our room had a window but we couldn't open it since it was locked with a metal blockage.

For our short stay it was good enough!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanineJessica
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The room I was in was small but clean. Breakfast was ok, but the pot of baked beans was cold. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beware of the rooms on the lower ground floor though. They are directly below an Italian restaurant and the sound of the chairs being moved was very noisy. Also the restaurant staffs' smoking and chatting area was right next to my window, which I had to keep shut even though the weather was hot. Thankfully they go home by midnight!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Positive : Breakfast was OK. Leaving the 'hotel' was even better.
Everything else ... negative. On a very warm day, I was checked into a double room in the cellar - termed as Lower Ground Floor. Room was small, but shower 'cupboard' was minute. Shower cubicle too small to turn round. To pick up soap, you need to open the shower door. Holder for shower head was broken so nowhere to hang it. Not easy. In the room part of the floor and the lower half of the wall (to the outside) had wet paint. This was applied to cover the damp problem. Open the window (as it is warm and the paint odor) only to find the stairs to the street run diagonally across the window and staff sit on the steps to smoke - which then comes into the room. Wires hanging out of the wall and light fitting hanging low from the ceiling. When I complained at 11pm, I was told there is nothing that could be done and manager would be in from 7am. So I had a paint fume filled night and woke not feeling well. On checking out, the man at reception (presumably the manager) just said sorry ..... and goodbye !!! I will NOT be back.

Room Tip: NOT LG02. In fact best room will be in a different hotel !!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Contrary to other reviews we found this to be great value for money. We have stayed many times in central London and regularly paid four times what we paid for the Craven for little difference. People leaving reviews can be stupid and if you pay £60 b and b for central London you're not going to be in a suite in the Dorchester. The room was clean and tidy and had new fittings, staff were friendly and helpful and it's 2 minutes from Lancaster Gate. Breakfast was included but we missed it so I can't comment. Only negative was the bed, which is a foldaway one and not great for the back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Yes it is a perfect location! Couple minutes walk from Lancaster Gate station! But that was the only good thing about the hotel.The actual place seemed to be nice and friendly when we checked in, but only until we`ve seen a room. VERY small!No conditioner!!!It was hot and dump.And that would be half of the disaster if not a people knocking your doors at half 12 at night!!! The scary thing was that them people had a plan.They where knocking the doors and talking between themselves in Latvian.Luckily I could understand them as I know Latvian language.They were speaking about what they gonna do if some will finally open the doors. We were SCARED!!!!!About 10 minutes it has all lasted till they finally left our floor. Thats it, the night was ruined! Also there was no phone in the room to call reception for anything. In the morning we went to ask if they have any latvian guests in the hotel, receptionist said no. I explained what happened at night, but surprisingly he didn`t seem to be shocked at least a little bit.Just said ;" No ,mam, it can't be right beacause we close the doors at 23;00 and nobody can get in." Thats worn, as it says last check till midnight! Then he said there is cameras here we would see if somebody is walking in the hotel. So I guess nobody watched the cameras. Then he told me that I should`ve ring the reception straight away when it happened from the room. I said there`s no phone. Them he got a bit confused and said that I should`ve ring London Help line then if there was no phone. WOW!!!!!! WHat is the number for that then? So what I would like to say. I was ready to get the police to sort it all out, but receptionist was denying everything I was saying!
People please be aware! It sounds like a dirty business going on in there! You will never find the truth!!!
SAFE YOU LIFE! DONT GO THERE!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alekseevna
Mark0brien, General Manager at The Craven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you ‘Alekseevna’ for posting your review.
I am very shocked and concerned to hear of your experience at our hotel and have conducted a full investigation into your claims.
I have spoken with the receptionist who was on duty regarding your concerns and he remembers that you complained but he does not remember any Latvians being in the hotel at the time you stayed. We checked the hotel computer system where we record everyone’s nationality and there were no Latvians registered in the hotel at that time.
I viewed the cameras and no suspicious behaviour was recorded. The hotel doors are locked at 11pm each night and the reception is manned 24hrs.
I can assure you that we are not involved in any kind of ‘dirty business’ and that you had called the police at the time as I am concerned and confused by your claims.