“False advertising.”

Ranked #989 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“False advertising.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I'll start by saying, at least you made it to tripadvisor to check first, I so very much wish that I had done the same, please heed the reviews here.

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in in my entire life.

We booked via Olotels.com and the information on the website informed us that the hotel had a SECURE Car Park which could be used for a fee of £10 per night.
I figured this was a fair price to pay for knowing my car was safe and secure.

We arrived at the hotel and pulled on to the driveway in front of it. I pulled into an empty spot blocking nobody, and left the car there while we went inside, assuming I would be directed to their secure area.

I wasn't.
They don't have one.
It's a big fat lie.

The 'secure' car park is actually their driveway, which is not gated and has no security at all. The wall alongside the street is low enough for someone to reach over and smash your car window as they were walking past, should they choose to do so.
If they can't provide the security they advertise, they shouldn't be charging.
Not only that, but as you walk into the hotel there's a very large, unmissable sign making it very clear that the hotel accepts no responsibility for damage or theft to your car whilst it is stored in their 'secure' area.
When we entered the hotel I was asked to move my car behind another one that was parked, which I did, blocking it in.

We were about 20 minutes early for check in, and our room wasn't ready, our fault, not theirs, they had it ready in about 5 minutes, which was fine.

The hotel itself is not at all welcoming, the paintwork is marked, dirty and chipped. A coat of paint would cheer it all up so much. We went upstairs to our room (I have to point out that I have now read through several of the reviews here, and the person who has written a happy review regarding room 207 is apparently incredibly easily pleased... We had room 207, and did not share their experience in the slightest.) The staircase and hallways are just as tired and dirty looking as the main area, crayon up the walls, dirt, chipped paint... The rooms must've been in the process of being cleaned as we got there, the hallways were just completely strewn with dirty towels. It's not so hard to get a hamper or something just to make it look a little more tidy.

Upon entering our room we were a little surprised at the size, I don't know how much room would be required to swing a cat, but I doubt that that room had enough. On the wooden headboard above the bed it were 2 wall mounted reading lamps. Directly beneath each lamp the headboard was blackened and burned, and BOTH lamps were hanging on wires from the wall. One worked, the other didn't but we didn't have the working one on long; it didn't look safe.
I'm sure that they knew about the lamp situation, but we made them aware of it at reception all the same.
In the room was an empty wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a tv, a kettle, cups, tea, coffee, milk, etc.
The bathroom was adequate, a sink, a shower, a toilet. We only had one or two problems in there. First, a couple of tiles were not grouted into the floor correctly and everytime you stood on them they shifted under your feet, and second... We were convinced at first that we had no hot water. As it turns out, it just took about 5 minutes for it to warm up. When it does warm up, it's lovely and hot. My partner had to get up on a morning, turn on the shower, then shave, use the toilet, brush his teeth, before it was warm.

The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean. Sadly, what made the night a bad one was that all that it had on it was a bottom sheet, a thin topsheet and an equally thin 'blanket' I don't know what else to call it, it really wasn't a blanket, there was nothing to it, it offered no warmth at all and the first night I ended up wearing jeans and a jumper to stay warm.
For the second night we asked at reception for a spare blanket (referring back to my earlier mention of the wardrobe being empty... Who doesn't provide a spare blanket??? ) We were handed a duvet, uncovered and a little bit suspiciously stained...

After taking our bags to our room we headed back downstairs and were about to leave the hotel to go look around London, the receptionist stopped us, asking if we were going out and looking very surprised by this idea (kind of gave me the notion that it's mainly a dirty weekend getaway type hotel, people check in and tend to stay in their rooms...) We explained that yes, we were going outside, and I was promptly asked to move my car, since it was blocking in the red one!
After I pointed out that he had, not 15 minutes earlier, instructed me to park it there, behind the red one, the receptionist decided it was fine where it was.

The dining area is not adequate for the number of guests. They have 4 tables. On our first morning we shared a table with another couple, while other guests were forced to sit and wait for space.

The breakfast was... laughable. If I didn't laugh I might cry...
There's a sign up that says 'continental breakfast - self serve'.
I don't know what makes it continental... Maybe the cheese slices.
Breakfast consists of: Cornflakes (no other cereal), apples, oranges, bananas, tesco's own low fat yoghurts, apple juice, orange juice, milk, tea, coffee, butter, marmalade and toast.
Oh, and cheese slices.
There's also a food hygiene certificate on the wall which rates it a 3 - generally satisfactory.
I don't think I'd display that on my wall.....

The room was functional, but badly maintained, lacking in a few necessities, but overall, clean.
The breakfast was pointless.
The staff were verging on rude at times, for example when the woman in the kitchen put some bread in the toaster for my partner, then wandered away and had a conversation with another employee, ignoring the pop of the toaster. My partner left it another minute or so and then got up to enter the 'kitchen' and retrieve his own toast, at which she gave him a very annoyed look, bustled past and handed him his cold toast...

I would never come back here.

If you're reading this review to see whether or not you should book, I strongly advise that you don't.
The only recommendation I would make for this hotel is a change of ownership.

But if you do read this and then go book it anyway... You've only yourself to blame ;)

Room Tip: If you get room 207 let me know if they've bothered repairing the bedside lamps!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Claire W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were charged £10 to park the car although this was not clear from website, Room very sparse although clean not comfortable the bed was almost on the floor. We thought within easy travelling distance to West End shows but over 4m

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The pictures you can see on here from recent people staying is not exaggerating the extend of some of the hotel's issues.

It is cheap and you get what you paid for - this was booked for me by my work and I have moaned for 3 x days about the lack of sleep I have been able to get. There was damp on the walls and ceiling, the curtains were wafer thin, the bed was 2 x mattresses on top of each other, the kettle didn't work and the TV didn't either. The bedding was an old army blanket (which was stained) and 2 x sheets which were dirty.

Would never choose or advise to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place is shocking! Please don't waste your money! Be warned its horrendous! The bed sheets were stained, the bath is a sink, the shower has no shower curtain and no hot water, the toilet doesn't flush, the tv was broken, the tv cabinet fell off the wall, the drawer on the dressing room table just doesn't exist and the service is shocking! Greeted the receptionist and he just looked away! Not worth £1!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Lympstone
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

What is all this nonsense and vendetta about the Premier. I booked online in room 207 for Fri14 Sept for one over night while seeing Beirut at The Hammersmith Apollo. The welcome was warm and friendly the room was clean and tidy. The bed linen was crisp and clean white sheets on a very comfortable queen size bed with a chenille cover. Immaculate whites towels and a collection of toiletries and the shower was perfect as was all the bathroom. Didn't use the tea and coffee facilities although available and missed breakfast by lingering too long in the comfortable bed and cutting it a bit fine to get my train back to Devon. All the residents appeared to be happy. The convenience of the position of the hotel couldn't be better. I felt embraced not only by the good will of the hotel but also the whole of that small area which is new to me. Try a pint in the Dartmouth Castle or the William Morrris( Wetherspoons.). I would go back without hesitation. Value for money 100%. If you have £49 in your pocket you could not spend it more wisely or get a better deal the the Premier West

Room Tip: Room 207 for one person bit of traffic noise but roomy and comfortable
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

My lovely boss decided to book me in this place (as all bosses thinking of money, and you probabally won't get cheaper in this part of London) No hot water, tv broken , squeaky beds and drunken clientele walking in early evening obviously after probabally been in pub all day. Definitely not for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Danny S
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed in this hotel, It was shabby with awful decor and a sink that only had scorching hot water or freenzing cold,
theyre was a lot of noise in the hotel slamming of doors people talking even after 3:30 am in the morning.
Reported it to the Manager who refused to give me any of my money back. I wouldnt stay here again even if it was free

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple