“PLEASE DO NOT STAY”

Ranked #987 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“PLEASE DO NOT STAY”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I checked in King Solomom Hotel on Saturday afternoon, I booked a double room with breakfast at the price for £64.00
The reason why i booked the rooms was because of the reviews your hotel dad not thinking if there are fake!!!

Once i arrive and check in, i was informed by the receptionist( male ) that they had no double rooms available and the only one they had was a single or a triple at the very top floor.
SoI compromised and I said if i could view the top floor. After viewing the room, I was very disappointed to go back to the receptionist and tell him that I am claustrophobic, i suffer and i have panic attacks when its very combine spaces with little windows and light.

Once i have explained this to the reception, I felt like I was talking to somebody that wasnt giving me the attention (very bad customer service)
and felt that he was not happy to help, he was very rude , laughing at me,and telling me that i had no choice. After disputing the situation and explaining that I was not happy after all, I booked a double room at the price of £64.00, He finally said that we have a double room available. ROOM 48 without him checking if the room was ready for customers.

ROOM 48
At this point I gave my hopes up and I Just except it not thinking that once I get into the room I felt i Walk into a DISGUSTING FILTHY not looked after room. WINDOWS FULL OF DAMP, BATHROOM FULL OF DAMP, with COLD WATER, ELECTRIC WIRE IN THE BATHROOM STICKING OUT...SMELLS... VERY VERY VERY upset, angry, disappointed and felt ripped of £64.00 worth of room....WHAT A DISGRACE....

So overall, Not only the double room that i payed for was not available, i got taken by granted by my claustrophobia illness by the receptionist and finally giving me a dirty, the disgraceful room that its used by the workers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Isabella D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Solomon for 17 days. Staff was polite. The rooms are very old but you get what you pay. Breakfast is always the same every day of the week (tuna, corn, cucumbers, bagels, boiled eggs, eggs and corn salad, tomatoes). Far too many eggs and same old food every day.
The corridors are like endless labyrinths with no air circulation (bad smell sometimes), noise from the other rooms. You can literally hear everything as the walls are not very thick.
I only booked this place because it was cheap but I wouldn't go back. The restaurant inside of the hotel "la dolce vita" has nice food but is FAR TOO EXPENSIVE and the staff, a Jewish English girl (the manager?), two Eastern European waitresses have no manners. This restaurant didn't make me feel welcome. As soon as I sat down I was constantly put under pressure to order. I will not go back.
A lot of Jewish people go there because they serve Kosher food and maybe because it's a cheap bed & breakfast.

The Romanians cleaners and catering staff were very polite and nice.

Room Tip: Ask the staff to give you a room near the reception and on the ground floor or don't book any ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julian R

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through LastMinuite.com and was terrified when I read the reviews. However, thankfully it was clean, warm, quiet and the staff friendly. It was perfect for our theatre trip (where I begrudge paying more for my hotel than my theatre ticket) as we drove from Sheffield straight down the M1, parked at the hotel and arrived at the theatre in half an hour or so. True, there are a lot of stairs so if you are elderly, disabled or with children in tow; it's not the hotel for you. But the neighbourhood is fairly nice, close to lots of shops. The room was small and in the bathroom so compact I could have done my s...omething, shower and shave all at the same time. Had a great night's sleep and appreciated the double glazing as the hotel sits on a main road, and the heating as it was freezing outside. For the price - no complaints.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sian D
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed in room 108, a double with extra bed and ensuite. great room but walls are thin so expect to hear door slamming and voices. but after reading reviews, i was surprised. beds were spotless and comfy and bathroom, even though it was small it was perfect for us (although the water in the shower was too hot for my chap, and didn't seem to have a cool setting, just hot and hotter).

Tea & coffee tray was full and even a fridge under the counter. Plenty of room for clothes and shirts to hang. Sockets were a struggle to get to, as the bed needed moving slightly, but nothing too tricky.
Housekeeping came in the day while we were out; emptied the bins and remade the beds and left more towels and loo roll.
Breakfast was odd, but filled us for the day. Toast, bagels, boiled egg, salad(?), tuna sweetcorn and egg mayo sandwich fillers and cereal. It was a shame that the coffee was vending machine, but my daughter loved the hot choc.

We were unfortunate on our first night stay that there was a domestic fight happening in a room nearby and kept us up all night, and left us pretty exhausted the next day, but the second night was very quiet so we soon forgot about it.

Location of the hotel was pretty good, only a short walk from the Golder Green Tube Station and passed most convenience store if you need supplies. Mainly Kosher eats locally though due to the area being predominantly Jewish.

We were very pleased with our stay, and we only paid £62 pn for the room inc breakfast. Bargain.

Room Tip: Our room was 108 (Double and single beds) and at the back. It was overlooking the rear of the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We booked to stay 2 nights with our 2 young children and requested a cot which was an adequate travel cot however, our room was on the 2nd floor. As this hotel has no lifts, we had to carry the pushchair up a very narrow staircase.

The room was big enough but the beds were camp beds and the duvets thin from age! The bathroom looked newly refurbished however none of us could wash/shower as the water was scolding hot!

Breakfast in my opinion was very poor: salad and odd tastiby Bagels. The kids just about managed the cereal. The owner stood menacingly urging his staff to stop talking and work!

All in all not the worst place we have stayed but like so many other guests commented, it could have been so much better.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Misstullibody
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

There was parking at the front of the hotel although a little tight and perhaps not enough places during busy periods.

Check in was ok although it seemed there was some sort of construction or reconstruction going on and so it didn't seem as professional as perhaps it may have had. The reception staff were ok, neither friendly or welcoming - indifferent.

Our room was at the top and so we had to struggle up these narrow staircases with all our belongings from our 6 week tour, which was no easy feat and it's a good job that we are fit and healthy.

Our first impressions? Nice but squashed. It was so small. The bed was comfortable, there was everything we needed - a kettle, very good supply of tea, coffee, milk and sugar, and it was clean.... but the bathroom door doesn't close and I enjoy my privacy. Hello! Plug sockets?

The shower floor is scratched but everything works fine and the towels are clean.

The next day, even though they took our dirty towel away, they failed to leave a fresh one - an oversight probably.

Wifi is something like £9 for 24 hours which I think is too much so we just used my mobile phone's internet which was cheaper.

We were awoken by people coming in on the first night late at night, and on the second the fire alarm went off. Twice! It was approximately 4 or 5am. Thereafter, we could hear people going from room to room, down the stairs, talking in the hallways, leaving, etc., and it was far too busy for me to go back to sleep.

Although breakfast was included, neither my husband or had any appetite after quite a restless couple of nights so I am unable to comment on it.

I wouldn't stay here again and I would not recommend it to family or friends.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank nicksibubs
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Yes it's basic but what do you expect for the price? The room we stayed in had two double beds and a small bathroom. The room was clean and tidy, it had tea, coffee and kettle, a tv. Needed a iron and got one from reception. I will say the breakfast is nothing to write home about but who really cares!? It's fine for one night and I would happily stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DJ750
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Viking Hotel
#5 of 15 in Ilford
Best Western Palm Hotel
Best Western Palm Hotel
#551 of 1,068 in London

Been to King Solomon Hotel? Share your experiences!