“Comfortable stay, amazing location, helpful staff”

The King's Wardrobe Serviced Apartments by BridgeStreet
Ranked #24 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at this place twice last year on a business trip. Once in May 2012 for a week and again in July 2012 for 3 weeks. On my first visit I was alotted a 1 BHK apartment which was so lovely. A big living room, a nice cure bedroom, freshly painted walls, nice wooden furniture, tasteful decoration, comfortable bed, spotless bathroom, bathtub, towels, fully stocked kitchen...everything was just perfect...so much so that I didn't feel like leaving the place only :) Yes, there were constant sounds of St Paul's cathedral bells every hour, but unlike many others I found them very soothing and meditating!

During my secong visit in July, 1BHKs were all booked due to Olympic rush, so had to manage with studio apartment only. They were decent, as in all the amenities were same as in a 1BHK but luxury wise they were far away from the 1 BHKs.

The staff is very helpful and warm and round the clock available at reception. The location is very convenient as well. At just 300 mets walk there ia a St paul bus stop and at 500m distance is the Blackfriars tube station. A walk in the evening to London eye via victoria embankment is just out of the world. It is so quiet and peaceful and meditating feeling! (I am so much in love with London <3 ). So all in all a very nice and convenient place to stay in London.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, go for the 1 or 2 BHKs and not studios. It is worth the extra money that you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ruchi C

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Got a booking here at short notice from a bargain website. Impressed with the standard of accommodation generally but as others have said, the sound of St Paul's Cathedral bells every hour on the hour through the night was rather loud. The apartment also overlooked a street with very little traffic but the noise of late night revellers in the street below was quite annoying. The rooms were tidy but the place could do with double glazing to keep down the noise. Otherwise very comfortable.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Paffmeisterr
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Booked 3 nights with BridgeStreet - and had wanted to stay in Wardrobe Place, although the company came back to me very quickly saying they were full and offered me accommodation just up the road in Smithfield. As the location was just about the same, and they offered me a good reduced rate I took up the offer.

On arrival, I found that I had been given a two bedroom apartment - which was massive. The place was spotlessly clean, lovely polished wood floors and very good furniture, fittings etc. There were two bathrooms - with towels etc, a big lounge - with sofas and a good-sized dining table, satellite TV and there was even a welcome box containing cereal, milk, sugar, tea, coffee etc etc.The bedroom was great - a very comfortable bed and pillows. There is a nice small kitchen too - which is well stocked with utensils.

The apts have 24 hr concierge and are well located. Noise factor is minimal as there is secondary glazing and it is well off any main road, and you dont really hear the trucks coming to the market. The apts at Smithfield are walking distance to the city of London, just round the corner from St Pauls Cathedral etc. There is a Tesco supermarket within 300 metres. Good restaurants and pubs in the same street and nearby in Farringdon. Nearest tube is either St Pauls or Farringdon - both equidistant.

All-in all an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms will give a better view over Smithfield area. Negotiate a deal to get a bigger a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank JonoLion
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I found these apartments via booking.com and I am so happy we did. Our experience of London accommodation has been very hit and miss. We now know where we will stay each time we return to London. The apartments are between St. Paul's Cathedral and The Millenium Bridge but tucked away in the back streets so a restful nights sleep is guarentee'd. Upon arrival we were made very welcome and everyone was so helpful. The apartment was clean, tastefully decorated and spacious. More importantly the bed was super comfy! Our apartment had 2 tv's ( one in the bedroom), iPod docking station, hair dryer, iron, safe, air con and loads more. Lots of good places to eat around and about. Would recommend Cotes for breakfast. Overall I have no complaints, loved it and will return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paulamiller
Reviewed July 10, 2012

These apartments are on a (relatively) quiet street 2 blocks from St. Paul's Cathedral. Very convenient for the City, St. Paul's, The Globe, Tate Modern and Southwark area. There is also the #23 bus that stops close to St. Paul's that follows a route almost identical to the tour buses (along through covent garden to Oxford Street, etc) to many of the tourist spots. The central line tube station at St. Paul's is also very convenient!

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath flat in the modern area of the flats. We were staying for a few weeks as part of a move to the UK while we were waiting for our permanent accommodation to be readied. There are numerous buildings within the complex, so it would be good to ask for a refurbished unit. My husband stayed previously in a non-refurbished property and was not impressed. The flats are well-designed, secure and well-supplied. The maid service was amazing. The front desk staff quality varied a bit, depending on who was on duty, but we rarely needed anything so it was never an issue.

The flats are large by european standards and small by American standards, but the layout is very efficient, so I can't imagine size would be an issue for a short stay. Beats a cramped hotel room hands-down. The Master bedroom had en-suite bathroom and the second bedroom had a lovely hall bathroom. The sitting room had a sofa, arm-chair, desk and eating-area. The kitchen was well-equipped to handle meals. We did find it difficult to do any "big" shopping, but there is both a Tesco express and a small Sainsbury's adjacent to St. Paul's.

There is a little french cafe on the corner that service a nice, reasonably priced dinner. For coffee, skip the Starbucks in Paternoster square and head to Grace, the little cafe on the corner for a light breakfast and good coffee.

Note to light sleepers: The bells, the bells of St. Paul's WILL keep you awake if you are a light sleeper. We just kept the room fan on for white noise and it was just fine. On the up side, you will know EXACTLY what time it is every 15 minutes (although I think it just chimes the hour through the night).

We would stay again and would recommend to visiting friends and family.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a refurbished/newer unit. My husband stayed at King's Wardrobe a year ago...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank APassportAffair
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Let me get the bad thing out of the way first. We made a booking via Booking.com and had a confirmation. However the Kings Wardrobe lost the reservation in their system. They spent a great deal of time and effort in a futile effort to prove it was our fault, but in the end had to accept that it was their error. The staff on duty made no attempt to apologise. When he came on duty a couple of days later, Toby gave us a bottle of wine to smooth our feathers - it was a nice gesture, but I would have preferred that they had not lost our booking.

Having read stuff here about charging for wifi, I made a point of berating them about it. I then found out that you can get free wifi "slow and only really suitable for emails and basic browsing". It is a bit obscure, and even after reception told me how to get it, I still had to go back to get it done. And when they say slow, it is slow, a faster connection costs you incredibly £12 per day. I don't know how they have the nerve to charge that!

OK, the good things are that it is very convenient to get around London from here, the tube is only a couple of hundred yards away. The area is very quiet (I liked the St Paul's bells!) and a bunch of nice restaurants of various price brackets on your doorstep. Marks & Spencer Food Shop and a Tesco make grocery shopping very easy

The apartments are well kitted out, if a bit dated - they need a re-vamp sometime soon. The reception staff were very good when we had visitors and escorted our visitors to our door.

I would use it again, and would call the week before to check that our booking had not disappeared into a hole in their computer system

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank moraira
Reviewed April 18, 2012

A last minute 3 day trip to London for my family of 5 and we found The Kings Wardrobe! We booked their 2 bedroom apartment with extra bed for my youngest son. Plenty of space, master en-suite, another double, bathroom, kitchen, lounge-diner with all mod cons. A couple of small issues, no free wi-fi disappointing for kids with Ipods. We stay in A3.7 on 3rd floor, the apartment was clean and spaceous but very warm with seemingly no way of cooling unless you opened the windows. This was fine until you wanted to sleep. The location is really close to St. Pauls which is fabulous for getting about but you hear the bells more throughout the night if you have the windows ajar. 3 mins walk to the tube station, a few nice family restaurants close by too if you don't want to go far, like Pizza Express and so on. I would recommend - we also managed to get a discount rate and only booked 5 days before travelling! Great find and would definitely use again. Price was great for 2 nights for 5 compared to any London hotel which also wouldn't give you the space and freedom of an apartment.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family