“Probably THE worst hotel I have ever stayed in”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Alexander Hotel London
Ranked #1,020 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 27, 2010

The pictures on the website look lovely. Must have been taken from another hotel. From the minute we walked in there was a big crack in the front door. The receptionist was nice but could just about understand us. We had to ask for toilet paper although we got there at 6pm, obvious not very well set up. Our room, number 2, next to reception. As soon as we opened the door the carpets were thread bare. The "en suite" was the smallest room, if you tried to turnaround you'd get stuck. There was a massive crack in the sink, which was in the room!!! not the bathroom. The carpets were filthy, curtains hanging off, lamp shade from teh 80's dirt still attached. There was a massive spiderweb with dust attached, easily 5 years ols. There were marks on the wall which I can only descibe as "poo". I'm pretty sure something bit me in bed as I have a lovely bug red mark. And the view, well a prison would have looked nicer, with broken glass and barbed wire to look at. Nice. The food was OK but the dining room small and damp running all down the walls. The toilet decided not to flush, although we could hear water running outside, leaking down the wall instead. We went to take a shower to find the lack of cold water meant only one thing, boiling hot water. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a flea or shabby dog. It needs knocking down or condemning. Disguisting

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank Dippydai

Reviewed October 28, 2010

I just wanted to post a review about this horrible hotel. It was such a bad experience.

Good points:
* Close to Victoria Station which makes easy your traveling across London and England

Bad points:
* Soooo old rooms
* Fire traces and not useful toilet in my friend's room
* Fleas and bedbugs in the triple room beside the reception, as a well as a ridiculously small bathroom where you are not able to bend 'cuz you don't fit in the tight walls
* No way to contact the staff after 11pm
* Dirty facilities
* More EXPENSIVE compared to the prices with the neighbour hotels £75 in double room and £100 in the triple room. The prices in neighbour hotels are £50 in double room and £75 in triple room, with breakfast included.
* Tatooed cook girl whom serves food and attends reception while the receptionist is not available!
* Not satellital tv as offered in the website
* Not Wi-Fi available as offered in the website
* Slim walls, you are able to hear EVERYTHING in your neighbours rooms, disgusting!

Well, I don't recommend this nasty hotel at all and advice you to search in neighbour hotels as easyhotel or Belgrave Hotel (both of them in front of the Alexander, with much better facilities and CHEAPER rate ), or Stanley Hotel (2 doors away) for similar facilities but clean and with light.

Me and a friend of mine made a tour door to door through the area hotels 'cuz it is not possible to be at Alexander. It's more than you can stand! Horrible! At the end we moved to the Stanley hotel since Belgrave Hotel and EasyHotel were totally booked. Ahh, close to the Alexander you can also find a Best Western hotel!

Make sure you won't stay in this nasty hotel, the hotel info is 13 Belgrave Road - Victoria - London - SW1V 1RB - England Tel: +44 (0)20 7834 9738 - Fax: +44 (0)20 7630 9630 ad the website is http://www.alexanderhotel.co.uk/

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank EmanuelMEXCY
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Not a great experience. As soon as possible, I had to move. Run by
young girls from out of the country--with no recourse when there were
problems. I did finally manage to get a refund, but that didn't compensate
for moving from room to room and the bug problem!! Also, the fan and t.v.
in one room didn't work, and contrary to what their really wonderful site
implied, there was no internet available.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in 1996 and 1997. I do not believe they have vacuumed since. The sink was cracked. The toilet seat did not fit properly. The carpet was heavily stained, damaged,and filthy. Do not take the single room. It was a claustrophic closet with a leaky sink. I did not eat the breakfast fearing the potential hygiene in the kitchen might be the same as the room care. Staff is friendly. Management is indifferent. I was planning to stay there two nights on my return to London. I told them I would not return due to the condition of the place and wanted my deposit back. That was almost 3 weeks notice. They refused but I was able to get VISA to refund part of it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at the Alexander Hotel last weekend when we went to see the London Marathon. I normally check things out with Tripadvisor first but we were pushed for time so I took a chance and made a booking then felt very worried when I read the reviews.
So what was our experience?

Well, on the positive side, it is very close to Victoria Station thus making London very accessible. We did not have any problem with the booking - we were late arriving but the nice woman on reception buzzed us in and was very polite and competent.

The staff are mostly young European women and they were all helpful and charming. We were a bit early for breakfast but the young lady let us into the dining room and promptly took our order. The brekafast is not going to win awards but we had cereal followed by toast and scrambled egg along with a cup of tea. All perfectly adequate.

On the downside, the rooms are small and although we had quite a nice tv in our room, the tiny one in our daughter's single room did not work. That said, we were out all day so that was not really an issue for us.

The showers are ok but hot water is still hit and miss. The rooms are cleanish but they certainly are not particularly modern. My daughter thought her room was a joke when we opened the door to be faced with a doorless hanging wardrobe to the side and 2 white fire doors in front of us. In fact, the tiny single room was hidden behind these very springy doors. Hmm. Not sure that would impress anyone!

Overall, they seem to have improved on the meet and greet front and the rooms are ok if you just want somewhere to dump your stuff and go off round London. The staff are also very good about allowing you to leave bags at reception once you check out.

Would I use it again? Probably not.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Alison B
Reviewed April 9, 2009

A very nice hotel for the budget traveller.
Don't expect too much, it still is a cheap hotel (very cheap for london).

The rooms were small but ok, we allways had warm water. The personnel was very VERY friendly and the breakfast was good( bacon with eggs, toast, warm and cold drinks, cereals and sometimes fruit). It was no problem to leave our luggage in the hotel after we checked out yesterday morning. The location was super!
I can understand that persons who are used to stay in "posh" hotels don't like this hotel, but for the budget traveller who is used to staying in cheap hotels, this hotel is perfect. I've stayed in very bad hotels over the years and this certainly is not one of them. Just one thing: we slept in room 22 and the floors of the rooms above us made noise(all the houses in the area are very old, this is normal), so if you are not a steady sleeper,bring some earplugs.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Disgusting, horrible hotel. Nothing worked well and it was smelly and dirty looking.

Do not recommend to anyone.

Stayed: September 2008