“Definitely, a special place to stay!”
Review of The Lilac Door

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Lilac Door
Ranked #10 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Definitely, a special place to stay!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

It’s always a challenge to find affordable accommodation for a family of four in Europe that is clean, comfortable and convenient to all of the major tourist attractions. And we found all of that - and more - at The Lilac Door. Surprisingly modern (given its Victorian exterior) and situated on a quiet tree-lined street in suburban West Dulwich, this B&B was a welcome retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city - and yet, a short 10-15 minute train ride away from Victoria station and London’s central core. Our two rooms on the top floor were spacious, tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean. The beds had crisp white linens and were very comfortable. And the ensuite 3-piece bathrooms had modern fixtures, complementary toiletries, heated towel racks, and showers with great water pressure. There were Lindt chocolates on the beds when we arrived, and the owner, Jane, offered us tea, coffee, ice water and cookies - and delivered them to our rooms on trays. The hot-and-cold breakfast was hearty, with croissants and other baked goods, meats and cheeses, yogurt, cereals, scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, and EXCELLENT coffee - so plentiful, in fact, that we were usually able to skip lunch, which saved us a lot of money. Jane is interested and helpful, without being intrusive, and she goes the extra mile to ensure that you have a good stay. She did a load of laundry for us, for example, and she made a special trip to the train station prior to our arrival to enquire about train service on New Year’s Eve. That really impressed me, and it reflects her commitment to ensuring that her guests have everything they need. I’m not surprised that Alastair Sawday features The Lilac Door on his website (www.sawdays.co.uk) as one of Britain’s “Special Places to Stay.”

Note: There’s an added bonus in London to taking the train. The railway companies offer GroupSave discounts that enable parties of four to travel for the cost of two. And if you buy travel cards at a train station, you can download 2 for 1 vouchers to many of the city’s main attractions at www.daysoutguide.co.uk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank suzannerobins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Mojacar, Spain
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Lilac doors charm, warmth and elegance is a refelection of the qualities of the owner, Jane. We were so comfortable during our week there, and even a little spoiled by Jane. She helped us in so many ways that were well over and above our expectations. The room was beautiful and comfortable, and we slept so well there. Janes attention to detail is apparent throughout the delightful home, down to the selections of teas in the room. (The best quality and variety of teas and coffees) Great bathroom products that smelled like heaven. There was even a soft covered hot water bottle in a drawer in addition to the central heating. The breakfasts were absolutely excellent. Thank you Jane, for making our trip so wonderful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danja55
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have stayed in many lovely hotels all over the world and I've also stayed in B & B's in BLACKOOL! But The lilac door is like a very posh hotel with a lovely homely feeling. Jane is very welcoming. The rooms are very modern as is the house and spotless! The ensuite provides all the freebies you get in a hotel but with all the mod cons! The food was 5* quality with as much as you could eat!! I can honestly say I have never stayed in a B&B like it before! I don't know what the cost was as it was a gift but I can imagine it can't be cheap! If its quality you need with only a 30 min commute on bus and 10 on tube then look no further. I would definitely stay again and have great pleasure in recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank LadyL89
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I (newly-married) stayed here from Dec. 31, 2012 to January 4, 2013 before traveling to study in Cambridge. Jane's bright smile and cheery demeanor (along with a hot pot of tea) were a much appreciated welcome after an uncomfortable, sleepless flight from the U.S., especially given our exhausted efforts to drag our luggage up the staircases of a few train stations as well as the dreary weather. Our journey from Heathrow was thankfully easy, courtesy of Jane's simple and concise directions for navigating the London Transportation System.

The room was clean and comfortable, and although the bathroom was 3 steps down the landing at the end of the hallway, we didn't mind (it is only about 15 ft./4.5 m away and robes were also provided).

Breakfast was by far my favorite part of the stay. Jane does a wonderful job, not only preparing delicious meals but also presenting them in a charming manner. She gave us helpful advice on traveling to different sites and getting a full experience of London proper. I couldn't have asked for more! We wish we could have stayed another week, and hope we can return again one day. My wife and I are extremely pleased we chose the Lilac Door!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just checked into the hotel this evening.
My first stay & will certainly return.
I was welcomed by the owner, whom is extremely friendly,courteous & helpful.Nothing was too much trouble.
The room I have been allocated was on the top floor.
Very well presented, spotlessly clean, lots of nice touches, chocolates, amenities & even a hot water bottle!
Although I have to be up very early, breakfast has been arranged & the owner was very accommodating in arranging this for me.
The directions were perfect from west dulwich station.
Nearby is Cafe Rouge, Tesco express, bakery, chemist etc.
Perfect location & short journey into central London 10-15 mins.
I highly recommend this B&b, if you like a boutique style accommodation, this certainly ticks all the boxes.
A credit to the owner:-)

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Blondegirl009
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Jane, you've no idea how much your friendly welcome made to us after our huge day of countryside travelling, returning our hire car and lugging bags thro the metro etc.. You made our first visit to London such a positive experience, with heaps of advice and tips; even dishing out plasters for a blister gained after a day crammed full of sightseeing. Our room was beautiful, as were our yummy breakfasts. I'd love to return if ever we got the chance to visit London again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Heather L
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Lilac Door is a superb B & B located 11 minutes from Victoria Station. My husband and I stayed at the Lilac Door in mid-October (too busy to post before now). We absolutely adored our hostess Jane. She brought tea and biscuits to our room shortly after we arrived from our long journey. Jane answered all of our questions and offered suggestions on how to get to all of our site seeing destinations in London. She drove us to the car letting office on short notice and she even did some of our laundry! The breakfast was amazing; lots to choose from. She will make scrambled eggs, all you have to do is ask.
The neighbourhood is quaint and quiet and there are a number of good pubs and restaurants nearby. There is a Tesco Express close by as well. The West Dulwich railway station is a mere five minutes away (by foot) and then it is only 11 minutes to Victoria station.
I cannot stress enough how lovely this B & B is and how wonderful Jane was to us. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple