“Quality modern Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Carom - CLOSED

Carom
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Carom in Soho is currently closed. However we have popped up down butlers Wharf as Spice Garden. Book Carom's delicious flavours by the Thames now via Butlers Wharf Chop House - Spice Garden.
London, United Kingdom
“Quality modern Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My experience at Carom was very enjoyable and unexpected - due to its location in Meza I was expecting overpriced and perhaps overrated food but I was so wrong. The food selection was varied, the dishes well presented, fresh sizeable and tasty and I was very pleasantly surprised and will definitely return. Only two negatives are the noise levels (which also makes for atmosphere I suppose if you are not seated next to a large loud group of Americans!) and the price of a mocktail - £6 seems a bit steep! I was impressed to see the chef walking between tables asking customers if they were happy with their food. Will definitely return.

1 Thank electroshock

Prudhoe
“Things did get better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly lady who asked if we wanted to put our coats in the cloakroom. A nice start. She then ushered us to our pre booked table in the large, colourful, well designed restaurant. The menus were given to us and drinks were ordered. Unfortunately the white wine arrived and it was warm, not even chilled a little. My wife asked for this to be changed and the new caraffe came back slightly cooler, but she still had to ask for ice, a no no in any resaurant is getting this wrong. It is a basic thing in this trade. Also, not having pint glasses is ridiculous with small bottles of beer lasting only minutes, it is not the best idea as the customers have to ask for replenishment far too often if this is the case.
A nice touch was that the main course dishes were explained to us if they were a dry dish, or a dish you could dip your nan bread in. I must say the poppadoms and the other starter did not come out together as promised, not good.
The main courses were tasty and well cooked, the chicken content was all different pieces from all of the chicken. By this I mean that the chefs prepare and cook the entire chicken, not just the breast, so you need to be ready for some lesser standard quality here. I do think it is a good idea and probably done this way to be a bit more authentic as I am almost sure it will be cooked like this in the home country. A chicken tikka massala and a house special curry were our preferred choices which went down very well, the special house dish was excellent in its flavour.
I must say that there were too many people serving us at our sitting, nice not to be forgotten, but we had to inform some waiters that things were in hand with other waiters a few times. I can think of 6 people we were dealt with at our table, there were maybe more than this.Not good.
To finish off, the restaurant itself is beautifully designed and very comfortable. It has dark and light areas and lots of atmosphere.

1 Thank Lesdawsonprudhoe
London, United Kingdom
“3 Course Pan Indian Delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked a table for 2 with a friend as an early dinner post shopping truip in Central Ldn. The service was dynamic, Maria served us and was very accomodating. The food was delicious and fresh. The portions were adequeate. Try the sticky toffee pudding with cinnamon ice cream - It is to die for. Thanks for a great evening.

“Great place....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

The food is excellent... Service is perfect. The atmosphere is great and decor is stunning. The cocktails are great too! Definitely worth a try and will return!

1 Thank j2bob
“Fresh and fragrant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Dined at Carom last week and whilst had been drawn in by the three courses for £15.00 offer ended up being tempted away by the delicious a la carte selection. My friend and I shared the chilli squid and vegetable parcels to start. Hot crisp tasty full of flavour - great starters. I had the masala lamb chop for main my friend the fish curry and we shared a hot flaky bread basket and the lovely black lentil Dahl. Friendly attentive service, great decor and a really good fun atmosphere. My only complaint was the "lady in the loo" a worker who sits in the washrooms and doles out hand towels, hair spray and oddly confectionary..for a tip. Made me feel a little uncomfortable but don't let this put you off a cracking night at Carom.

1 Thank Minty2011