“Relaxing meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
new zealand
“Relaxing meal”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We ate outside on a sunny Saturday for lunch. It has more of a casual atmosphere when sitting outside - there are kids running around on the grass, runners and walkers going up & down the Thames, so it's quite relaxing to sit there eating and more private too as you can't really hear the nearby tables. The food is flavoursome with true Italian flavours. We found the staff to be friendly, helpful & attentive. The wine by the glass was expensive. It probably would be more economical to buy a bottle, but we didn't want to drink too much at lunch time. An enjoyable experience.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
“hungry in hammersmith?”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

well if you are you shouldn't come here...it's excellent so it's impossible to walk in and get a table, we randomly got a reservation because they expand the table service outside when the weather is good (so, not that often in London)
This is famously, exclusively Italian...in fact I don't think they have wines from anywhere else. not that that makes a difference, they had tons of good wines....but the servers weren't that up on them, they seemed to recommend their own favourites etc.
The food was excellent and felt fresh, we had lamb, buffalo mozz and tomatoe salad and langoustine around the table...delicious.
The atmosphere is great, the room is high, the servers seemed both happy and attentive. Lots of famous people, apparently.

This is a great overall dining and social experience, as opposed to an overly intense culinary extravaganza as offered elsewhere.

Book ahead!

• Visited June 2013
“Not a good experience....overrated”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

After travelling for several weeks in France and England and visiting many top restaurants over that time, this was to be one of our special treats in London. What a disappointment !!
We were seated at a table near the centre of the bar, this is where most waiters congregated, thus making it very busy and noisy and very off putting as you are so close.
My husband had the fish soup, which while nice was spoilt by the fact that he had to dig in with his fingers to peel prawns, crab and lobster...not easy with tomato based soup, what was even worst, there were no bowls supplied for shells and the finger bowls didn't arrive till we were just about finished....more napkins would also have helped.
I ordered grilled fish, when it arrived I could believe what it looked like..bait of fish with lemon, very bland and soggy spinach and zucchini .....It looked dreadful , no presentation at all for a supposedly top class restaurant .
More to come...when I ordered home made ice cream this came, one scoop each in a ordinary glass bowl....that's it.
Most top restaurant have little extras to enhance your dining experience.....no such here, not even a biscuit with our coffee and tea.....then the bill came....wow ! So over priced...this restaurant might have been good once but no more !

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Elaine C
Dublin, Ireland
“Stunning Food”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Easy to see how this unpretentious little gem has achieved cult-like status amongst London foodies. The service was smooth and professional, the interior light and airy, the food simple but exquisite. A rare treat given the high prices, but a worthwhile one.

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“I don't understand what the fuss is about”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'll be honest. I hve done 5 reviews on here and they have all been because i thought the places were excellent. So to give those reviews some credibility I decided to think of my worst ever dining experiences and it brought me here. We sta outside and splashed out on champagne. The cups were that cheap plastic. When we clinked them we just laughed. Naff when you are paying these kind of prices. Food was not bad but just really boring with no imagination in presentation. It didn;t taste great or look great and service was ordinary. It's ages ago so I can't now remember detail but it was just SO disappointing for a place with such a great reputation and prices. I might be being harsh not going for "average" but if a place stands out when you are trying to think awhat to give bad reviews then it is clearly worse than average. For me anyway. Oh and we had to come indoors (not their fault of course-it is a neighbourhood restaurant) but it was all just really not a great experience.

• Visited June 2012