“Brilliant food, but they need to advertise / do deals to get busier at lunch”
Review of Morgan M. - CLOSED

Morgan M.
Morgan M.
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've been going to Morgan M ever since it opened and loved everything about it. The move to a new location jut round the corner from work means even more chance to go - and not on my card either. It's true that compared to the living room atmosphere the new location has lost something, but comparing a Monday lunch with Saturday evening is not really fair. All four of us had superb several Michelin star food. The turnip soup was the creamiest thing I can recall ever eating for a starter. The turbot au lait was melt in the mouth whilst the pre dessert rice pudding remains one of the best things Morgan makes. My worry is that it just doesn't seem busy enough. They need to advertise and do deals on quiet times. How about a bring your own wine on a Monday like the heaving Hawksmoor? I really don't want them to close. Much as I love them, amuse Boucher just aren't necessary at lunchtime when time is sparce

Reviewed February 14, 2013

An excellent well presented 3 course set meal with lovely cutlery (such things improve the ambience if you're into the experience like me!). An nice little ravioli of snails for starters, followed by a tower of hare meat (my wife had the brioche and beetroot puree) and to finish the cheese and my wife had a superb pineapple and coconut souffle with ice cream.

The interior is nice enough but may be a little too plain but service was very attentive.

The only thing that slightly marred it for me was a confusion over the set menu. Watch out for the cheese supplement which is an extra £7.50 on top of the set menu choice. I didn't notice this when ordering - my fault. I think the set menu price should mean exactly that. £12.50 for three small pieces of cheese (from the a la carte) and quince jelly is a little over the top I think and nowhere near as good as the souffle that my wife had.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We tried the newly relocated Morgan M with fond memories of their former Islington location.

Food remains as high quality as ever - good menu choices, well cooked and beautifully presented etc. While we would certainly recommend it I can't help but feel it has lost a little of the buzz of the old location. Whereas the old location always felt very welcoming this time the service felt slightly arrogant while the interior design feels slightly bland and uninspiring.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Initially a bit concerned as it was a bit quiet but it soon filled up. Wonderful amuse, great starter and the John Dory main was delicious. Beautifully presented food, reasonably priced wine list and great service. It was wonderful and I would urge more people to visit this restaurant as the food is seriously good.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had dined twice at the previous Morgan M location and always came away amazed with the quality of food. Our first time at the new restaurant in Barbican, we were not disappointed. The winter menu was superb, and the garden menu for vegetarian dishes looked just as tempting. Settling for the carnivorous option, the fillet of beef and wild boar were outstanding. The amuse bouche was equally delicious, as was the rice pudding pre-dessert. We found the service to be polite and well timed. It was attentive without being intrusive. Some people have commented on the decor. I have to agree that it would benefit from some warmer tones to help the overall ambience. Somehow "beige" doesn't seem to do the food justice. We have eaten in a couple of "starred" restaurants in the last couple of years, and I have to say Morgan M is equal to these in terms of its quality of cuisine, yet half the price of some. We will definitely be back again.