“Wonderful Hotel!”

Ranked #80 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Brick, New Jersey
“Wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

We were very impressed with St. Ermin's from the check-in experience, which was quick. Our room was ready at 9am. When we asked for a larger room with a courtyard view (rather than the back of a building) we were told, "no problem" if we waited until the afternoon. The rooms are smallish, but have all amenities one expects from a luxury hotel. One of the nicest perks was the fact the rooms have (US) 110AC outlets and current. Also, wifi is free. Yes, FREE! Aside from the room, the location is as good as you can get in London. You're a 2 minute walk to the Tube and a 5 minute walk to a number of buses. It's an easy walk to Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and even Theatreland. In fact, if you want, you're a short walk to St. James Park for a nice walk or jog. I would return to the St. Ermin's in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces the center courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for saying how impressed you were with your whole stay from check in, to your room.
I was so pleased to read that we were able to offer you a larger room with a beautiful view of our courtyard and glad you liked it.
All of our rooms have multi way sockets as we realise how important it is for our guests to be able to charge their electronic devices without bringing lots of adaptors with them. I see you loved this facility.
We would really love to welcome you back and look forward to seeing you very soon.
Douglas McHugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Carlisle, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

We are presently on a five week trip to UK and our first stop was London. We spent 6 nights at St. Ermin. The hotel was lovely, clean, and very comfortable. Our room was a very good size. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and professional. The location was perfect for visiting all the attractions around London.

Hi Joyce,
How wonderful it must be to be on a five week trip! I am glad that you made St. Ermin’s your first stop.
It’s great to read that you found your room not only clean, but very comfortable. My housekeeping team work very hard to ensure that our guest rooms are really lovely ready for your arrival and I am proud of the work they do.
I can tell that you had a really enjoyable stay with us and hope that the rest of your trip went really well.
We really hope you will return to London again and when you do please come and stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

We are a family of 5 (children aged 10, 9 and 6 years old) and struggle to find hotels that provide rooms to accommodate us together, rather than seperate rooms or inter connecting and then we have to pay for two rooms a night. We found the perfect solution at St Ermin's. Their family room has 2 double beds and a day bed, plus 2 bathrooms. It was quite specious for a London room too. The staff were great. The location perfect. Breakfast amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel and I am hoping we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank MrsWCD
Hi There,
It made me so happy to read that you found our family room just perfect for your stay in London with your family.
They are really very lovely rooms and as you mention have two bathrooms which are a plus when you have children as well as adults in one room. They are very popular as not many hotels in London offer this facility at all.
I am so pleased to read that my team made you feel so welcome and that you found our lovely breakfast selection amazing.
We hope you will come back to and will be waiting to welcome you soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

We stayed at St. Ermin's for one night in August 2014 & very much enjoyed our stay. The hotel is beautifully presented, with an amazing lobby area - our room was also very nicely decorated & very comfortable. A continental breakfast was included in the room price & I was genuinely impressed by the selection on offer - four types of cheeses, different breads, cold meats, smoked salmon, pastries etc. - really excellent. The other thing I especially liked about the hotel was the bee hotel on the fourth floor, near to our room (although fortunately the bees did not come in to our room!): an unusual, quirky touch. There were a few less good points, which nonetheless wouldn't put me off returning. An afternoon tea was included with our room package (we booked via secret escapes). I had emailed the hotel to see if we needed to book a time to have our afternoon tea, & their response led me to believe we could have it on check in. When we checked in just after. 2pm we were told we needed to book, and it turned out the earliest available time was 4.30pm. This messed with our plans a little, as we then had neither time nor appetite to fit in dinner before seeing a show at 7.30pm. Not a big deal but slightly annoying - presumably the hotel wanted to keep as many slots free as possible for walk-ins. The afternoon tea itself was nice but not amazing & I wouldn't have been that happy to pay £58 for 2 which is what it would have cost us (extra if you wanted pimms or prosecco). The sandwiches weren't that nice and one had some paper in it... The prawn sandwich had no discernible prawns in it, just pink mush. One strawberry tart was so soggy the pastry was collapsing - Mary Berry would not have been impressed. On the plus side, the presentation was beautiful, the scones & the salted caramel tea cake were lovely.
The only other negative was that some staff on reception weren't overly welcoming - efficient & not unhelpful, of course, just could have been a little warmer.
I would certainly consider returning to St. Ermin's, overall it was charming & comfortable, but I'd go elsewhere for afternoon tea (I'm probably a little spoiled by many trips to Betty's Tearooms in York!)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Hi Helen,
Thank you for commenting on how beautifully presented the hotel is and how amazing our lobby looks. We kept a lot of the Victorian charm about it when we refurbished as it is such a beautiful piece of architecture.
I am glad you liked our continental breakfast selection. We do include a lot of different items which guests say is a great to start their sightseeing day.
Our bees would have been pleased that you went to see them. They are really busy this time of year and with the new Bee hotel there are bumble bees as well as Honey bees. Our bees produce the honey we use in the hotel for breakfast, cocktails and in our Caxton Grill menu, so it doesn’t go to waste.
I was so sad to read that your afternoon tea experience with us was not a great one. This is unusual as we receive so many comments saying how great it is and that it was relaxing. I will certainly speak to my Tea Lounge and Food & Beverage Managers as this is certainly not the level of service I would have expected you to have received and I can only apologise on their behalf for this.
I can assure you that if you return to the hotel and we have booked this in advance for you you will receive the afternoon tea experience that you should have done as it truly is not indicative of our service levels.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and we look forward to it.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed last night 30th August 2014. The hotel has beautiful landscaped frontage tucked away from the busy main drag. It has a very homely comfortable feel, much better than big corporate faceless hotels.
The room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2pm which was a shame, and we had to wait an hour and a half, but we took the opportunity to walk around st James park which is minutes away.
Our first room was 402 which was a lovely spacious room but the adjoining door to 401 meant that the celebrating ladies in that room sounded like they were in the room with us. Maybe a bit more sound proofing needed. We were efficiently moved to a room on the third floor which was tiny but thankfully very quiet.
Our afternoon tea was delicious.
Our continental breakfast was good and had lots of choice.
I would definitely recommend, and go back.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonTurtles
Hi There,
I am delighted to read that you felt we had a very homely comfortable feel about us and this made you feel welcome.
I was sorry to read that your room was not ready upon arrival. We do aim to have all rooms ready for our 2pm check in, but sometimes they are a little delayed in peak times. I am only apologise for this, however I am pleased that you took a stroll round St. James Park which is just beautiful.
Glad we were able to move you to another room on the third floor due to some noise that the people in the next room were making. I am sorry if this disturbed you, but glad you found your new room very quiet.
It’s great to read that you took afternoon tea with us and really like it. This is a popular past time for guests these days as they find it such a relaxing thing to do and our tea lounge, balcony and terrace are all such lovely places to have tea.
Thank you for recommending us to others and we really look forward to seeing you again soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

St. Ermin's is steps from everything in Westminster, and half a block from the underground--St James station--, yet it is quiet. The rooms are compact which is typical for London, but they are well thought out so efficient. And, it is clean. There's a good desk with multiple outlets in both 220 and 110, so charging is easy. They provide tea and coffee in the room and will send fresh milk on request. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent. The windows open for fresh air. If you have a room that overlooks the entry and gardens, you may also find a bit of cigarette smoke from below.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Hi There,
Thank you for saying how quiet you found our surroundings. Due to the unique horse shoe shape of our building our courtyard is like a peaceful haven away from the hustle & bustle of central London.
All of our rooms have the multi way sockets as we feel this is extremely helpful to our guests especially these days when everyone has more gadgets than adapters. They come in very useful.
I am pleased that you found breakfast excellent. We do receive so many comments about what a huge selection of breakfast items we have ranging from cereals and fruit to full English if you wish to have this.
All of our windows open to a certain width which is restricted as we are very Health & Safety conscious, but this is rare in big cities as most windows are closed and a single pane. So I am glad you liked to be able to open them.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit London. We will be waiting to greet you.
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

Excellent location, luxury accommodations. We were only here for one night, so I cannot review the cleaning staff/service, and we also used our Marriott points for a free stay, which definitely made it feel worthwhile. We felt like a royal couple in a palace! Virtually right around the corner from the REAL Palace (Buckingham) and within walking distance of all the major attractions. We had a suite with a living room area, separate bedroom overlooking the gardens. The shower facility feels as if you have your own spa. Staff was very very helpful working out transport to the airport the next day (very early). We did not eat in the restaurant, at at one of the many restaurants nearby just for change of atmosphere. Highly recommended, especially if you are able to use your Marriott points!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view.
Hi Sofie,
I am so very pleased that you found our location just excellent.
It was a pleasure to look after you and it’s great that you felt so special. We love our guests to feel very welcome and looked after.
I see you had one of our lovely spacious suites with a courtyard view. Our courtyard is particularly beautiful this time of year as all the flowers are in full bloom, so just lovely.
It’s great that my team were very helpful and friendly and this is exactly the level of service we aim to provide to all of our guests. Thank you for commenting on this as they will appreciate it.
I do hope you will be able to return to St. Ermin’s at some point in the future and we will be waiting to welcome you.