“A hidden gem!!”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #75 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We chose St Ermin's Hotel because it was the most reasonably priced hotel we could find in London!! And wow, were we impressed!! This is an old hotel which, from what I understand, was closed and completely refurbished. It is absolutely top of the line in terms of decor, comfort, service and ease. The lobby is traditional, with some beautiful improvements. The rooms are very modern, and not too small considering most hotel rooms in London. The driveway up to the hotel is grand, and beautiful. The 'continental breakfast' was very good, and for a small 'up charge' we were able to have a hot breakfast. The staff were lovely, and SO helpful. I would absolutely recommend this beautiful hotel and hope I get to stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jillkc11
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Hi Jill,
It made me so happy to read that you were so impressed with the hotel.
We are a grade II listed building and built in a very unique shape which many of our guests love especially our courtyard area, which is quite and away from the busy streets of London. I am pleased that you thought that the refurbishment that we carried out was just beautiful and in keeping with the character of the property.
I see you had our Continental breakfast each day and found this really good. We do have a great selection of items such as pastries, yoghurts, fruit, cheese, cold meats, bread, jam, honey and cereals etc. Our guests do love this. I hope you sampled our hot breakfast done to order also as I note you mention this.
I have a very good team here at St. Ermin’s and I work closely with all of them to achieve a high standard of service without it being unfriendly or intrusive. I am glad that you found them all to be so lovely.
It was our pleasure to welcome you and we look forward to seeing you again when you next return to London from Boston.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

St. Ermin's Hotel ended up being very eloquent hotel and was tucked in off the street. Flying in from the United States we traveled all night and arrived at the hotel at approximately 1130 in the morning. Knowing we would be in early, we asked for an early check-in when we made the reservation. The room we had reserved was a double queen room with two bathrooms. Unfortunately, those types of rooms were not cleaned yet when we arrived. To resolve the problem they offered an upgrade of a one bedroom suite that had a fold out sofa for the same money that we planned to pay for the original room. The room was clean, decorative and spacious until a rollaway and unfolded the sofa bed. It seemed the furniture in the living room area was not conducive to the use of the sofa bed. The room was on the third floor and when we walked to the room, we were able to observe the bees they raise from a distance behind protective glass for fresh honey.

During the first two days of our trip the main elevator was not functioning and we resorted to interior stairs rather than use a supplemental elevator about the size of a London phone booth. It also took as a little extra time to get used to how the lights work in the hotel room as in London there's usually a master power switch you activate when you come into a room. Luckily we mastered that feat. The master bedroom queen bed very comfortable, both bathrooms were excellent and clean, but the sofa bed and rollaway were a poor choice for sleeping. The view from the windows in the room was nonexistent. The glass had been painted so the view of an alley or some other part of the hotel could not be observed.

Overall we write the hotel of four out of five, realizing most rooms are small in the UK and finding to queen beds is almost impossible. Had we followed through with the original plan stuck with the original room we probably would've been more comfortable. One thing this hotel had was location, location, location. As promised the tube stop was right around the corner from the hotel. Up the street and a five-minute walk was Buckingham Palace. Down the street and an easy 15 minute walk was Westminster Abbey and Parliament. You could not ask for better hotel for location.

Room Tip: Specify that you want a room with a view out the window. Our windows were painted to obscure the all...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Hi There,
I was pleased to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade to a Suite on arrival as your family room was not ready for you due to the early arrival.
We do try our best to offer early check in’s wherever possible, but this really depends on the rooms available at the time. I was sorry to read that you did not feel that the sofa bed provided was comfortable. We generally receive lovely comments about our Suites being spacious and comfy, however I thank you for your feedback as it is important to us.
We do from time to time have to carry out maintenance on our lifts, however as you mentioned we do have several other lifts that are guests are able to use. I apologise for any inconvenience this caused during your stay.
I see that you found our bees on the 3rd floor. They are very special to us and we love our guests meeting them as well as seeing the Bee & Bee hotel we have built for them. I hope you tried some of the honey they produce for us. It is truly lovely.
I believe that overall you had a very good stay with us and I would love for you to return to the hotel the next time you visit London and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the St Ermin's during our 30th anniversary trip. This hotel is truly a jewel tucked away in a place you'd never expect it to be. Our room was VERY comfortable, along with service from the very friendly staff, it was the perfect hotel! It is literally a 3 minute walk from Westminster Abbey, and maybe a 5 minute walk to Buckingham Palace. We couldn't have had picked a better hotel. We would HIGHLY recommend it! Charm, location, and tremendous service...you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Brad,
I was very happy to read that you chose St. Ermin’s to celebrate your 30th Anniversary. Many congratulations!
Thank you for saying we are a true jewel that is hidden away amongst the hustle and bustle of central London.
I am pleased that you found your room very comfortable and that my whole team with very friendly and made you feel relaxed.
It’s great to have you recommend us to others and it would be a delight to welcome you back for a second visit in the future when you next visit from the USA.

Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Loved the hotel. Stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed the fact it was so close to everything. Lots of nice little restaurants around and you could walk to the main attractions. It was a little pricey but it's to be expected for London. I would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2014
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Hi There,
How nice it was to have you stay with us for 5 nights and that you found us very close to everywhere that you wished to see.
I can tell from your review that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

St. Ermin's is one of the most fabulous places to stay in Central Westminster, London.....a luxurious Victorian style historic Hotel....not your run of the mill Hotel, but one with true luxury and class. The staff is impeccable, helpful in every way possible....they bent over backward to help make transportation arrangements for us to our early train to Paris and our return from Paris. Our room was slightly small, but appointed in luxury, including a most fabulous & comfortable be, and there was no street noise to keep us awake. Perhaps the greatest feature of the hotel is the Caxton Grill and their Chef....the food is top shelf, whether for their basic Continental Breakfast, which went way beyond any Continental Breakfast I have ever experienced, to their absolutely fabulous Chef's designer dinners....the place is immaculate and is a delightful place to stay...close to everything; just a short walk to Buckingham Palace & Westminster Abbey. This was one of the best Hotel experiences we have ever had, thanks St. Ermin's!

Room Tip: I would upgrade from their Superior Room for a couple. It was a bit tight, although luxurious.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi There,
It was a real pleasure to have you stay with us and I was so delighted to read the title of your review.
I have a good team here at St. Ermin’s and I am very proud of them. We work closely together to achieve the service levels that we do and to make our guests feel exceptionally welcome.
It’s great that you managed to eat in our Caxton Grill and sample our very talented chef’s menu which many guests comment on. I am glad you commented on our very extensive Continental Breakfast selection as many other guests say how this fills you up ready for your day out sightseeing.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back when you next visit London.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We were in London from 8/13/14-8/19/14. We requested for an early check-in but our room wasn't available when we arrived. However the reception immediately offered a room where we can take showers while waiting for our room. On our 3rd day, the A/C in our room stopped working. As soon as I reported it we were immediately offered another room until the a/c could be fixed in our room. It was already 11:00pm when the a/c stopped working so the maintenance can't fix it right away. But the night manager Maya offered us a room for the night but we declined because it was a cool night anyway. However, due to the inconvenience, she offered us free breakfast for the 3 of us for the remaining days of our stay and also free access to the tea lounge. The customer service of this hotel is fantastic!! And the location is so ideal. It's tucked away from the busy streets but close enough to everything. The St. James station is just 3 minutes away. Victoria station is 10 minute walk. Also there are so many restaurants and shops like Topshop. Along Topshop is Victoria colonnade which is a mall next to Swarovski. And inside are restaurants, there's a Tapas place and Italian. And this hotel is walking distance to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. We took the tube and bus everywhere. It was our first time in London and my choice for hotel location was Knightsbridge where Harrod's is or Westminster. We went to Knightsbridge too and it was just stores nothing to see but chaos. I'm so happy we decided to stay in St. Ermin's. I didn't give it 5 star because it's pricey and the rooms are not that spacious. I was with my husband and 13 year old daughter and felt a bit cramped. But then again we had 3 large luggages ( we don't travel light) and 3 carry on. And also coming from Connecticut where everything is spacious, maybe that's why we felt the room was tight. But overall it was comfortable. And location, location, location!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank John W
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Hi John,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review upon returning to Connecticut.
I was so sorry to read that you were affected by a fault with our A/C on the days you were staying with us, but very pleased to hear that my team were quick to try and solve this issue for you and that we provided your with breakfast the next morning as recompense.
I see you requested and early check in, however your room was not ready on arrival. We do wherever possible try to honour early check ins as we know that some guests travel a long way to stay with us and like to check in straight away. On this occasion the hotel was very busy so an early check in was not possible. I am very really happy to read that my front of house team offered you a room to freshen up in whilst waiting for your room to be ready.
I note your comments regarding the size of your room and can advise that we have many different categories at St. Ermin’s all of which vary in shape, size and view and this is mainly due to the unique way in which our beautiful Grade II listed hotel was built. It would be wonderful to have you return to stay with us again and perhaps you could speak to our reservations team who would be able to help with a more spacious room. We do have some wonderful family rooms which have two queen beds and two bathrooms so very spacious.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We stayed at St. Ermines Hotel for 5 nights on a recent trip to London. Beautiful hotel in walking distance of so many sights. We found the "wake and Take" breakfast to be very adequate for 5 pounds. We did not eat in the restaurant on site but did order two room service meals that were reasonable and quite good. Our room had plenty of space for 3, two double beds and a seating area. Be sure to enjoy the flowers, herbs and tomatoes in the cul de sac as well as the bees in the third floor viewing area. The real highlight of our stay was the staff. From the man who does the Wake and Take breakfast to the concierges, to the doormen, everyone made our stay exceptional. They were all so helpful and kind.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank nansker

Hi There,
I am so pleased to read that you took advantage of our Wake & Take breakfast, which is ideal if you wish to go out sightseeing early in the day. We have a choice of muffins, croissants, juice, yoghurts and coffee or tea and we have a lot of people taking this especially if they are going on a coach tour.
Glad you loved your room and found it adequate as far as space for three people was concerned.
I see you loved our courtyard garden which is very quiet and it’s great you found our tomatoes and also our bees! Our bees are very precious to us as they provide the honey we use in the hotel and we look after them very well especially now they have not only their hives but their very own Bee & Bee Hotel.
Thank you for commenting on my lovely team that I have here at St. Ermin’s. I am very proud of them and we work hard together to achieve not only a high standard of service, but a welcoming one.
It would be truly lovely to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to St. Ermin’s one day and we look forward to it.