“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #80 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Washington, DC
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous! When you arrive you are greeted by a beautiful courtyard. The entrance is grand and the service is immaculate. We had the two bedroom two bathroom room which overlooked the courtyard. The location is superb. It is walking distance to many attractions. The afternoon tea was mediocre at best, which is why I deducted one "star". The elevators are extremely small but the gym is a nice size. The service is impeccable.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Hi There,
It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I am pleased you think the hotel is gorgeous. We receive lots of lovely comments about our courtyard and entrance to the hotel, so thank you for yours.
I see you have one of our lovely Family rooms with two queen beds and two bathrooms. These are very spacious and are ideal if you are sharing with your family or a friend. They are very popular!
We do receive lovely comments about our Afternoon Tea and I am sorry that you didn’t quite meet with your expectations on this occasion.
By your comment on the size of our Gym I can only assume that you used this during your stay, which is great to hear. Glad you found it had all that you found this to be a good size.
Thank you for your comments about our service being impeccable and I will pass this on to my team as they will be pleased to hear this.
I do hope you will be able to return to the St. Ermin’s for a stay in the future.
Douglas McHugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,051)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed for just one night at St Ermin's and although I have stayed at countless London hotels for work and pleasure I was surprised there was such a gem of a hotel I hadn't yet discovered. If you value a good night's sleep in a beautifully quiet location then this is the place for you. Tucked away just off Victoria Street and a one minute walk to St James's Park underground station, it really offers the best of both worlds - easy to grab a taxi or tube and close by to shops yet just minutes away from a walk in St James's Park and all the sights that London has to offer in Westminster/Parliament Square/Trafalgar Square/The South Bank and beyond. It was an easy walk to Waterloo Station with so many attractions to pass the time on the way (admittedly in glorious Spring sunshine!).

What set St Ermin's apart for me was the customer service. We had booked and paid for a 'Superior' Room. I didn't investigate this on the hotel's website or I would have realised that 'Superior' meant 'Standard' and that the room size is extremely small. The room we were given on the second floor overlooked the well of the building which means the blind needed to stay down - and I can't bear that. I asked at reception if it was possible to change rooms for one that didn't overlook the well and, without any fuss whatsoever, we were upgraded to a wonderful Kingsize room with a huge bay window overlooking the hotel entrance and garden. I must have mentioned it was my birthday because shortly afterwards there was a knock at our door with a beautiful little birthday cake and bottle of water.

We then chanced upon the afternoon tea offering upstairs... again, we hadn't looked into this before we arrived and had no idea of the hotel's reputation for superb afternoon teas. We decided to abandon our plans for pre-theatre supper and instead settle down for afternoon tea (with my son who had also joined us). It was £34 per head to include a bellini cocktail, which in itself was good value. What we were then told was that there was a promotion with unlimited bellinis (for 90 minutes!). To be honest, we sat for a couple of hours having bellinis, sandwiches, incredible pastries and cakes, beautiful scones and a selection of teas - all elegantly presented in Lisbeth Dahl china... couldn't be faulted. Again the staff were superb.

After our theatre trip we walked back to the hotel hoping to have a bar snack and a coffee in the Caxton Bar but despite advertising this was available until 11pm we were told at 10.45pm that no more snack orders could be taken. This isn't the first time this has happened to me in a hotel, so I wasn't surprised, but was nevertheless irked to be told room service was our only option - with no thought to the fact that guests want ambience as well as sustinence! We dashed upstairs and by 10.52 (I checked!) had ordered room service only to be phoned 16 minutes later to be told the kitchen couldn't take any more orders as the main menu ended at 11pm. The only reason I'm mentioning all this is to explain the amazing way that with superb CUSTOMER SERVICE St Ermin's turned this big negative into a positive by offering us whatever we wanted from the night menu completely complimentary. So half an hour later two freshly-made pizzas and two beers arrived at no cost at all. Although I would have preferred a central London hotel to offer more than sandwiches and pizzas for guests returning from the theatre, it was good of the hotel to deal with it so well. Next time we'll order our bar snacks before we go to the theatre!

The next morning we opted to pay the additional £5 each to upgrade to a hot breakfast. Breakfast included the standard options you would expect for a hotel of this calibre - but all delicious and again with good service.

We would definitely revisit - we happened to have a good deal via on-hotel.com (and I think most people nowadays do check for any special offers?) but I would certainly pay more than we had done and still feel we had experienced good value.

Well done to the staff at the hotel - for going the extra mile!

Room Tip: Avoid the 'superior' rooms which are very small and mostly overlook the well of the building...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
johannesburg
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel, and would certainly come back again.
I had booked a deluxe room with Hotels.com which, while not cheap, seemed to be good value, given the hotel location and standard.
Very friendly check in staff, smooth check in, nice room overlooking the Scotland Yard rotating sign, very high quality finishes in the room- solid heavy doors, total silence when windows closed.
I had room service breakfast which was very good, didn't eat at the hotel apart from that.
Nice atmospheric bar downstairs, again, very friendly staff who knew what they were doing.
Location next to St James Park, Buckingham Palace, Westminster ( all easy walks ) cant be beaten.
Would very much like to stay here again, this was a very classy establishment.

Room Tip: if you can get an 'outside facing room' then do- some rooms do look into an inner courtyard...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi There,
Wow, what a lovely title to your review….thank you!
It is lovely to read that you will return to St. Ermin’s and that you found all of my team very motivated and friendly. It do work closely with them all to achieve this level of service.
I see you loved your room and found the finishing touches of high quality. Glad you had room service for Breakfast which meant that you could eat at your leisure and relax. I am pleased you enjoyed this.
We would love to have you stay with us again and very much look forward to it.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

An experience we wished we had missed.
Tea arrived but was getting cold by the time the milk arrived.
Scones, cream and jam came first! ......followed by the finger sandwiches (some on red coloured bread and others on green tinged) not very appertising to look at......what is wrong with brown or white bread? along with some deserts. These were all presented on what looked like small wall shelves, black in colour and so tall they obscured the view of accompanying friends. Some desert items were so sweet as to be beyond consumption.
We would have preferred some nice china to present the sandwiches/sweets on.
The chef should visit The Ritz to see how afternoon tea should be served.
Staff were pleasant as were the surroundings but presentation and organisation was very poor.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank barryrog
Dear Barry,

I was very sad to read your review as you clearly did not enjoy your recent Afternoon Tea experience.

I find it a great shame as we receive lovely comments saying how wonderful our china and our selection of tea items are.

I have noted your comments regarding The Ritz and can only say that we do not aspire to be like The Ritz and are completely different in style.

I am pleased to read that you found my team and our Tea Lounge very pleasant.

I am very sorry that this was not to your liking on this occasion.

Kind regards
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We booked this hotel through European Destinations (see seperate review if interested) and I am so very glad we did. Upon arriving to this hotel on a very wet and cold London morning, it was a true London experience. This was our first time to London and we were welcomed with open arms. All of the staff was so customer service oriented it was amazing...the concierge was so helpful and our room was beautiful. We only took advantage of the breakfast one morning and I wish we had done it more (but early mornings and early train times prevented this). I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. It is in a great location (we walked everywhere or took the train/tube). It is a hop away from the St. James station which provided extremely easy access to everywhere is London. I hope you love it as much as we did!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunflw19
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for your lovely title “Wonderful Place” we think so.
I am so pleased to read that you thought my team provided you with lovely service and were very warm and welcoming.
I am glad that you found your room beautiful and that you took advantage of our wide selection of breakfast items on one occasion during your stay with us. We do receive some lovely comments about both our Continental breakfast with our selection of cold items and our English breakfast with eggs cooked to order.
It would be out pleasure to welcome you back for another stay when you next visit London.
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Very Nice hotel in a location that is hard to beat. Within walking distance of many of the sites. The hotel itself is very nice. We had 2 rooms one small and the other smaller. Regardless, very high quality. Staff very friendly as well. Would definitely stay here again. Nice to have a smaller underground station like St James nearby.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CedarParkAg
Hi There,
How wonderful that you think that our location is hard to beat! We think so.
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at St. Ermin’s and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed every aspect of it, from my friendly team. to the quality of rooms, to location.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel is just stunning and everything is perfectly formed. I stayed here on a 3 night business trip in January 2014. In terms of the location, it's a 2 - 3 minute walk from Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament and then into the Embankment.

The rooms are lovely although they are not very big (I was in a a standard double room). Decor in the rooms is modern; they are clean and the bathroom is very well maintained and again, very well done out with simple but classic tiling and good toiletries. There are tea and coffee making facilities including a cafetiere and fresh coffee which is replenished every day.

I ate in the bar each night which was very atmospheric with a big roaring fire and some lovely squishy seats in addition to bar stools and high tables. Food as you would expect was quite expensive with fish and chips being around £18 and similar for a minute steak sandwich and chips. The only problem for me with the bar food was that there aren't any desserts (unless you purchased a plateau for 2) and since I have a sweet tooth, this was a bit disappointing.

Service was very good, efficient and polite but it wasn't excellent and I always feel that there is a distinct difference between theses two descriptions. I suppose I'm trying to say that they didn't go the extra mile which is what would be needed for me to rate 5 stars. The walls between the rooms must be relatively thin as I was next door to a loud American man who made several 2.00am phone calls.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and it felt a safe place to stay as a business woman travelling on my own.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JoP70
Hi Jo,
Thank you for taking the time to posting your review and for providing us with a 4 stars.
I am pleased to read that overall you liked your room which would have been our Superior Double which is our lead in room category. We do have many categories of room here and some are larger than others, but it is great that you found the little extras in yours to be really good.
I am glad you ate in the Caxton Bar each evening as this is a great place to relax and at the same time watch the world go by. It is quite cosy and I am pleased you liked your food. I have noted your comment regarding desserts and I am sorry that we did not offer the option of having one from our main menu. I will certainly speak to my F & B Manager about this as it is not indicative of our service level.
It’s great that you felt that the St. Ermin’s is a very safe place for a business woman travelling alone and we would love to welcome you back again soon.