“Nearly perfect”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #80 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was very pleased with our stay at this hotel and but for a few hitches, it would've been perfect.

This is a reasonably priced hotel (by London standards) in a great location, right behind the St James Park tube stop and just a stone's throw from Buckingham Palace. It has great "curb appeal" with the courtyard entrance set back from the street. The decor of the lobby, restaurants and rooms were nice as well. Our room was small- as to be expected- but modern, clean, comfortable and well-appointed. It had tea and french press style coffee available in room.

The glitches: shortly after we arrived, a startling alarm went off in our room. After the third time it sounded I called the front desk, only to be told that it was a fire alarm test. It would've been nice if we had been warned at check-in. We ordered room service on our second evening and the club sandwich (16 £!) arrived on soggy bread and with cold fries. The second dish- pasta -was likewise stone cold. After checking out, I noticed we were erroneously charged for a full English breakfast (continental breakfast is included), which I didn't find out was a mistake until it was too late. Also, I was shocked to discover 13£ in charges for two local calls! That seems excessive even by hotel standards and the rates should've at least been posted in the room. These unexpected charges at check out left us feeling a little flat in what would've otherwise been an near perfect stay. Nevertheless, we'll stay there again next time we're in London.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room about the ground floor. We were on the ground floor facing the courtyard but...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am pleased that you liked your room, the décor in the lobby which is truly beautiful and we do receive many lovely comments regarding this.
I was sorry to read that you were unaware of the fire alarm practice which happens every Friday afternoon and signs are posted around the hotel and on guest televisions to advise that this will be happening and that there is no need to evacuate the building.
Thank you for your very constructive feedback regarding room service, which I take very seriously and have discussed this with my team. I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual service levels and I can only apologise.
From your review I see that you will stay at the St Ermin’s Hotel again on a next visits and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back.
Douglas McHugh

Write a ReviewReviews (5,881)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stated here as it had recently joined the Marriott Autograph collection.

The hotel is very nice and impressive. On checking in the hotel did not want to upgrade me- despite having upgrades available (I could see them in the Marriott app). They eventually did.

I asked about lounge access to be told that they don't have one, despite the Marriott website saying that they did, and even showing pictures if it.

The room I was allocated was nice, but overlooked other rooms - which I suspect many of them do.

Food in the bar area was very good as was the breakfast.

Maybe it's down to the hotel being a new member of the Autograph group and that's why it was a struggle to get Marriott Elite privileges.

The wifi was good, however for whatever reason I had to use another guests name to get it to work on my room, plus they tried to charge for it on departure - something that Marriott Rewards members at Platinum level get for free.

It really is a great hotel and very nice, I think I was unlucky in regard to service and knowledge of Marriott Rewards benefits.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank TheMarriottPlatinum
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I travel extensively for business, and spend between 50-75 nights a year in various hotels. I will say that my recent experience at the St. Ermin's was exceptional. The facility is beautiful and the location is outstanding. What made our stay so enjoyable, however, was the warm and hospitable hotel staff. In particular, the concierge team was incredibly attentive, and provided my friend and I with tons of helpful tips to make our 7 night stay very memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
It was a pleasure to read your review and I am so pleased that you found my team very hospitable. I will pass this on to them all as they will appreciate reading this.
I am glad that you found your stay with us exceptional and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a convenient location near London's main sights, as well as close to the metro, places to eat and places to shop. Hotel lobby and entry area are very pretty. Staff members were very nice and helpful. Room was upscale with comfortable beds, robes, slippers, and coffeemaker. There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel; however we did not eat any meals there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am really please you had a great stay with us and I can see you liked your room and facilities.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here for two nights last week and didnt want to leave! It was sheer bliss! We arrived at st ermins at 10am after a long 24 hrs of travel and they must have been able to tell how tired we were and in need of showers so they checked us in straight away-bless them. The hotel is in a gr8 position and we managed to walk to all attractions and shopping streets. Staff are fabulous, friendly, helpful and they smile which would indicate they enjoy what they do! Hopefully management appreciate their hard work. We had breakfast booked with our room and it was divine.cooked food was additional 5 pounds. We didnt know about this but it didnt matter because what was provided had plenty of choice. Suggestion for light lunch try french quarter cafe & for good pub fare buckingham arms next street behind st ermins(check out on trip advisor)

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
It is great to read that we were able to provide you with an early check in on your arrival from a long flight.
I am pleased you found my team both friendly, helpful and smiling all the time, something I loved to hear and I am very proud of them all. It is also nice to see that you enjoyed our really wide selection for your Continental breakfast.
Thank you for your feedback which I will pass on to everyone.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Absolutely beautiful hotel from its entrance, to its rooms. My partner and I went for a few days for part of his 30th birthday celebrations. Everything was immaculately presented, the staff were brilliant and it was conveniently a minute walk away from St James tube station. The photos don't do it enough justice! Thank you for a truly memorable stay

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
Many thanks for your review and I would like to wish your partner a belated Happy Birthday.
It is really nice to read that you liked the décor of the hotel, your room was great and my team were very friendly and helpful.
I am pleased that it was a memorable stay for you both and I hope you will return.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We just finished a lovely 5-night stay at St. Ermin's. Excellent location and the staff are so professional, friendly and provide 5-star service. William of the maintanence dept went above and beyond with my special electrical needs -- wonderful smile and great ability to provide the extra electrical connections I needed for my medical equipment. Ceasare at check in was so gracious and prompt and the Concierge desk assisted us several times during our stay. I'd recommend it highly!

Room Tip: We had an executive room at the back of the hotel -- only a roof-top view but it was very quiet and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review.
I am glad that you had a good stay and thank you for recommending St Ermin’s to others.
It pleases me to read that you found my team gracious and very helpful throughout your stay. I am proud of them.