“Gorgeous hotel, great location, average service”

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #76 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We travelled in a small group & had 3 rooms booked. Before arrival we extended our stay by an additional night in each room. Unfortunately, the reservation team lacked in communication skills and it took several emails on my part to sort this out. Upon arrival at the hotel, our check in paperwork stated we were staying only 4 nts instead of 5. Much to the credit of the receptionist, she sorted this within minutes and all was ok. The negative part of check in - the receptionist lacked any warmth and personality. We were not offered any information on hotel amenities or directed on how to find our rooms. Even when our group of 6 were all standing confused in the middle of reception, we had to ask a porter which direction to go! Only now, 3 days into our stay have a realised the hotel has a gym! And that is because I just read it on their website whilst searching for other information! Their website also offers a spy pack for every child who stays.... We have not been offered anything of the sort for our son. I don't believe I should be having to ask for things like this either.
On the positive side, St Ermin's is a gorgeous hotel in a fantastic location. This is our first visit to London and most major attractions are within walking distance. Our room (family room with 2 bathrooms!) is huge!! Which is a pleasant surprise. The other 2 rooms are quite small but nicely layed out and furnished. They are adequate for a single person as well as a couple.
The true test of a review - Would I stay here again? Yes! Most definitely! I just hope that the staff find the welcoming warmth that people who have travelled over 24 hours need when they arrive at a reception desk!

• Stayed: August 2013
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and that you found your family room very roomy as well as our location being good.
It is always good to receive feedback and I can assure you that this lack of warmth is not indicative of our usual service levels. I will ensure that this is addressed in our future on-going training sessions.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed for three nights in a family room which has two baths. Our family (two adults and two grown kids) had a great time. We enjoyed the location as it is close to many historic sites, the Tube and in a relatively quiet neighborhood. The staff was very helpful, the hotel charming and the food at breakfast was enjoyable. For our first family trip to London, we couldn't ask for better.

Room Tip: Family room for four has two bathrooms .
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am really pleased that you liked your family room and found the two bathrooms great.

It is lovely to read that you found the hotel, breakfast good and my team very helpful especially as it was your first trip to London.

I do hope that you will return to London and we would love to welcome you back.

Warm Regards

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Stayed here for three magnificent weekends during the course of June and July. It's true what they say - the first floor bendy balcony is truly the eighth wonder of the modern world. It's like some mad Dali creation, but heaven knows, it just works. Ceilings to die for. Could've stayed another week, just to gaze up at the cornices. Good enough for Royalty them cornices. Amazing. Not a single complaint. Indeed, were I to voice so much as a single complaint, I should have to correct myself and say to myself 'what are you complaining about ?, go on then, elaborate ?', and, I have to say, that in those circumstances, that I wouldn't have a single leg to stand on. Only tiny tiny tiny mention - the Americans. Yeah ? I mean we all love 'em to bits, don't we ? But, possibly, management could just give them the subtlest of hints to 'tone it down' with the accent. I mean, I don't mean to be rude but with so many Americans in the reception area (or, should that be 'lobby'), at moments it felt like I was in blinkin' Toronto, not Westminster. Come on, you guys, enough with the accents already !!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank poachedorfried
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am very pleased that you had a great stay with us and that you loved our refurbishment and that my team looked after you during your stay.
We worked hard to keep to the Victorian building that St Ermin’s is and to make you feel like Royalty when you enter the lobby.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

A welcoming atmosphere, good and efficient service, and a prime location, all made this a pleasant experience which we shall hopefully repeat in the future. After a tiring day in Town, it became a very welcome oasis to which we could return knowing we would be most comfortable.We would recommend this hotel to our friends and relatives.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was very pleased to read that you found a welcoming atmosphere and that our service provided to you during your stay.

My team and I work hard together to ensure that this is always the first thing guests experience when walking in to St Ermin’s as it is important to us that you feel relaxed.

I am glad that you really enjoyed your stay and thank you for recommending us to your family and friends. It would be our pleasure to look after them too.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was a wonderful hotel with great service and a perfect location. We were only in London for two nights. I wish we could have stayed longer to have had more opportunity to enjoy the hotel. It does not have the grand expansive entance as other hotels where we have stayed in other visits to London; but really more impressively grand in its architecture and decoration. The room was very comfortable with modern conveniences; although we did not have any view. We also booked through Marriott. I would hope that booking through Marriott was not somehow disadventageous as an earlier review suggested. We will stay at St. Ermin's again on any future visits and will tell all our friends of this hotel if they plan trips to London.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve U

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your lovely review. It is lovely to hear that you liked the architecture that the St Ermin’s has all around the hotel and this is in keeping with it’s Victorian character.
I have read through your comments regarding booking through Marriott and can assure you that there are no disadvantages from making your booking this way. There is the benefit of the Marriott, Rewards Programme that you can join which allows you to build up points for each stay you have at a Marriott hotel, then using them towards hotels, shopping and travel which is a great advantage.
Due to us being very unique in the way the hotel is built we have many different shapes and sizes of rooms as well as different views so one of our other room categories may be more to your liking as far as view is concerned. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay overall and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent 9 days at this very very good hotel in an outstanding location with some of the best staff I have come across in my travels. I have never met a concierge staff that was so competent and helpful regardless of how simple or very repetitive or complex the question. Professional and courteous as ever I have seen.
Unfortunately, with the good, comes, what in my opinion, is the bad. We booked through Marriott and felt that what we received was far less than many other that booked through third party booking machines (Expedia, hotels.com etc) received. We got a room in the corner of the building overlooking another office building a few meters away. We were extremely please to see we had 3 windows in our room only to realize that we could not either open the windows or even pull up the curtains. It was therefore very dim and dingy in the room all the time. We also had breakfast included but it turned out to be only the continental. Out turn down service was non existent even though we asked the front desk several times until we finally gave up asking. By contrast, members of our party booked third party, got a room a floor higher, overlooking the courtyard, full breakfast and turn down service without asking all for 30% less than we paid. I did speak with the Duty Manager about my concerns the day before we left and he offered us a full breakfast the day we were leaving. In fairness, I never asked for anything, I just wanted to inform him of the discrepancies. I felt strongly that booking through the hotel/Marriott should guarantee better rooms and services than booking at a discount website.
I will forever recommend St Ermins Hotel as the place to stay in central London. The location cannot be more perfect and the hotel itself is a gem. I will though, suggest they do not deal with the hotel itself or with Marriott to book the room. They can get a better rate from online booking machines.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a corner room (ending in 16). Ask for a higher floor overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pete_Coach
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A gem. when you pull into the courtyard the hotel feels so grand and inviting. The location is steps from the tube. The decor is gorgeous and the staff was superb. We had stayed in a different part of London for a week and then at the end of our trip when we returned to London we wanted to try a slightly different area and hotel feel. it was very upscale in looks and feel. the concierge went out of their way to secure some theatre tixs by calling the box office for us. It was an excellent choice for our final days abroad.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you chose St Ermin’s as your last stop of your trip.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel, my team, especially concierge who are always ready to go that extra mile for you if you need something last minute. I hope you enjoyed the theatre.